My laptop screen wont turn on

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
I have a Dell INSPIRON M501R and when I turn it on the screen doesn't come on and it beeps 7 times. Anyone know what is wrong with it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPU is dead

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19453179.aspx

How old is it, Im afraid you might need a new laptop. It can be repaired but at a cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    CPU is dead

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19453179.aspx

How old is it, Im afraid you might need a new laptop. It can be repaired but at a cost.

I bought the the laptop in April 2011, I really don't want to have to get another one it has all my things saved on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the the laptop in April 2011, I really don't want to have to get another one it has all my things saved on it.

7 beeps means there is a fault with the CPU, you can either buy a new CPU and get this fitted in a repair shop, or you can buy a new laptop. Your data should not be effected by the CPU issues. In other words you can buy a new laptop, take them both to the repair shop and ask them to transfer the data from the old laptop to the new one. Its an easy thing to do as long as you have the equipment and know what you are doing.

Depending on your operating system and device drivers you could even just take out the HDD from your old laptop and put it in your new one. Windows 7 is quite good at working out the hardware has changed, the machine will need to be re-activated.

Edit: Don't let them charge large amounts of money, you can plug your old HDD in to this (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20348837/537789650/Trixes-2-5-Sata-To-USB-Hard-Drive-Caddy-HDD-Enclosure-Case/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:20348837%7Cprd:20348837) as said below and do it yourself. Your old HDD will just slot out from your laptop once you find the correct cover.

Guide to remove the HDD from your laptop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5YSPimZCk

How to fit your old hard drive into the adapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmWwZKbS2o4

You then just plug the adapter into your new laptop and access it like a memory stick.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be able to buy a usb caddy for a few quid and remove the drive from the old lappy and then you can access it as an extra drive
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should really pay extra for the 3 year support. Then if anything goes wrong you can send it back and get it fixed.

You need to back your data up. If the motherboard has gone then you should be able to remove the hard drive, and put it in an external hard drive enclosure and use it.
  • crystalfissurecrystalfissure Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    OP, did your laptop ever get too hot and/or overheat at any point? :confused:
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should always be on a hard surface, I.e not carpet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should always be on a hard surface, I.e not carpet

or your lap (or so I have been told) so I believe there is a bit of a misnoma here laptop, should be called a 'hard surface top' but I suppose now that I have read my new name written down it does sound rather silly.:o
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    7 beeps means there is a fault with the CPU, you can either buy a new CPU and get this fitted in a repair shop, or you can buy a new laptop. Your data should not be effected by the CPU issues. In other words you can buy a new laptop, take them both to the repair shop and ask them to transfer the data from the old laptop to the new one. Its an easy thing to do as long as you have the equipment and know what you are doing.

Depending on your operating system and device drivers you could even just take out the HDD from your old laptop and put it in your new one. Windows 7 is quite good at working out the hardware has changed, the machine will need to be re-activated.

Edit: Don't let them charge large amounts of money, you can plug your old HDD in to this (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20348837/537789650/Trixes-2-5-Sata-To-USB-Hard-Drive-Caddy-HDD-Enclosure-Case/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:20348837%7Cprd:20348837) as said below and do it yourself. Your old HDD will just slot out from your laptop once you find the correct cover.

Guide to remove the HDD from your laptop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5YSPimZCk

How to fit your old hard drive into the adapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmWwZKbS2o4

You then just plug the adapter into your new laptop and access it like a memory stick.

Good advice.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    You should really pay extra for the 3 year support. Then if anything goes wrong you can send it back and get it fixed.

You need to back your data up. If the motherboard has gone then you should be able to remove the hard drive, and put it in an external hard drive enclosure and use it.

If the laptop was bought new in April 2011, then it will still be covered under the Sale of Goods Act (1979). A manufacturer's one year warranty or similar is in addition to your legal rights, not in place of them. SOGA gives consumers rights which I expect will be useful in a case such as the OP's. I.e. that if the goods weren't suitably robust and didn't last a reasonable length of time for the type and price of the product, then the OP may be able to ask to have the goods repaired or replaced, or receive a partial refund of the original purchase price.

This is of course only if the fault is due to the laptop not lasting a reasonable length of time, not if the fault is due to misuse. As the laptop is over six months old, the OP may be required to get an independent engineer's report saying that the fault is inherent and not due to misuse.

There are many places to read up on the SOGA online, but the OP might want to start here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    If the laptop was bought new in April 2011, then it will still be covered under the Sale of Goods Act (1979). A manufacturer's one year warranty or similar is in addition to your legal rights, not in place of them. SOGA gives consumers rights which I expect will be useful in a case such as the OP's. I.e. that if the goods weren't suitably robust and didn't last a reasonable length of time for the type and price of the product, then the OP may be able to ask to have the goods repaired or replaced, or receive a partial refund of the original purchase price.

Really? Well I've had a laptop fail after just a year and Dell didn't want to know.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Really? Well I've had a laptop fail after just a year and Dell didn't want to know.

This is very common. I strongly suggest you read a variety of sources concerning consumer rights granted by the Sale of Goods Act (1979). You might find the information very useful.

However, you say that 'Dell didn't want to know'. Unless you bought the laptop directly from Dell, your contract is with whoever you bought it from. And if it goes wrong, it's the seller who is responsible for putting things right and the seller is who you have to deal with. A lot of sellers will tell consumers that they have to deal with the manufacturer if something goes wrong with the product, but that's BS.

This country has some quite good consumer legislation, e.g. the SOGA and the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations (2000). However, many consumers don't know their rights, allowing ignorant (at best) or dishonest (at worst) sellers to rip them off by denying the consumers their rights.

Edit: This document explains some of the laws, including noting that due to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (2008) it is illegal for sellers to mislead consumers concerning consumer's legal rights. www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn02239.pdf
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend gave me one of these to repair about October last year. It's a failed motherboard and is a well-known problem of which Dell are well aware.

Since the cost of repair was prohibitive and it was only 14 months old i told him to contact Dell, even though he bought it new off Ebay

Almost immediately they agreed to credit him the amount he spent, in his case £399, but no refund. They also agreed to pay half of any upgrade if he decide to do that.
    He decided to do just that and they did indeed pay half the extra £230 pounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it directly from dell. I ended up selling it on eBay. Thanks for the info because ill be a lot more prepared in future. I paid extra for AppleCare this time around with my laptop. At least I know it's a speedy service if something does go wrong and of course earlier on this year the battery packed up. Though I am wondering if it would have been covered under that act. The batteries on MacBooks should be at minimum on 80% health after 300 battery cycles but mine was knack erred long before that!