Sociologist says celebrating singledom is "wrong"

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This comes about as a survey from the Office of National Statistics suggest that 1 in 10 people aged between 25-44 is now living alone compared to 1 in 50 in 1973.

Professor Frank Furedi stated in the Telegraph that “...what’s wrong is the celebration of the singleton culture, effectively loneliness,” He criticises those whom have been hurt previously in a relationship, indeed, the type whom state that they would rather be single than in the wrong relationship. The sociologist also states that these people do want a "close relationship".

The same article also has a potentially contentious quote from think tank Civitas. David Green states that young people are "...living alone by choice. Loneliness isn’t being forced upon them..." and that being single is a lifestyle choice.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9916134/Britain-becoming-lonelier-place-to-live.html

The arguments above ignore the fact that there will always be a small number of individuals for whom the concept of a "soul mate" - a fallacious, unrealistic and absurd concept - will never be fulfilled because life ain't perfect for whatever reason. Also ignores the concept of asexuality/aromantic and involuntarily celibacy.

It also niggles at those whom see the family unit as the foundation of a stable society, singledom growing in popularity and numbers seen as a threat to that ideal. Although to be fair, the recently published Daily Mail article on this issue was actually pretty neutral.

Do you agree with both - being single a lifestyle choice that should not be celebrated? Personally I think being single should be recognised as a default choice (ie we are born alone and die alone) and no-one should be made ashamed or guilty of being single, nor should be pressured whether by financial or peer pressure to change their marital status.

We should also take note in future that with more potential austerity forthcoming, that single people may well be a desirable target for cuts, considering the Government's respect for "hard working families".

Comments

• KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I think singledom is inadvisable in the long term ... in general ... but why is 2.4 kids in straight relationships right?

A hundred years from now, with 10 billion of us, it will make sense to bring up kids communally, in extended families.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any lifestyle choice should be 'celebrated', as such. Society changes, and the expectation of marriage isn't as strong as it once was, at least not amongst the majority. Being single is more socially acceptable than before. It's neither right nor wrong, just one type of lifestyle. Some people seem unable to believe that some are actually single by choice - there's always the sly insinuation that they're only single due to some personal inadequacy.
    Forum Member
    Casual wrote: »
    Being single is more socially acceptable than before.

Excuse my selective quoting, but I would point out the irony.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singledom certainly does not mean loneliness!

I enjoyed my single years and was never yearning for a soul mate. I got lucky though and he just landed in my life :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the irony?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Society changes

Agreed.

And if anyone should understand that better than most, it'd be a sociologist, you'd have thought...
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #ForeverAlone and celebrating.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,925
    Forum Member
    The world changes and people react to it. We've had 40 years of 'progression' and the net result is more people would simply prefer to live by themselves.

With far greater opportunities to function in society alone, you will therefore have a higher number of the populous functioning in society alone.

Whether it's celebrated too much I don't know. People who love living alone will obviously say it's great. Just like those who love being married/etc will say that's great.
    Forum Member
    Where's the irony?

Ask someone :)
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    populous

I'd rather the populace were less populous. Seriously.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,925
    Forum Member
    Dang, I always get those spellings mixed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    The world changes and people react to it. We've had 40 years of 'progression' and the net result is more people would simply prefer to live by themselves.

With far greater opportunities to function in society alone, you will therefore have a higher number of the populous functioning in society alone.

Whether it's celebrated too much I don't know. People who love living alone will obviously say it's great. Just like those who love being married/etc will say that's great.

I don't think it's necessarily true more people would prefer to live by themselves.

People just end up living by themselves for many reasons - some for the extra benefits doled out by government, some because they're bored of the regular shite that they seem to get day in day out (the upsurge of massive, industrial scale chavvery in the UK), along with a few people that feel more comfortable alone.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sad that the 'family' and the 'extended family' are less important and perhaps now seen as not the 'right' thing.

I really think community and connections are important.

But that can be done by singletons although it can be harder.

But the discontented singleton forced into a subservient or 'lesser' role and status isn't a good thing. And is still a very real thing.

It's not a question of 'celebrating' singledom, really, but of acceptance that this happens, and that these people (including me) are valuable in our own right, and as part of community and society.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Excuse my selective quoting, but I would point out the irony.

I'm not seeing the irony either - being single doesn't mean you live outside society, or don't care what society thinks. You still have friendships, colleagues, family etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Ask someone :)

Perhaps I'm having a bit of a slow moment, but I don't see what your point is. Do you see a single person as being separate from society in some way?
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I can't see a valid reason to think one state was superior to another - individuals should live their lives in the way that fulfills them, and if that is being single then their choice should be respected.

I chose to stay out of relationships for three years after a bad break-up - I hadn't been single and living alone before... and it did me the world of good, because I learned about myself as an individual, not all the reflections cast by my relationships.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friends are my family. Without the bullshit.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I'm having a bit of a slow moment, but I don't see what your point is. Do you see a single person as being separate from society in some way?

Sorry, I was being sarky-but-nice: "society" is "other people", hence my cr@p joke :o

I'm quite a solitary person, so I don't condemn similar people; I do challenge that the alternative to "the family" is being alone.

:)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    My friends are my family. Without the bullshit.

When my ex husband refused a second child, and then left me anyway, my mother gave me some stupid fridge magnet which said:

'Friends are the family you choose for yourself'.

Meant a lot to me.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's a right or wrong. Just do what works for you.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you agree with both - being single a lifestyle choice that should not be celebrated?

I think being single or attached should just be as it is - neither should really be "celebrated". But then I'm not so sure I see either "condition" celebrated really. I'm sure you do get some couples who do get overly loved up and can't help but to let everyone know how much they're loved up, but I don't know, I don't necessarily see that as a 'celebration' I suppose.

Likewise, I certainly don't see someone saying they're happy to be single as 'celebrating'. I certainly have no plans to throw an "enforced celibate and proud of it" party personally :)

At the end of the day, as Argh! has said, do what works for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Being single is definitely inferior to being attached where children are involved - many people suspect this has given rise to the industrialization of the chav, partly.

I suppose where children are not involved neither is superior or inferior, but could be superior in a positive relationship, or inferior in a poor one.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being single is definitely inferior to being attached where children are involved - many people suspect this has given rise to the industrialization of the chav.

I suppose where children are not involved neither is superior or inferior, but could be superior in a positive relationship, or inferior in a poor one.
    You only have to look at the headlines of some of the right wing newspapers, whom focused the ONS findings released on single parents and how it is at the cost of traditional family (married) values. And the general consensus of the right wingers is normally a negative one for single parents. The Express as one example:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/382706/Rise-of-the-single-parent-family
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think being single or attached should just be as it is - neither should really be "celebrated". But then I'm not so sure I see either "condition" celebrated really. I'm sure you do get some couples who do get overly loved up and can't help but to let everyone know how much they're loved up, but I don't know, I don't necessarily see that as a 'celebration' I suppose.
    But we do have a day where they do exactly that. Facebook on Valentine's Day. :D
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dang, I always get those spellings mixed up.

Gary Larson word.