External Hard Drive, files don't show up, but are still there

Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cannot get my Packard Bell Store & Save 3500 to function properly since I had the mother board replaced on my computer. I have loaded the CD etc. checked the drivers etc All I can get in 'my computer' is LOCAL G. when open appears empty, I know there are documents stored but cannot access please help. I checked them on a borrowed laptop and they are accessable there. But not on the newly installed USB ports on my own PC. I have the same issue with a USB flash drive. I have tried plugging into different ports no effect.

The ports definately work as I have a wireless adapter and bluetooth dongle plugged in and they work fine.

Any advice or solutions greatly accepoted, as I have trawled the net without success.

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Exactly what was the original problem which resulted in you having to replace the motherboard?

Was the replacement motherboard the exact same model? If not, was Windows reinstalled or anything done to ensure it was working correctly (repair install of Windows, chipset drivers installed, etc.)?
  • zmikeozmikeo Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure as not dealt with the issue with an extenal hard drive, but it sounds like you may have to take ownership of the files.
    I have had the issue with an internal hard drive after re-installing windows, I could see the folder but it appeared empty.
  • Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware the motherboard was completely replaced. I don't think it is the exact same model. The additional USBs were added in the pci slots at the back. The original problem was not exactly specified to me except to say that it's corrupted and needed replaced. The windows wouldn't load/became corrupted. Now a new motherboard has been installed (not by me, in no way knowlegable enough) and different usb ports via pci slots at back of unit. The chipset as far as has the correct drivers installed etc.These usbs function in a basic way as in they recognise stuff being plugged in and as I say recognised the wireless adapter and promted to install software.

zmikeo thanks, though I'm not sure what you mean by take ownership of the files :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to

My Computer, select the disk and -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner. Pick your account from the list. Also check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'. Apply.

The above is for XP, but it should be similar on Vista or W7.
  • zmikeozmikeo Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How to take file ownership in XP

as it says you have to do it in safe mode in XP

not sure how to in vista or win 7 but am sure google can help you.
  • Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. Am at work but will try the solutions later. I am on XP Sp3.