Options

Gunman in Plymouth attempts to rob - gets killed by members of the public

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Giovan wrote: »
    Once they took the gun from him they had no reason to think they were in danger.

The customers were completely in the wrong to let, or make, this man die just for revenge.

IF that's what happened. If they were just sitting on him until the police arrived and he died as a result, and they didn't know he was going to die, then one can't really fault them.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    It's all too easy in the comfort of our own homes to sit and dissect this incident with what we ourselves woulda, coulda, shoulda done. None of us were there though so it's pie in the sky. Amusing though, these heartfelt declarations of restrained humanity.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, to be honest they do ... Now.

Perhaps they think the threat has diminished these days.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't think any of us know what we would do in that situation

I don't think I could kill anyone who put my life in danger however threaten anyone I care about that if I have to kill you to protect them best your arse that's just what I would do
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    The law managed to convict a train guard of manslaughter through gross negligence because Georgia Varley fell under his train whilst drunk.

So whose to say that the manager of the bookies couldn't end up charged with the same?
    And from what I remember of that, the DS 'Police' were waving the banner about demanding the Guard should face prosecution.......overlooking the fact that had the girl not been blind drunk she would got home that night. That she was also under age and drinking illegally didn't appear to matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more.

But there are people in this thread celebrating his death. Completely sick, And then they call me a troll.

I wouldn't say I'm celebrating his death, but I'm struggling to have much sympathy for him. Of course I feel bad for his family to lose someone they love like this, but heck if you rob somewhere you know the risks. Its just such a waste of life. :(
  • Options
    GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think I could kill anyone who put my life in danger however threaten anyone I care about that if I have to kill you to protect them best your arse that's just what I would do

I know exactly what I would do, I would let the robber get on with his robbing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    It's all too easy in the comfort of our own homes to sit and dissect this incident with what we ourselves woulda, coulda, shoulda done. None of us were there though so it's pie in the sky. Amusing though, these heartfelt declarations of restrained humanity.

I bet if you ask the people who were involved in this the day before if they thought they were capable of doing such a thing they probably would have said hell no. No one knows what they would do in that type of situation
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still think that I would pee myself
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I think its just an accident that happened in the heat of the moment, the blood was pumping, the adrenaline flowing ect ect. Do I think it was right what they did? hell no, but I don't think they are guilty on manslaughter since imo it is a psychological response. Our minds make us do crazy things when we feel threatened. Things we wouldn't normally do.

Personally I don't know why the hell they attacked him in the first place, some people may see them as brave, I think it was an idiotic and foolhardy thing to do, it is not worth risking your life over some cash.

Do you think 'cash' would enter your head when a gun is produced in front of you? I doubt it and from my knowledge of a past colleague it was his last thought.........he just thought about himself, his family and what he could do. He had a sense of being powerless so I'd assume that if someone in this situation made a move then others may well have followed due to self preservation. As you say adrenalin kicking in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    And from what I remember of that, the DS 'Police' were waving the banner about demanding the Guard should face prosecution.......overlooking the fact that had the girl not been blind drunk she would got home that night. That she was also under age and drinking illegally didn't appear to matter.

That case really annoyed me, why are we constantly looking for someone to blame, it seems we have forgotten there is such a thing as an accident these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know exactly what I would do, I would let the robber get on with his robbing.

What about once he was took down would you help restrain him once the immediate danger was over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about once he was took down would you help restrain him once the immediate danger was over.

Nope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I'd assume that if someone in this situation made a move then others may well have followed due to self preservation. As you say adrenalin kicking in.

I agree I doubt I would have made the first move but once he was down I would have helped to keep him down
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the fact he was wearing a gas mask did not help him in any way, who knows what sort of gas container he could have been concealing on his person. Perhaps Geovan can enlighten us as he appears to know exactly what the situation was at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Do you think 'cash' would enter your head when a gun is produced in front of you? I doubt it and from my knowledge of a past colleague it was his last thought.........he just thought about himself, his family and what he could do. He had a sense of being powerless so I'd assume that if someone in this situation made a move then others may well have followed due to self preservation. As you say adrenalin kicking in and self preservation.

Of course you are right, that is just my thoughts as someone who is currently lounging in bed and drinking tea and whose only threat is the grumpy cat on my lap. As I said before people do extreme things when they feel their lives are threatened
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

I would love to say I wouldn't do it either, but I have never been threatened by a gun so who knows.........
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree I doubt I would have made the first move but once he was down I would have helped to keep him down

I would like to think that I would let him get on with robbing too. But if a whole group of people were restraining him, I don't think that I would say ''everyone! stop! get off him!''

Because then you would be scared of the robber and scared of the group who are restraining him.

They would all attack you wouldn't they?

I think I'm in the wrong job. I appear to be more scared than anyone else on this thread :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to think that I would let him get on with robbing too. But if a whole group of people were restraining him, I don't think that I would say ''everyone! stop! get off him!''

Because then you would be scared of the robber and scared of the group who are restraining him.

They would all attack you wouldn't they?

To be honest, I would probably glance up from my betting slip and think "oh, a robbery" and then go back to filling it in.:D
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "he was a generous guy who would give you his last 50p"... And I'm sure he also helps little old ladies across the road... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think I'm in the wrong job. I appear to be more scared than anyone else on this thread :D

I would be scared I'm a natural coward my motto is "He who screams and runs away lives to run another day" but I would help the others once I felt my life was no longer in immediate danger.

But as I said if anyone I care about was threatened then that would take over even if it meant dying in the process
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It would figure James and not sure if I'd make the first move but I am a bit nutty :o

I'm going to make a pathetic comment but one that I have held all day and that is that I believe there is some kind of romanticist thing about robbers, I thought of Dick Turpin and things like the Great Train Robbery.........both turned into books and films, it's like there is some kind of acceptance that people rob and threaten with guns and such. The Kray twins too. I know I warble but I know what I mean ;)
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey. Is this fuss about nothing still going on?

It was a good example of the local community helping each other.

Doesn't look like anyone inside the shop has put anything on You Tube. :( I would have been filming everything if I was there. :)
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The bloke behind the counter told me they weren't taking any bets"

I thought Ladbrokes offered a bet on anything... :D
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did right thing. I do not think they intended to kill the guy! All they had to do was get his gun off him and try and physically restrain the guy. But looking at everything, having a lung condition, being an ex-heroine addict, wearing a gas mask. It was probably these factors more than how the guys dealt with him.