2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all :)
  • HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    630 starts for me and get same pangs too, what i do have a round of toast before i start , and then one of those quaker oats so simple bags around 0845 see me through to lunch , maybe chuck in few sultanas to bulk it up a bit , i'll be honest , theyre not great with skimmed milk though , but that might just be me though

used to be a bacon butty until Doctors told me my BP was high lol

hope this helps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howjo wrote: »
    630 starts for me and get same pangs too, what i do have a round of toast before i start , and then one of those quaker oats so simple bags around 0845 see me through to lunch , maybe chuck in few sultanas to bulk it up a bit , i'll be honest , theyre not great with skimmed milk though , but that might just be me though

used to be a bacon butty until Doctors told me my BP was high lol

hope this helps

Ta, I think I need to find a gluten-free equivalent to porridge as my breakfast appears to be as filling as Rice Krispies :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you are eating is fuelling the hunger because the majority of your intake is sugar. Be it from starch, straight sugar or fruit it is all the same in the end. Sugar will impact heavily on your blood sugar, causing a sharp rise and then a noticeable fall as insulin kicks in to hurriedly lower the blood sugar back to safe levels. That's why you get hungry. Your appetite is never satisfied because your system isn't receiving the nutrients it needs. There is a lack of protein and a lack of fat - only the temporary fix of sugar and starch. So until you give ur body what it really needs you will always be starving.

Eat unlimited protein and cut your carbs to below 150g per day. Don't drink your calories. Fruit juice is just sugar water. Eat a fruit if you must. Above all maximise your intake of natural fats. Butter, cheese, coconut oil, animal fats, nuts, full fat dairy. Avoid "low fat" food, vegetable oils, fake foods..
    A good brekkie would be eggs and mushrooms fried in coconut oil with bacon. That keeps my blood sugar steady for at least six hours.
    I write from experience-I used to have terrible cravings and blood sugar lows. I rarely have any cravings now and can go ages without eating. I severely restrict sugar and grains that's why.
    Also I don't think ryvita is gluten free.
  • CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I need a snack to keep me going till lunch ( and stop me reaching for the chocolate), I have some peanut butter with crackers or on a banana. You don't need much and it feels filling in a way fruit or veg sometimes don't.
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    More fat! You are eating tons of sugars and starches which are going to make you hungry quickly. Eat a breakfast high in fat... eggs/full fat dairy/meats/nuts etc.

If you're trying to lose weight, it will be easier if you cut your sugars and increase your fats. Also drink more water (not fruit juice or fizzy drinks!).

I sympathise with your dietary issues as I have gluten intolerance, PCOS and wonky blood sugar. However, by adjusting my diet to get rid of sugar and starches, I don't even have to eat breakfast anymore. I eat lunch at 1pm and dinner at 7pm and then nothing till the next day's lunch. I am NEVER hungry and this is coming from someone who used to have to eat every 3 hours or would go into full on 'hunger rage'. :o

It takes a bit of getting used to as the first few weeks of eating no sugar makes you feel tired and cranky while your body adjusts. In the long run, you'll probably have loads more energy and fewer hunger pangs, though.

Anyway, just a suggestion as I know some people find a high fat, low sugar diet difficult to understand and prefer the standard low fat calorie-counting way of weight loss. Whatever works best for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you are eating is fuelling the hunger because the majority of your intake is sugar. Be it from starch, straight sugar or fruit it is all the same in the end. Sugar will impact heavily on your blood sugar, causing a sharp rise and then a noticeable fall as insulin kicks in to hurriedly lower the blood sugar back to safe levels. That's why you get hungry. Your appetite is never satisfied because your system isn't receiving the nutrients it needs. There is a lack of protein and a lack of fat - only the temporary fix of sugar and starch. So until you give ur body what it really needs you will always be starving.

Eat unlimited protein and cut your carbs to below 150g per day. Don't drink your calories. Fruit juice is just sugar water. Eat a fruit if you must. Above all maximise your intake of natural fats. Butter, cheese, coconut oil, animal fats, nuts, full fat dairy. Avoid "low fat" food, vegetable oils, fake foods..
    A good brekkie would be eggs and mushrooms fried in coconut oil with bacon. That keeps my blood sugar steady for at least six hours.
    I write from experience-I used to have terrible cravings and blood sugar lows. I rarely have any cravings now and can go ages without eating. I severely restrict sugar and grains that's why.

I think you're bang on the money - more protein and less carbs are defo what I need. Thank you - just struggled before as I don't find meat very good quality in the UK and I love cheese, but it puts the weight on me like *that*. But eggs and salmon etc. are a good start so I'll give that a go. The Ryvita I get is g/f :)
    Quickfade wrote: »
    More fat! You are eating tons of sugars and starches which are going to make you hungry quickly. Eat a breakfast high in fat... eggs/full fat dairy/meats/nuts etc.

If you're trying to lose weight, it will be easier if you cut your sugars and increase your fats. Also drink more water (not fruit juice or fizzy drinks!).

I sympathise with your dietary issues as I have gluten intolerance, PCOS and wonky blood sugar. However, by adjusting my diet to get rid of sugar and starches, I don't even have to eat breakfast anymore. I eat lunch at 1pm and dinner at 7pm and then nothing till the next day's lunch. I am NEVER hungry and this is coming from someone who used to have to eat every 3 hours or would go into full on 'hunger rage'. :o

It takes a bit of getting used to as the first few weeks of eating no sugar makes you feel tired and cranky while your body adjusts. In the long run, you'll probably have loads more energy and fewer hunger pangs, though.

Anyway, just a suggestion as I know some people find a high fat, low sugar diet difficult to understand and prefer the standard low fat calorie-counting way of weight loss. Whatever works best for you.

Cheers - will be a tad hard over the coming weeks but even if I try the no sugar in January then that might be a good thing :)

Thanks all - some bloody good advice. Need to do a major revision of what I eat so that will take some time. Appreciate the help lots though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to share my experience-there are lots of Primal/Paleo eating forums where u can get food ideas. I use Marks Daily Apple. This way of eating works for some people. I've been following it since 2009 and it's really helped. I used to be a carb monster. Seriously, i could demolish a whole loaf of bread or a massive pile of rice and be ravenous one hour later. Those days are gone now. I've got my genuine appetite back-I crave things like eggs, dark chocolate, cream cheese, pork crackling and junk food tastes crap now.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowcarb is the way for you. Go to a nice butcher not a supermarket and the meat is lovely.
    I eat sugar and grain free its wonderful and best of all I feel brilliant and full of energy and never hungry. :)
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was just going to say this, the maximum of the intake of that breakfast is carbs, no matter what source, they are all carbs and personally that makes me starving by mid morning, although other people swear by things like porridge it makes me very hungry.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brush your teeth when you feel hungry in between.
    How does that work? :confused: