Would you work on a Sunday?

1235»

Comments

• TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've worked Sundays for a while now. It doesn't bother me, they're just another day.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,363
    Forum Member
    I worked weekends (and a weekday afternoon/evening or two) to support myself throughout college and uni.

I have had full-time jobs since then that have had such large workloads that using my freetime was necessary to keep up to date, so would often do so on Sundays. I have also had jobs where the occasional event or photoshoot had to be held on a Sunday, and I was expected to attend.

So no - no issue with working Sundays here!
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get double time on Sunday's, so hell f'in yes!!

However, if not for double time then my boss can shove it up...
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Not me, I did my share of that years ago.

I'm now enjoying the social side of Sundays again, the only day when I get to meet up with friends who work mon-fri.
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I'm self-employed, I go to work when I want to, and come home when I want to.
    At the moment I work Tuesday to Friday, prior to that I worked Friday, Sunday, and Monday, but then I was putting in 12-14 hours per day.
    It was worth it to me, I knew that I'd have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off.
    There are few things more satisfying than to get asked to do something, and to be in a position to say, "Thanks, but no thanks, I'm going home, I'll do it on X-Day if you like."
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not now. For decades I did weekend shifts so not any more. Many people do, and I still think that you should be paid an increment for weekend work. That seems to have gone out of the windows though, decades ago!
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Occasionally i will work a sunday. I work until 10pm every Saturday, so i dont work sundays very often.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a translator, I work on a Sunday if I have a job to do. Like everyone else here, I expect to be able to go to shops, get access to medical care, fire services, etc., regardless of the day of the week.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    As a translator, I work on a Sunday if I have a job to do. Like everyone else here, I expect to be able to go to shops, get access to medical care, fire services, etc., regardless of the day of the week.

Not like everyone on else here, shopping is not one of those important things for me on a Sunday, if they were shut that would not bother me.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrying on from the thread about new Sunday trading laws, I am curious to see how many working people on here would be prepared to work on a Sunday if they don't already do so. No matter what job they do. For those who already work Sundays do they wish they didn't?

Haven't worked on Sundays for a few years, but happy to do so if necessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not like everyone on else here, shopping is not one of those important things for me on a Sunday, if they were shut that would not bother me.

Would you expect ambulances and fire services, though?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you expect ambulances and fire services, though?

I didn't highlight them, you assumed that everyone needed to be able to do to the shops on a Sunday, I don't, doesn't mean I oppose them opening.

Emergency services are essential everyday...shops are not.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked from home for many years, then was self-employed too. I was usually oblivious to the day of the week, or even whether it was a bank holiday! (For my overseas clients, they would likely still need support as they were at work.)

In fact there wasn't much difference between different times of the day, I could be busy with something at any time.

But if I had a conventional job, I think I'd prefer working at weekends, and have time off when I can get things done, or go out and places would still be open. (I wouldn't volunteer for night-shift though; I remember working through the night in winter and never seeing daylight for weeks on end.)
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I would if necessary, but I would prefer not to.

I really value being off work at the weekends, because it allows me time to get together with family members who are also off work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I didn't highlight them, you assumed that everyone needed to be able to do to the shops on a Sunday, I don't, doesn't mean I oppose them opening.

Emergency services are essential everyday...shops are not.

We're in agreement, then.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I work every sunday. I tend to work 6 or 7 days every week, between 35 and 55 hours every week. This is in hospitality - bar work.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I spent 37 years in a job where Sunday was just another day to be worked, although I got paid more for working weekends. I didn't mind working Sundays and actually enjoyed having my days off mid-week.

I'm not expected to work weekends in my current job but if I have a lot of complex tasks to complete I sometimes go into the office over the weekend because the office is quieter and I can work undisturbed. I don't get paid any extra for it but I can take the equivalent time off later in the week when it suits me to.
  • -Unicorn--Unicorn- Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I picked no, more down to problems with zero buses from my home town to my work town on Sundays than anything else.

If this wasn't an issue, I wouldn't particularly care. Need to get round to passing my driving test :blush:
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Yes,

I currently work every Sunday 8am - 4.30pm at ASDA on Checkouts. It's really annoying losing my Saturday night but it's something I have always done, well since last year when I started working. There are benefits to working on a Sunday such as you are working when other things are closed or reduced service. I prefer to be off when things are open and I am able to do stuff.

In Scotland shops and stuff are allowed to open normal times meaning shops here are allowed to be truly 24 hours unlike in England and Wales where religion must be more prominent.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I worked a shift system. No choice.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I've never worked at the weekend in all my working career, so I'd find it difficult at first, but if I needed to, to put food on the table, of course I would. At the moment, I don't need to.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Not every 'etc' is open for business on a Sunday, or Saturday, so don't expect to get access to everything any day of the week.