Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    It strikes me watching as much of this show as I do, that MC is very believable as a doctor. I know that he has done this for awhile now and that he is a very good actor, but I really do have to remind myself sometimes that he is not really a doctor, but "He plays one on TV" (as I think MC said once on a talk show). It just seems like it comes very naturally to him, the checking for the pulse, use of the stethoscope, etc. He is just really good at it. No wonder he has to sometimes remind himself that he really does not have a medical degree. :D

Martin Scurr, the medical consultant on the show says he's amazed at how natural M|C seems with procedures. He said it on video once but I can only find this article:

"I only have to tell Martin something once and he has it down perfectly. He is a natural comic with an innate gift for mimicry: once you’ve shown him how to conduct a mock medical procedure on a patient correctly, you never have to show him it again, not even from series to series."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2127091/Confessions-real-Doc-Martin.html
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    From William Shawcross to Doc Martin

Just spent an enjoyable couple of days catching all of William and Mary on YouTube. Thanks to the posters -

But talk about "sceneus interruptus" - OMG - it was like all of PW living in one house!!

When series 3 started, I found myself looking not at William but at DM. Although there was still a lot of light heartedness in the character, in many scenes his face was set in our well known DM scowl. I had to go back again to see the time overlap in shooting those and see that there was some. Maybe it was just the toll the constant upheaval was taking on William but it gave me a jolt.

W&M s3 gets really serious and troubled in many ways and all the family, work and friend troubles does take its toll on William's demeanor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I guess in the acting business an actress/actor has to make some important decisions when an opportunity comes your way as to whether to continue in a successful series or take the option of another one, or perhaps a play that comes your way. Katherine Parkinson is in the age group where she has proven by her past work she is a successful comedienne. As to Morwenna, I think she will work out, but her outfits have to become more zany, crazy looking. Too tame for me after Pauline.

I think Morwenna needs to wear a tad bit more jewelry. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you could bring back for Series 6 one DM character who has (apparently) left the show, who would that be and why?

There are so many, but I'll start with Pauline, as she was multi-dimensional, not just a cardboard figure, and often gave the Doc a run for his money. Plus, I'd like to see Al have a girlfriend again. Perhaps Pauline could return as the area midwife? :rolleyes:
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you could bring back for Series 6 one DM character who has (apparently) left the show, who would that be and why?

There are so many, but I'll start with Pauline, as she was multi-dimensional, not just a cardboard figure, and often gave the Doc a run for his money. Plus, I'd like to see Al have a girlfriend again. Perhaps Pauline could return as the area midwife? :rolleyes:

I'd have to pick Roger Fenn. Because he and DM played well together in past episodes and he was shown to be multi-dimensional and interesting. And I just like his personality and he's attractive, too.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)
    I'd have to pick Roger Fenn. Because he and DM played well together in past episodes and he was shown to be multi-dimensional and interesting. And I just like his personality and he's attractive, too.;)

Another vote for Roger Fenn. He could teach DM a thing or two. DM needs some smart friends if he is to stay in Portwenn. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Re-Watch

S3 e7
    Happily Ever After
    Director: Ben Bolt
    Writer: Jack Lothian (Or Jack Loath-ian as he became known after this ep aired).

Don't let the title fool you.

Martin and Louisa's wedding day finally arrives but is everyone and everything ready? Several people ask Martin if he's really serious about this, planting a seed of doubt in his mind. Al and Bert Large are providing the catering but run into a major plumbing problem at the restaurant and have to make alternate arrangements. The florist is arrested for trying to steal a bicycle. Martin has an argument with the vicar over his drinking and then has to find a replacement when the man falls and fractures his hip. Louisa's bridesmaid, Isobel Brown, is hit in the eye with a party popper.

Not only did they finish the season with this episode they only gave us 7 for the season. :cry::cry::cry:
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Not only did they finish the season with this episode they only gave us 7 for the season. :cry::cry::cry:

I've always wondered why only 7 episodes?
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)

Another vote for Roger Fenn. He could teach DM a thing or two. DM needs some smart friends if he is to stay in Portwenn. :):):)

Third vote for Roger Fenn.

I'm completely happy with Morwenna and don't need Pauline coming back to replace her. But, if DM is going to continue to grow as a person, having a friend we know he respects, would be a great addition to the show. They have several similarities in being long time crotchety bachelors (although we don't know if Roger was ever married or not, but if he was it was childless), newly in a relationship, and "by mistake" impregnating the woman thus winding up middle-aged dads, delighted to have a child/children.

Fenn was a very likable character.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Third vote for Roger Fenn.

I'm completely happy with Morwenna and don't need Pauline coming back to replace her. But, if DM is going to continue to grow as a person, having a friend we know he respects, would be a great addition to the show. They have several similarities in being long time crotchety bachelors (although we don't know if Roger was ever married or not, but if he was it was childless), newly in a relationship, and "by mistake" impregnating the woman thus winding up middle-aged dads, delighted to have a child/children.

Fenn was a very likable character.

Me too for Roger Fenn, for all the reasons stated.

However, I did get the impression that he had been married before -- but was estranged from his children from that marriage. I think it was in the bedside conversation with DM in the first series. And also, didn't he say something to DM about being given a second chance when he found out Maureen was pregnant with twins?
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Martin Scurr, the medical consultant on the show says he's amazed at how natural M|C seems with procedures. He said it on video once but I can only find this article:

"I only have to tell Martin something once and he has it down perfectly. He is a natural comic with an innate gift for mimicry: once you’ve shown him how to conduct a mock medical procedure on a patient correctly, you never have to show him it again, not even from series to series."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2127091/Confessions-real-Doc-Martin.html

He was interviewed on one of the "behind the scenes" programs after S1 and said the same thing. He specifically referred to the time DM checks Fenn's throat in (I believe) S1E2.

As for which character should return . . . perhaps MadMother can do this as a poll question.:)

As an aside, I WISH they'd do more with Chris Parsons. I know they have to be careful about DM having a true "friend," but I love their scenes together and wish we got at least a wee bit more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New chapter of Target now loading: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8247969/1/Target
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    He was interviewed on one of the "behind the scenes" programs after S1 and said the same thing. He specifically referred to the time DM checks Fenn's throat in (I believe) S1E2.

As for which character should return . . . perhaps MadMother can do this as a poll question.:)

As an aside, I WISH they'd do more with Chris Parsons. I know they have to be careful about DM having a true "friend," but I love their scenes together and wish we got at least a wee bit more.

Maybe. We're doing episode related questions at the moment but perhaps we could slip it in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Re-Watch

S3 e7
    Happily Ever After
    Director: Ben Bolt
    Writer: Jack Lothian (Or Jack Loath-ian as he became known after this ep aired).

Don't let the title fool you.

Martin and Louisa's wedding day finally arrives but is everyone and everything ready? Several people ask Martin if he's really serious about this, planting a seed of doubt in his mind. Al and Bert Large are providing the catering but run into a major plumbing problem at the restaurant and have to make alternate arrangements. The florist is arrested for trying to steal a bicycle. Martin has an argument with the vicar over his drinking and then has to find a replacement when the man falls and fractures his hip. Louisa's bridesmaid, Isobel Brown, is hit in the eye with a party popper.

OK, so I made myself watch this again. The first time I watched it, I thought they were giving us all these bad omens so as to build suspense, the better to enjoy the ultimately happy outcome. But no so -- at least this episode.

I'm sure we all remember Martin's rejoinder to Louisa that "you wouldn't make me happy either." When people have watched this, I'd love some comment on what in this episode possibly laid the groundwork for this. I have some ideas but basically I just think that mostly came out of the blue.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I'm sure we all remember Martin's rejoinder to Louisa that "you wouldn't make me happy either." When people have watched this, I'd love some comment on what in this episode possibly laid the groundwork for this. I have some ideas but basically I just think that mostly came out of the blue.

I'll watch for that when I watch the episode. The one thing I remember clearly about that line is how it really took Louisa aback. It's as if she had decided he wouldn't make her happy, but hadn't even thought of it the other way around. In this way, Martin was being more selfless than she was.

And I think I remember discussion in the past that Louisa leaving Martin at the altar was more selfish than the other way around. The whole village would gather around Louisa if it happened to her, but Martin would only have AJ - and he would be horrified at people feeling sorry for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wondered why only 7 episodes?

Happy to report that ITV has officially commissioned eight episodes for S6! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW, does anyone know when filming actually starts, and, before that, when the actors/writers/producers/director start regularly meeting? I just enjoy the end product, but would love to know what everyone's doing now and when they regularly assemble 9 to 5 in Port Isaac.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW, does anyone know when filming actually starts, and, before that, when the actors/writers/producers/director start regularly meeting? I just enjoy the end product, but would love to know what everyone's doing now and when they regularly assemble 9 to 5 in Port Isaac.

March 25 to July 26, 2013 according to things I've seen on Facebook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In previous years they have filmed from April to mid-July. I believe that the writers and producers have been meeting regularly for months. I don't think that they go down to PI until just before they start filming (though I don't know).
    Kernow might know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, I did get the impression that he had been married before -- but was estranged from his children from that marriage. I think it was in the bedside conversation with DM in the first series. And also, didn't he say something to DM about being given a second chance when he found out Maureen was pregnant with twins?

I suppose I vote for Roger Fenn too because he has the potential to be a true good friend to Martin, but it's a tough call. I'd love to see Pauline come back to either reunite with Al or put some closure there, and I'd love to have some more time with Mark Mylow, who I still miss.

Yes, NewPark, I believe you're right about Roger having been married before and having at least one older child. Seems that in the bedside conversation at the hospital he referred to his daughter who no longer needs him because she's grown up and gotten "a TV of her own" or something equally bizarre. And in another, later episode, you're right, he does refer to being given a second chance with the twins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »

I do too!!! He seems to be Martin's oldest friend. They obviously go back to med school days or maybe before. He even calls him "Mart". What a treasure trove of DM history he would be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would love to see any of the "former" characters come back. It might be fun if Mark Mylow were to come back to PortWenn, and he and PC Penhale could work on a case together! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Mary actually unfaithful to William or did she just fantasize about it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It strikes me watching as much of this show as I do, that MC is very believable as a doctor. I know that he has done this for awhile now and that he is a very good actor, but I really do have to remind myself sometimes that he is not really a doctor, but "He plays one on TV" (as I think MC said once on a talk show). It just seems like it comes very naturally to him, the checking for the pulse, use of the stethoscope, etc. He is just really good at it. No wonder he has to sometimes remind himself that he really does not have a medical degree. :D

I agree. He plays doctor very well. Definitely believable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oops, good memory, NewPark. Yes, he said all that. Okay, so he was married once and had kids and didn't have a good relationship with them. My bad. Thanks for clearing that up.
This discussion has been closed.