Options

Masterchef Australia SERIES 4 starts soon

1777879808183»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked on Wikipedia and found it funny the Beau full name is Beau Cook :D
  • Options
    honeypothoneypot Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after that final I'll eat humble pie :)

I was not expecting to enjoy that so much, but the three courses with their own choices for the first two and a pressure test dessert was for me the fair way to play it and on the night the best man won:D

I've never had a problem with the TV edits and production issues, of course things will melt under hot lights and sauces may start to split, we aren't stupid and we know it's not fairies that clean the workbenches when the time is up. I do have issues with 'Watch' messing up when cutting the programme down, I hope they get enough complaints so that they will leave next years alone!

See you on the all stars thread :D
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 200,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the right result, but I did think J was going to win it ,after getting sevens/out of ten for cooking raw lamb, beautiful it was not, it would have gonestraight back,!!!
    Still a good ,show , my missus has sky + the all stars thingy ,,,cheers for the thread...
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly delighted that Andy won:) He was my favourite from almost the beginning. I really warned to him when he was in the elimination test with Sam. I thought he was really helpful to Sam and i just saw a lovely side to him. Have to say i nearly had a heart attack - thought for a few mins he wasnt going to make it through the first round last night - a deserved winner!
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I really really wanted alonso to win. He deserved it. Vettels car makes him great. Alonso is pure talent. I wasn't a fan til this season. His humility and ability was amazing.

But back to masterchef. Lets make an Andy calendar haha or an Andy, Ben and Beau calendar. Hubba. Bonus month of wade lol

Absolutely with the F1 rumtruffle, Alonso was pure class with a car that was less than impressive..we have next year to right a wrong ;)

But I'm digressing ... what I wanted to say was that I had a chance to google something that has been bugging me for weeks

Sumac! I didn't know how it was spelled (sounded to me that it should have a silent 'T') but they seemed to use it a lot in their dishes, I'll have to go and see if I can find it in our more salubrious of shops, it will help with the beautiful Asian flavours I'm sure :)

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/powdered-sumac
  • Options
    freckle59freckle59 Posts: 42,993
    Forum Member
    Anyone excited.... enough to start a new thread? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    I really really wanted alonso to win. He deserved it. Vettels car makes him great. Alonso is pure talent. I wasn't a fan til this season. His humility and ability was amazing.
    I could not disagree with you more about Vettel, he deserved the championship just as much as Alonso. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to descend into an off topic argument. :)

I do, however, agree with you regarding Alonso, who over the last couple of years has grown on me. I think it was just his apparent obsession with Hamilton and what he was doing during races a couple of years back that marred him a bit in my eyes.
    But back to masterchef. Lets make an Andy calendar haha or an Andy, Ben and Beau calendar. Hubba. Bonus month of wade lol

I really enjoyed this series. I knew some time ago that Andy won (couldn't resist looking it up :o) but it didn't spoil it at all for me and there were still things along the way that surprised me, even last night with some of the scoring I was oohing and ahhing. :D
  • Options
    freckle59freckle59 Posts: 42,993
    Forum Member
    Oh theres already a new thread! I didn't spot that!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1763938
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    freckle59 wrote: »
    Its really dangerous as well. I broke my back in three places 7 years ago and if someone looked like they were going to do that to me I'd stop them with a fist to the face, or a superquick sidestep at the last minute. But you wouldn't have to have a broken back for that to hurt - just a bad back and it could be months of pain. She needs to be told that its not a good look in a grown woman as well. Very odd.

I don't have back problems, but even I thought it would probably do a lot of damage to somebody who did.

Couldn't we include Alice's OH as well?:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could not disagree with you more about Vettel, he deserved the championship just as much as Alonso. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to descend into an off topic argument. :)

I do, however, agree with you regarding Alonso, who over the last couple of years has grown on me. I think it was just his apparent obsession with Hamilton and what he was doing during races a couple of years back that marred him a bit in my eyes.

I really enjoyed this series. I knew some time ago that Andy won (couldn't resist looking it up :o) but it didn't spoil it at all for me and there were still things along the way that surprised me, even last night with some of the scoring I was oohing and ahhing. :D

Haha I was probably a bit bitter last night with my posting! Fair play to vettel. I was a fan. Just went off him a bit this season but he's a great talent :-)

I am amazed I didn't peek. It was better not knowing. I may not spoil season 5 for myself next year!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Have been reading a couple threads on Aussie websites about this season, and they're almost identical to this one! Though I suppose you'd have to be very forgiving not to pick up on Mindy's obsession with the word 'beautiful', and Julia's cyborg-like personality.

I also learned that Mindy is gay, which surprised me a bit (not sure why it did, but there you go).

I've enjoyed this season as always, but the standard of cooking was far, far weaker than past seasons. If Adam, Marion or even Kate had been in this season they would have walked it. I hope they sort this out next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Haha I was probably a bit bitter last night with my posting! Fair play to vettel. I was a fan. Just went off him a bit this season but he's a great talent :-)
    I am a bit protective about little Seb. :o:D
    I am amazed I didn't peek. It was better not knowing. I may not spoil season 5 for myself next year!
    I started off looking up people who got on my nerves to see when they left. Then one night after a few glasses of wine I just couldn't resist looking. It was a surprise at the time because Andy hadn't featured very much - it was still the Mindy/Amina/Audra show at that point.
    NoahBoy wrote: »
    Have been reading a couple threads on Aussie websites about this season, and they're almost identical to this one! Though I suppose you'd have to be very forgiving not to pick up on Mindy's obsession with the word 'beautiful', and Julia's cyborg-like personality.

I also learned that Mindy is gay, which surprised me a bit (not sure why it did, but there you go).
    You know, I did wonder. I thought she could be a lesbian or a raging feminist (or both :D). I noticed that she only ever picked women to work with (as far I remember) and when they showed her homecoming the people at her party were almost all women. I told myself off at the time thinking it doesn't have to mean anything just because she seemed to have a largely female circle of friends.
    I've enjoyed this season as always, but the standard of cooking was far, far weaker than past seasons. If Adam, Marion or even Kate had been in this season they would have walked it. I hope they sort this out next year.

As long as they keep up the pretty boys for us girls, it's fine with me. :D:D
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Absolutely with the F1 rumtruffle, Alonso was pure class with a car that was less than impressive..we have next year to right a wrong ;)

But I'm digressing ... what I wanted to say was that I had a chance to google something that has been bugging me for weeks

Sumac! I didn't know how it was spelled (sounded to me that it should have a silent 'T') but they seemed to use it a lot in their dishes, I'll have to go and see if I can find it in our more salubrious of shops, it will help with the beautiful Asian flavours I'm sure :)

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/powdered-sumac

I've found sumac to be a pain in the backside to find and in the end I had to get my dad to bring me some from Spain, of all places. Good luck!
  • Options
    gerturdeannagerturdeanna Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Arrrggghhhh!!! Bloody sky box knocked off the last 10/15 mins or so!! Hubby is devasted as he doesn't know now what Andy is doing! He loves seeing at the end credits who is doing what and he noticed on Ben's was that he and Andy have a restaurant?? Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
  • Options
    Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I was on night shifts so completely missed finals week. Saved all the episodes for my post-nights hibernation. I know I am slow, but I was so shocked that Kylie didn't make the final. I must say that this year during Final's week the judges actually based their eliminations on the dishes put in front of them at that time not the contestants past performances. Masterchef UK could take note.

I think Kylie was a bit too confident in herself and that was her downfall. Kylie was my favourite to win it till that point. I really saw an all female final 3 with Mindy, Audra and Kylie. I thought any of the three of them could take it. I don't quite know how the boys snuck in, Andy crept up quitely barely getting through and then breezed through like a hurricane. From the early days of the top 24, I would have picked Audra and Amina to be in the final. I never would have picked Andy.

I do think that the judges showed favouristism in the dessert centre piece challenge. I don't see how undercooked dense cake could have won that. I thought the judges go for flavour over appearance. I do think that they were showing favouristism to Kylie until that disaster with the nougat.

To bring it to an end, I was glad to see Julia make the final. I know she had been criticised for her robot like disposition but I think she did really well. I never thought that she would even make the top ten! The judges seemed to criticise most of what she had cooked throughout the competition so I was pleasantly suprised. I think she did really well. I am so glad that Andy won. He clearly learnt a lot throughout the competition and his humility was just beautiful! ;)

I wonder if Audra would have won had it not been for the revelation of her catering company.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, I just googled to find out what Andy is doing now, and he and Ben have a website!
    http://www.benandandy.com.au/
    - there's not much on it to be fair, but it's a start.

Then I found this, haha!
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/ben%20and%20andy

(I also found some fanfic, but that was scary.)
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Audra would have won had it not been for the revelation of her catering company.

The producers knew that from the beginning. Audra didn't hide it when she applied.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I looked up the Aussie boards as well. This has to be my favourite post.
    How can good cooks like Amina get elimination. And Alice who can't cook continues to survive. She make a great restuarant host. Deb is another one, bit of tomatoes and stuff on toast and your through. Come on

I thought we were harsh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    triton333 wrote: »
    The producers knew that from the beginning. Audra didn't hide it when she applied.

I agree that the producers knew but I don't recall the judges ever mentioning it on the show. They mentioned Julia's cake stall, so why not mention Audra's business? It just seems as though there was an attempt to hide this.

Was interesting to see John Torode show up and dare not to praise the "beautiful one." I am guessing he will not be invited back. Although thinking about it, Mindy reminds me of a woman (Jackie?) from MCUK last year or the year before who only cooked Asian flavours, was heavily favoured by the judges and co-incidently also dropped her food on the floor.
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the producers knew but I don't recall the judges ever mentioning it on the show. They mentioned Julia's cake stall, so why not mention Audra's business? It just seems as though there was an attempt to hide this.

That could have just been because the catering business might not have been relevant enough to what was happening in the show to mention it, or maybe Audra just never talked about it. You might be right, but there are innocent reasons also. To me, a catering business is a lot further away from amateur-only cooking than a cake stall. I wouldn't want anyone excluded because of a cake stall.

I don't know why they didn't just rule Audra out at the start. They don't exactly have a shortage of applicants.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Mindys welcome home party made that quite clear. I kinda like how it was no bug thing. On some shows it defines the character, not here..... Beautiful Asian flavour defined Mindys!
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Really are showing this from the start again. They're at the audition stage right now

It's always nice to have some Masterchef Australia to watch. I'd forgotten how fat George was after seeing the slimmed down version in series 5.