Options

Better Call Saul - Season 1 - US Pace

Comments

• Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it. Vince Gilligan again showing his talent as a director. There doesn't have to be another Breaking Bad, we got that, but this has the Breaking Bad feel of quality nonetheless. Also I just got this...
    The skater boys talking about it being "tight" foreshadowing Tuco's appearance
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That cigarette scene was so well shot. Kim mostly in the shade while Jimmy was part way in there. You know everything looks the way it does for a reason in these shows.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henrik wrote: »
    Strange that someone would be so comfortable in claiming that a character isn't good enough for his own show and then still watch that show. Seems like a monumental waste of time.

Indeed.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On this subject I'd just point out that its remarkable to think that Breaking Bad didn't win a single Emmy for directing or cinematography during its time on the air. It'll be interesting to see if that streak can be broken with Better Call Saul or not.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    That cigarette scene was so well shot. Kim mostly in the shade while Jimmy was part way in there. You know everything looks the way it does for a reason in these shows.

Nice spot. I'd read that as she's gone to the dark side, he's not quite there yet.

Also didn't say in my post before but Bob Odenkirk really did a good job in this.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I heard of Better Call Saul it seemed such a bad idea, so I was not expecting much. But it was terrific, far better than I hoped.

I see that on Rotten Tomatoes there are 51 reviews from critics so far and they all loved it too. What a genius Vince Gilligan is. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/better-call-saul/s01/
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I likd the Cinnabon reference :p
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Oh man this is gonna be good, terrific first episode, great to see Mike again, maybe there is life after Breaking Bad after all!
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It was a good show but vastly overrated by the fanboys. As for the world record, might as well say Justin Bieber or One Direction are the best musicians ever as I'm sure you could find them in there for some ridiculous record.

World record for "MOST CRITICALLY PRAISED SERIES EVER." I capitalize to emphasize the point of what the record was -- you know -- for. If Justin Bieber held the world record for most praised singer by the world's professional music critics, it would of course be sheer idiocy to say that he is over-rated by fanboys -- or fangirls, He might be over-rated, in your mind, but the people over-rating him would be real critics, not fans of any gender. The fact that you don't seem to be able to mentally process these sorts of distinctions tells me a great deal about what sort of limitations you have, and how to treat any opinion you offer.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 2 not on Netflix yet (07.10).

Was hoping to watch before work.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good. Obviously a totally different show but it had the same look and feel of BB.

A lot of its success will depend on whether it can build a good supporting cast. Bob Odenkirk is a great actor but it is asking a lot to carry the whole thing himself.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the first person to watch episode 2?

It's struggling.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Am I the first person to watch episode 2?

It's struggling.

Have watched first half hour (on meal break) I disagree.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first episode last night and I wasn't too sure on it at first. I actually found it a bit boring. However, half way through the episode I began to love it and really enjoyed it. Lots of character development beginning to take place, which was always one of Breaking Bad's strong points too. My one major worry about this show was that Saul isn't a good enough or interesting enough character for people to care about...and I'm still not sold on this aspect yet, however it's only episode one of course. I enjoyed seeing Mike. I do worry though that if there's too many Breaking Bad references then she show will never stand on its own in any way. I did enjoy the ending with Tuco, but yet again, a Breaking Bad reference. Anyway, overall I did enjoy it and thought it was a good first episode. The cinematography, just like BB, was fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saul we know and love is comically dishonest and good with one liners.

I've seen little in the first two episodes to suggest he can drive the story. He'll always be reacting to someone else's actions.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    The Saul we know and love is comically dishonest and good with one liners.

I've seen little in the first two episodes to suggest he can drive the story. He'll always be reacting to someone else's actions.

That's because he isn't Saul Goodman just yet, they are building to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have heard about McGill's scamming before he became a lawyer. Changing his name to Saul Goodman is not the trigger to any new life. He has always been bent.

I like Saul Goodman. I think he is a fantastic comic character but the writers have yet to show how he can lead the drama. I can see where it is going, and I don't think that bodes well for the future.

I would love this show to take off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Do I have to have watched Breaking Bad to watch this?
  • Options
    dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved Breaking Bad and watched the series twice. Watched Better Call Saul last night and was left hoping it gets a lot better. Apart from the very odd few moments thought it was terrible.

Be interesting to see last night numbers compared to 1st
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked it but slightly confused by the car accident, it was all a bit to quick to see what happened. Was it a freaky co-incidence with the same type of car just happening to arrive ?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pianoforte wrote: »
    Liked it but slightly confused by the car accident, it was all a bit to quick to see what happened. Was it a freaky co-incidence with the same type of car just happening to arrive ?

I assumed that the woman driving was the target-woman's maid.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I assumed that the woman driving was the target-woman's maid.

yeah, just wondered where Betsy (i think thats her name) went.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking it too, so far. Also, I think I heard mentioned that the skateboarders got the wrong car, so it must have just been a coincidence.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    World record for "MOST CRITICALLY PRAISED SERIES EVER." I capitalize to emphasize the point of what the record was -- you know -- for. If Justin Bieber held the world record for most praised singer by the world's professional music critics, it would of course be sheer idiocy to say that he is over-rated by fanboys -- or fangirls, He might be over-rated, in your mind, but the people over-rating him would be real critics, not fans of any gender. The fact that you don't seem to be able to mentally process these sorts of distinctions tells me a great deal about what sort of limitations you have, and how to treat any opinion you offer.

The first series scored 73 so all this greatest show ever from the fanboys isn't really true if using your logic. It was only 22 ratings on metacritic as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    thought episode 1 was OK...

was really excited but, after quite an interesting opening scene, was a bit bored by the episode. towards the end though, Saul started coming into his own and we got to know his character a bit better...great ending!

looking forward to the second one.. but it better be good >:(