Best DNS server.

2»

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Yes i understand what you are saying i monitored over some months and used other dNs servers across the world and saw a drop of between .15Mbps to .25 Mbps not big i admit but was noticeable.

So yes anecdotally true.

I wonder why advice to local DNS servers if not using ISP DNS servers is given if it does not matter across the internet if there is not anything in it.

Thanks for your feedback it is interesting i have spoke to others in the business who agree it is best to use local DNS servers for such reasons i have mentioned.

Thanks for agreeing on the last point and gives credence to what i have said.

So differing opinions are always going to be there it has been interesting in what you think.
    Local DNS servers I guess are going to be quicker.

There is also a rumour that apple , possibly others, will have their DNS servers respond differently to requests based on the geo location of the requesting DNS server. So, for example big apple updates, if this were true, would be pushed from a server located physically near your DNS server.

I don't know if this is true or not. It's stupid if it is because there are much better ways of achieving the same thing.

It's worth mentioning that in this context local really means in on the same continent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

There is also a rumour that apple , possibly others, will have their DNS servers respond differently to requests based on the geo location of the requesting DNS server. So, for example big apple updates, if this were true, would be pushed from a server located physically near your DNS server.

I don't know if this is true or not. It's stupid if it is because there are much better ways of achieving the same thing.

It's worth mentioning that in this context local really means in on the same continent.

Using Local DNS servers i guess has answered my point in being quicker.

I can sort of see why apple and others may go down that route a good idea maybe i suppose the downfall on that it may not identify the nearest DNS server maybe and be inaccurate and maybe cause a bit of lagi in checking and identifying phase and result iin connection being delayed which may be couter productive in what is trying to be acheived.

Local as i understand it in DNS terms means country locale.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i understand what you are saying i monitored over some months and used other dNs servers across the world and saw a drop of between .15Mbps to .25 Mbps not big i admit but was noticeable.

Do you know what a DNS does ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of the big download sites have been doing this for years, even windows updates will come from your local server based on your IP address.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08/30/1635232/google-and-opendns-work-on-global-internet-speedup
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Most of the big download sites have been doing this for years, even windows updates will come from your local server based on your IP address.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08/30/1635232/google-and-opendns-work-on-global-internet-speedup

the thing that you have quoted me saying is not the same as the thing you think I said.

Your IP address and it's location is how you should distribute global traffic, it's how the system is meant to work and what I was referring to when I said there are better ways of doing it.

The location of your DNS server is something entirely different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thing that you have quoted me saying is not the same as the thing you think I said.

Your IP address and it's location is how you should distribute global traffic, it's how the system is meant to work and what I was referring to when I said there are better ways of doing it.

The location of your DNS server is something entirely different.

what I was saying is that not all DNS servers are equal. There some DNS server that on some websites are able to direct you to local mirrors of sites. However this is generally more likely to be done by the site itself rather then through DNS.
  • eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    8.8.8.8 is in europe (germany?)

the google usa dns server are completely different.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    eypon wrote: »
    8.8.8.8 is in europe (germany?)

the google usa dns server are completely different.
    Google use 'anycast' routing for their public DNS servers. Requests to 8.8.8.8 will be routed to one of many locations around the world where they host their DNS servers, based on which one is closest to you (in network terms)

One the subject of ping times: What really matters is the lookup and response time of the server. A server with a ping time of 30ms which takes 200ms to resolve an address will be slower than a server with a ping time of 100ms which takes 50ms to resolve an address. You can't judge the quality of a DNS server based on ping times (unless they are very, very slooooow). You need to measure the lookup time.
    Forum Member
    what I was saying is that not all DNS servers are equal. There some DNS server that on some websites are able to direct you to local mirrors of sites. However this is generally more likely to be done by the site itself rather then through DNS.

ok. if you say so. didn't look like that was what you were saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what a DNS does ?

Resolves a domain name to an ip address.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So if all DNS is doing is resolving the hostname you put in your browser to a machine (IP address), then your computer is initiating a TCP connection to the IP address, how is it possible for DNS to affect the speed of the transfer of data over that TCP connection?

There is no technical explanation for what you are saying. It just has to be coincidence or placebo / perceived difference by the user as technically it cannot make a difference. Except in extremely rare and unique configurations where DNS assists in geolocation of the content, but as other have said this is usually done by source IP, not DNS server IP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So how does it effect download speed ?
    Forum Member
    I think we've covered this haven't we.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anecdotal evidence is all i am going by and that is what i found and i said it can affect speed but that does not mean it will definitely will.

There could be numerous reasons all which have been covered.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this thread still going?