Advice please on how best to respond

biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ok, this is not anything of earth shattering importance. but nonetheless it is important to me and I need advice.

My flat mate and good friend recently broke a glass food container. Accidents happen.

I have just noticed that he has bought some plastic replacements.

I kind of guessed this might happen and realise I should have mentioned to him that I prefer glass for food. Plastic can react with some foods.

Now my quandry is this: I don't want to undermine his effort. You have to understand that the fact that he HAS gone to a shop and replaced the thing he broke IS kind of a big deal. Therefore I don't want to discourage him. However I want to mention that I think glass is better for storing food and it is my preference. Or should I just shut up and accept his replacement?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I'd let it go until it crops up in conversation in the future - you may be able to mention then that you prefer glass for that reason.

Are you OK using the plastic container though or will you need to buy a new glass one if you don't mention anything?
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say thank you very much, and leave it at that. If it bothers you to the extent that you cannot use the plastic one, buy yourself a glass container.

ETA: Hang on a sec, just re-read the OP - was it your container that was broken, OP?

If so, I would offer the advice as above. If not, then I'd say buy your own separate containers anyway and mention your preference if the subject ever comes up, and if you feel the need. Can't think why you would though.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Is this container for something specific? You say plastic can react with some foods, would it react to food you keep in the container or can you just buy another container made of glass and use that for food that may react to plastic and use the plastic one for food that won't. Its very vague. If its neither here nor there then I'd leave it.
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it close to the hob and turn it up to maximum heat. When it melts all over the worktop, you can smugly say "I knew that plastic container would be no good"
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    Throw a b****fit
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just buy some glass ones and mention you saw them going cheap in a sale, having two sets never hurts.

I wish this had been the sort of dilema I'd had with housemates back in the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »
    Just buy some glass ones and mention you saw them going cheap in a sale, having two sets never hurts.

I wish this had been the sort of dilema I'd had with housemates back in the day.

This! then just use the glass ones
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Is there something intrinsically wrong with plastic containers that I ought to be worried about?
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Is there something intrinsically wrong with plastic containers that I ought to be worried about?

Mine transmit waves that convert into voices that talk to me.

It makes me feel wanted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Mine transmit waves that convert into voices that talk to me.

It makes me feel wanted

Phew, thought that was just me.
  • biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies. Sometimes it is too much trying to decide what is best all by myself :)

The challenge of living with someone, I have realised, is that it is very easy to get lost in the tiny details, rather than keeping an eye on the broader picture.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »

^this^

Especially the last line! Let's hope this is as bad as it gets for you, OP!
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    biomorph04 wrote: »
    Advice please on how best to respond

Corner him in the kitchen and shout, "Oi you slag. This ain't glass, this is fackin' plastic you mug. Now get your pretty little arse out there and buy something decent." Make sure to give him a playful tap on the 'arris as he runs out of the room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    ^this^

Especially the last line! Let's hope this is as bad as it gets for you, OP!
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Corner him in the kitchen and shout, "Oi you slag. This ain't glass, this is fackin' plastic you mug. Now get your pretty little arse out there and buy some decent stuff." Make sure to give him a plaful tap on the 'arris as he runs out of the room.

:D:D:D You scamps.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When there asleep wack them on the head with the plastic jar. when they awake just say your lucky there not glass as you would be in A&E by now...:p
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »

Plastic can get scratched which creates handy places for bacteria to grow and it stains pretty easily depending what food you put in it.

I use a tupperware container for my lunch.
    I shovel left-overs from the previous nights curries into it then take it into work and microwave it.
    After 2 or 3 days the tupperware container was permanently stained a nice orange colour.
    Doesn't bother me but it doesn't look very pretty any more.

If you've got containers in your kitchen for long-term storage of stuff then glass will usually look nicer, and be more hygenic, for longer.

On topic, if it was me I think I'd just put up with the plastic containers for a while and then, if/when they start to get a bit manky tell the flatmate you're going to get some replacements and ask them to contribute.