F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to note that I thought Martin Brundle struck exactly the right tone during the gridwalk. He knew none of the drivers would really want to speak and when they got to the front I think just letting the pictures speak for themselves showing the drivers speaking to the Bianchi family etc. - I wish more presenters/commentators would sometimes let the pictures speak for themselves. I also thought he and Croft called things very well and spotted things very quickly. They do seem to have good chemistry.
  • DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Blokee wrote: »
    Just wanted to note that I thought Martin Brundle struck exactly the right tone during the gridwalk. He knew none of the drivers would really want to speak and when they got to the front I think just letting the pictures speak for themselves showing the drivers speaking to the Bianchi family etc. - I wish more presenters/commentators would sometimes let the pictures speak for themselves. I also thought he and Croft called things very well and spotted things very quickly. They do seem to have good chemistry.

Fully agree with all of this. I couldn't believe how quickly they spotted Rosberg's puncture in particular.
  • 4chords4chords Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    My only Brundle gripe is the way that he can change his opinion at times. Take the uncapping of back markers this last race. For years he's been telling us its a stupid rule, but it was the greatest thing ever on Sunday.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he acknowledged it wasn't his usual position. His main problem, shared by many of us on here, is the time it takes - this could be fixed by getting them to pull over or drive through the pits and then drop back, rather than having to overtake and go round far enough to be out of the way of the restart.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this year they only have to go past and not catch up with the train like before, so it is a quicker restart.
    On Sunday only 7 cars took the restart with the rest dotted around the circuit.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,085
    Forum Member
    But this year they only have to go past and not catch up with the train like before, so it is a quicker restart.
    On Sunday only 7 cars took the restart with the rest dotted around the circuit.

Yeah which was a little odd, though I agree on the decision to do it how they do it now (Singapore should be far better with the new system as previously it'd take 3-4 laps for the lapped cars to catch up to the back of the pack which was a total waste of available racing laps).
  • 4chords4chords Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Must've missed that rule change. Could've sworn there races earlier this year where they still waited - Monaco perhaps?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    But surely that only delays for a few laps them getting in the way of the leaders. Surely better to have all lapped cars do a pit lane drive-through to drop them to the back of the snake? Ok, there may be a mix of cars lapped just once or more than once but that is of little consequence.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the one good thing about that race for Mercedes was it actually got them a lot of TV time.

Also, I really like the slightly lower down onboard they had on Verstappen's car, it feels a bit more visceral and involved than the normal T-bar onboard viewpoint.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    GP2 & GP3 will be racing as support categories for the WEC round at Bahrain in November.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GP2 & GP3 will be racing as support categories for the WEC round at Bahrain in November.

That's quite interesting. Obviously costs are going to be a factor but I'm a bit surprised that they aren't just tacking on to one of the F1 flyaways that they wouldn't normally do.

I wonder if they'll get the normal TV coverage on SSF1?
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,073
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    That's quite interesting. Obviously costs are going to be a factor but I'm a bit surprised that they aren't just tacking on to one of the F1 flyaways that they wouldn't normally do.

I wonder if they'll get the normal TV coverage on SSF1?

Presumably they want to go to Bahrain because they have existing data, having raced there before, and because it is cheaper than Brazil or Japan. The F1 flyaways will also presumably already have a full schedule of support races.

It also has TV coverage already, so that saves FOM money.

The disadvantage for GP3 is that it clashes with the Macau GP.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standalone events have been shown on SSF1, and have generally been on par with FOM productions.

In 2012, GP2 raced as a support package to F1 in Bahrain, then stayed an extra week to have another round. I presume FOM also stayed to cover this.

More relevant to this would probably be the standalone 2013 GP3 race at Valencia. This was again shown on SSF1. Don't know who did the TV coverage, but for obvious reasons lacked extras like onboard cameras and Will Buxton (replaced by Simon Hill). Other than that, it did use the existing graphics package, and overall looked no different to an F1 event.

EDIT: Actually produced by third-party Sobatech - http://www.sobatechgroup.com/#!GP3-Series-2013-Round-2-Valencia-Spain/c21xo/54c17bd10cf2cb6524270af4

Link to GP3 race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0W9xyjx5xE

Pre-merger of the European and Asia series, there was a standalone GP2 race at Imola in 2011 which wasn't covered by FOM. The host broadcaster hacked together a somewhat crude imitation of the graphics package.

In the case of supporting the WEC race, per the post above, I'd expect to see FOM just hand the graphics packages over to the host broadcaster and let them get on with it. Unless they are miraculously the same system, onboards will probably be a no-go. It will be interesting to compare the differences in camera coverage between the two.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blokee wrote: »

DC on the BBC also didn't speak to drivers - presume none of the broadcasters did.

We are lucky to have three great commentary teams now. Personally Allen/McNish are the best followed by Ben/DC. On a good day Crofty/Brundle are right up there but in my opinion they're the two who have a bad day at the office the most.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    Pre-merger of the European and Asia series, there was a standalone GP2 race at Imola in 2011 which wasn't covered by FOM. The host broadcaster hacked together a somewhat crude imitation of the graphics package..
    The TV coverage from that round at Imola had especially bad direction to the point where the GP2 organizers & Will Buxton apologized for it. The WEC crew tend to do a good job though.

As to OnBoards We don't usually get them for the standalone races not covered by FOM & I can't see this been any different.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    markmag wrote: »
    DC on the BBC also didn't speak to drivers - presume none of the broadcasters did.

We are lucky to have three great commentary teams now. Personally Allen/McNish are the best followed by Ben/DC. On a good day Crofty/Brundle are right up there but in my opinion they're the two who have a bad day at the office the most.
    IMO DC does tend to over-complicate things in his commentary, yet he delivers it in a less than enthusing manner, so its stops being an interesting tidbit, but a boring one. A case in point being him talking about how the rain light on the cars is activated in wet weather, at Silverstone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched IndyCar from Mid-Ohio - lovely low-down camera angles, a proper sensation of speed and elevation change.

There's absolutely no technical reason F1 couldn't look as good as this, and it absolutely should.

FOM please take note... and we'll have a few of those rotating HD roll-bar cameras as well whilst you're about it.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting news down forum: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2096226

Got to wonder about the future of Sky Sports F1 as a channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Interesting! I guess this mirrors BT having a similar channel showing a selection of their content to non-subscribers. I thought I read before that F1 being on its own channel was one of the conditions of Sky's deal with Bernie.

As I've said before though, there's no way most people who have SSF1 via the legacy HD pack will pay full-price for a sports sub for the remaining races if they're only into motorsport. I know I'd rather cancel and wait for a retention deal. Let's see...

Edit: of course, another possibility is that showing 50% of the F1 races on this channel could be related to whether the BBC continue to show the same F1 coverage they have now... remember what JP said recently...
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

I'm not sure how. The events to be shown on Select are the ones they share with the Beeb, at least if that forum's reports are correct. It's hardly a gain if you are disinterested in subscribing to Sky Sports (except maybe enabling some of the SSF1 haters to nitpick the coverage to death).

However, slightly OT, were SSF1 to close (and the coverage moved to the 'generic' channels), I'd be more concerned about the support packages than anything else. The beauty in my view of the standalone channel is that Sky can pretty much broadcast the entirety of the regular race weekend (Porsche Supercup withstanding - I've never understood why this is a separate package, nor why Sky mysteriously do have highlights rights).

I doubt GP2/3 would get the level of coverage they do on Sky - especially during the busier weekends - without the protection of the standalone channel.

That said, BT seem to manage the MotoGP package quite well last time I looked (last year admittedly).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    I doubt GP2/3 would get the level of coverage they do on Sky - especially during the busier weekends - without the protection of the standalone channel.

Very good point. And nobody except the very most committed is going to channel hop through a half-dozen sports channels to try to find GP2/3, especially if it's not guaranteed to be shown at all.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this new SkySports Select offers the same races as the BBC right ?

Jp
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »

Jp

Sounds like it, so no more F1 on Sky Sports 1, use this channel to give a taste and the hard sell to upgrade
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    Very good point. And nobody except the very most committed is going to channel hop through a half-dozen sports channels to try to find GP2/3, especially if it's not guaranteed to be shown at all.

The Saturday afternoon races would be most at risk much like they were on Eurosport.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »

Jp

If so, seems like a waste of time really (from an F1 perspective). They already broadcast some exclusive qually sessions and maybe the odd race (?) on Sky 1 or a different Sky Sports channel I believe.

An F1-Lite type subscription would make more sense if you got an extra 3-4 races live, as a halfway house to paying the full subscription for everything.
This discussion has been closed.