Options

Was Lisa Riley the worst contestant in the history of SCD?

Comments

• Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, in fact she wouldn't even be in my top 20 worst. Maybe not even my top 50 worst. Hope she doesn't read this thread as it's quite mean spirited. Yes, she is lucky to still be involved with a show she clearly loves, but who would have said no to the chances she's had? I suppose Lisa is in the firing line now, just like Bruce, Tess and Claudia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    She was great and Robin especially is the reason why Lisa got so far - his choreography was brilliant to watch. However, there is only so much Robin can do for Lisa and nearly every dance was a dance that 'showed her personality' that it became tedious and she didn't demonstrate enough technique.
    Saying that don't understand why she is presenting the Strictly Live tour, thats a bit random.

I would say Dom who danced with Lilia was the worst - the worst to watch and apparently the worst to work with. Poor Lilia.
  • Options
    harmon-whitecarharmon-whitecar Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Russell Grant was the worst from the stand point that being camp and 'entertaining' and having fun was somehow worthy. He cemented the joke contestant role and now we're stuck with it.

Seeing Widdy (who was dire) was at least 'interesting' as her position on the show was 180 degrees different that what she normally did. That was intriguing (for a while) to see that side of her personality, just like it was with Deborah Meaden this year.

But Russell showed us nothing new, and he was a very poor dancer.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not by a country mile. She just flattered to deceive with her first dances and reached the ceiling of her ability pretty quickly and was over-hyped by the producers. I always enjoyed watching her dance with Robin once I adjusted my expectations accordingly.
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not the very worst but one of the most overrated, annoying, one trick pony that for some reason the judges loved. Those bang down splits are still laughed about.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I actually thought she was underrated in many of her dances. Her tango in particular.
  • Options
    alexandreealexandree Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there have been far worse than her
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Not even close. Without even thinking too hard there were Quentin Wilson, Richard Dunwoody, Fiona Phillips, Nancy Deliolio, Gary Rhodes.... the list goes on.

Add to that, Chris Parker, Kate Garraway, Russel Grant, Craig Kelly and, the most notorious of all, John Sargeant. I'm sure there are more but some of them I erased from my memory such was the trauma.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    Add to that, Chris Parker, Kate Garraway, Russel Grant, Craig Kelly and, the most notorious of all, John Sargeant. I'm sure there are more but some of them I erased from my memory such was the trauma.

It's clearly stated in the OP, not the worst dancer. The worst contestant. Now having flashbacks to Lisa thundering to the floor week after week doing the splits. Just vile. :mad:
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    It's clearly stated in the OP, not the worst dancer. The worst contestant. Now having flashbacks to Lisa thundering to the floor week after week doing the splits. Just vile. :mad:

And the majority of the thread disagrees with you. Those who have named Garraway, Sergeant, Widdecombe, Kelly et al may think they are the worst contestant too - which would comprise partially of 'worst dancer'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the majority of the thread disagrees with you. Those who have named Garraway, Sergeant, Widdecombe, Kelly et al may think they are the worst contestant too - which would comprise partially of 'worst dancer'.

You'll thank me in the long-run. When Lisa is made head judge you'll think back to this thread and sob a bit. ;)
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another silly thread. It was a year ago, time to get over it – she was popular, maybe for reasons you dislike, but fact is, she was popular. If you didn't like her for whatever reason, fine. But come on, trying rewrite history and make out she was bad makes you look silly.

Lisa wasn't an amazing dancer, but she was a passable amateur ballroom dancer, and a good dancer generally, regardless of her size. She had rhythm, timing, and was fairly clean in her moves. Some dances didn't suit her, some did – same as many other contestants. But what she bought to every dance, was tons of 'character' and 'entertainment'. This is subjective of course, but it's an important part of whether someone likes a dance or not. Some liked it, some disliked it. The majority obviously liked it.

She was also technically better than those who left before her. She left at the right time.

As I say, she was a good dancer, regardless of her size. But most people assumed because she was 'big' she would be the joke act that couldn't move. Well, she wasn't. She could move, she was clean in her moves, was extremely fit, and blew a few misconceptions. Good for her. But perhaps that's why she gets such a nasty response from some people on this board. How dare she exude such confidence. How dare she not be apologetic for her size. How dare she be brash and have a 'devil may care' attitude. How dare she realise that she can actually dance!
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda_Dean wrote: »
    Another silly thread. It was a year ago, time to get over it – she was popular, maybe for reasons you dislike, but fact is, she was popular. If you didn't like her for whatever reason, fine. But come on, trying rewrite history and make out she was bad makes you look silly.

Lisa wasn't an amazing dancer, but she was a passable amateur ballroom dancer, and a good dancer generally, regardless of her size. She had rhythm, timing, and was fairly clean in her moves. Some dances didn't suit her, some did – same as many other contestants. But what she bought to every dance, was tons of 'character' and 'entertainment'. This is subjective of course, but it's an important part of whether someone likes a dance or not. Some liked it, some disliked it. The majority obviously liked it.

She was also technically better than those who left before her. She left at the right time.

As I say, she was a good dancer, regardless of her size. But most people assumed because she was 'big' she would be the joke act that couldn't move. Well, she wasn't. She could move, she was clean in her moves, was extremely fit, and blew a few misconceptions. Good for her. But perhaps that's why she gets such a nasty response from some people on this board. How dare she exude such confidence. How dare she not be apologetic for her size. How dare she be brash and have a 'devil may care' attitude. How dare she realise that she can actually dance!

I disagree with most, if not all of your post, especially BIB. She was a shockingly bad dancer, tremendously irritating with her ickle girl wide eyed routine and totally overmarked week by week, expecially by Craig who had a comercial alliance with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with most, if not all of your post, especially BIB. She was a shockingly bad dancer, tremendously irritating with her ickle girl wide eyed routine and totally overmarked week by week, expecially by Craig who had a comercial alliance with her.

Craig is usually very hard to please but he scored Lisa as if she was popping out sparkling turds.

Which, funnily enough, says a lot about her dances.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you may be onto something. ;)

I don't see why we have to put up with her SCD reappearances either.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Craig is usually very hard to please but he scored Lisa as if she was popping out sparkling turds.
    Which, funnily enough, says a lot about her dances.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    cinnacinna Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    What utter rubbish, at least Lisa could dance, and put everything into it.

Well, to be honest, she had a lot to put in!
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfathomably favoured by the judges.

A stompy disaster in most dances

Irritating, "I'm doing it for the fat lasses" journey.

Worse than Widdy. There, I've said it.

You've said it but that doesn't make it right. Lisa produced a great ccc and she actually at least got in the spirit of the show which was even at her worst she tried to entertain through dancing - Widdy treated the whole latin side of the competition with contempt. I will ever forgive her for that.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfathomably favoured by the judges.

A stompy disaster in most dances

Irritating, "I'm doing it for the fat lasses" journey.

Worse than Widdy. There, I've said it.

You must have been blind when Jo Wood 'danced' then, she was like a plank of wood.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda_Dean wrote: »

I think it is more than that - she was very loud, at times incredibly over-marked (she is certainly a strong candidate for the most over-marked contestant) and her faults were glossed over too much leaving her nothing to work to improve and feeding her ego to levels that her talent couldn't cash. I'm afraid I thought the splits in one of her dances were pretty horrible and one latin was chronically out of the time for pretty well all of it and still got 8s and no mention of this fact from the judging panel. Mark this year has many of Lisa's good points - i.e fun, tries hard, proves that the overweight can dance but he doesn't appear to have Lisa's delusions about himself and he isn't being treated with kid gloves by the judges or at least not to the same extent.

I think Craig's bias towards irritated many because people rely on him being the 'harsh but fair' one.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, she wasn't the worse, Anne Widdicombe was.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    You are having a laugh, aren't you. ? Of course she wasn't the worst. She wasn't the best, but at least she put the effort in, and actually listened to her partner. Not like the dreadful Widdy, and a few others I could mention (cough - Del Lolio- cough !!)
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say worst, do you mean dancing wise, because I don't think she was (if we're talking out of al contestants in Strictly history).

She got good feedback for her personality and energy she put into dances but I still think the judegs were relatively realistic with where she was technically. They would say nice things to her comments wise, but I do remember she didn't always get marks reflecting that positive response. So she was dubbed the people's winner (or whatever the term), but I don't think they rated her that highly dance wise. They liked her performance aspect and obv her, but I never worried that the judges actually viewed her dancing as realistically promisong in th same way as they do with say Abbey or Patrick.
  • Options
    Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, many spring to mind...Quentin Wilson, Fiona Phillips, John Sargent, Widdy, Darren Gough just to name a few.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wasn't the worst but she was one of the most over marked. The judges seemed to be able to ignore completely or play down her faults/mistakes. She did 2 Strictly tours after the TV show finished. Just saying. ;)