The Roux Legacy starts 29/01/12

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For all those out there who prefer a better class of cookery programme... or just needing a dose of MRJ...

Good Food channel have been advertising this... to start next week...

A series about the esteemed Roux family... shows them cooking in an ordinary kitchen... various chef talking heads... should be good.

:)

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There can never be too much MRJ on my TV screen

The man oozes class. I swear if I was female I would have massive crush on him. Even as a man, you can't help but love him
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    For all those out there who prefer a better class of cookery programme... or just needing a dose of MRJ...

Good Food channel have been advertising this... to start next week...

A series about the esteemed Roux family... shows them cooking in an ordinary kitchen... various chef talking heads... should be good.

:)

It's already on my Sky+ ready to record, any excuse to drool over MRJ;) *swoon* I've been missing him since Masterchef The Professionals finished:cry:
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two Michel Roux are on Steve Wright's programme this afternoon presumably to promote this TV programme.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    The two Michel Roux are on Steve Wright's programme this afternoon presumably to promote this TV programme.

Thanks, I've just put the show on:) Shame I can't see MRJ:( but listening to his voice is the next best thing I suppose
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I saw this advertised. Good Food, Dave and the other UKTV channels are doing a good job of producing home grown programs recently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an excellent programme. Good to get some background on the Roux brothers. Michel Rouxs' place in Switzerland was stunning. What a family and what a legacy they have left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an excellent programme. Good to get some background on the Roux brothers. Michel Rouxs' place in Switzerland was stunning. What a family and what a legacy they have left.

And nice to see in the final credits that they all donated their appearance fees for making the programme to charitable organisations supporting the catering and hospitality industry.
    Forum Member
    I see a lot of ladies drooling over Michel Jr in threads on this forum.

Now the guys have a Roux to gawk at. Michel's daughter. She popped up in the show the other night and she's a bit of alright!
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I'm absolutely loving watching this. Can never have too much MRJ on tv!
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an absolutely amazing series!

It's fantastic to see so much of the background about the four of them. I don't think we realise sometimes what an influence and effect they've had in the UK over the years and how many amazing chefs have been through their kitchens.

I have to agree about MRJ's daughter, she was the hottest thing in his kitchen *grin*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the programme and the Rouxs. Couple of things I've noticed though...

One, they make a big issue of the fact that the Waterside Inn has maintained its three stars for 25+ years, including when Alain took over from Michel, but gloss over the fact that Le Gavroche lost one of its three stars in the same year that MRJ took over from Bertie (but I suppose they would)

Two. Of all the celeb chefs that that have appeared as former "Roux Chefs" and "Roux Scholars" etc.......Gordon Ramsay is conspicuous by his absence
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an absolutely amazing series!

It's fantastic to see so much of the background about the four of them. I don't think we realise sometimes what an influence and effect they've had in the UK over the years and how many amazing chefs have been through their kitchens.

I have to agree about MRJ's daughter, she was the hottest thing in his kitchen *grin*

Working in France at the mo, so not in his kitchen at present.

Pity.....
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely loving watching this. Can never have too much MRJ on tv!

Sick of it now too many Rouxs at the one time :( and too many sycophants.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick of it now too many Rouxs at the one time :( and too many sycophants.....

Not sycophants but Michelin starred chefs who appreciate what the Roux brothers did for food in this country. Take away their influence and I guarantee you would have never have heard of half of these chefs.

DFI it was mentioned in last nights programme and Albert said he was delighted they took a star away.

The best line came from Michel the other night when he said whenever they went to Billingsgate they were called Mick and Bert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    Love the programme and the Rouxs. Couple of things I've noticed though...

One, they make a big issue of the fact that the Waterside Inn has maintained its three stars for 25+ years, including when Alain took over from Michel, but gloss over the fact that Le Gavroche lost one of its three stars in the same year that MRJ took over from Bertie (but I suppose they would)

Two. Of all the celeb chefs that that have appeared as former "Roux Chefs" and "Roux Scholars" etc.......Gordon Ramsay is conspicuous by his absence

I get the feeling that the Roux brothers senior may not be overly happy with the direction that Ramsay or even Pierre-White have taken and the way they've represented the industry in the media.

I might well be wrong on this one though...
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I have noticed is that Bertie, though he can be quite humorous with the remarks he makes, very rarely smiles, he always look so deadly serious but the other night his face did momentarily broke into half a smile when he retorted in the kitched to a remark his son said.
    Forum Member
    I noticed it but just put it down to the personalities.
    Albert is the more serious, Michel the more charismatic. Reverse with the sons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode about the Roux Scholarship is fascinating, it looks like a Professional Masterchef type affair!

So funny when Alain said to James Martin he thought the rhubarb was okay :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that the Roux brothers senior may not be overly happy with the direction that Ramsay or even Pierre-White have taken and the way they've represented the industry in the media.

I might well be wrong on this one though...

I don't think you are. The Roux style of personnel management is completely at odds with how Ramsay et al work.

Which is why so many of their former chefs have so much respect for them.
    Forum Member
    I watched the Family Business episode last night and I was a bit dissapointed that they glossed over the other restaurants and shops.

They didn't even mention the names of the other restaurants or what happened to them.

To much filler in the series. The same handful of clips over and over.
    Overall I have enjoyed the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight is definately a little bit of an eye opener.

Seeing Albert being so frank and open about being a womaniser and watching Michel Jnr cooking with Emily was quite something to watch.

Can't wait to see what the next installment brings :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monica telling the lovely Emily that she makes a better risotto than Mimi (sorry...MRJ)

And I just know that everyone went "Ahhhhh" when 10 month old Paul Roux appeared in his chef's jacket with his name embroidered on it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I had to cancel my Sky package so I have to miss the rest of the series. Hope it gets a repeat on terrestrial.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »

And I just know that everyone went "Ahhhhh" when 10 month old Paul Roux appeared in his chef's jacket with his name embroidered on it

I did :o