Do you believe in God?

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    That doesn't show that the earth is not a living organism.
    The Earth is not a living organism by any definition of the word "life". There are many such definitions, but Earth is not a living organism under any of them.
    Like you I see consciousness as not existing without a brain. Our brains produce electricity , once it stops doing that, there is no consciousness evident. So is consciousness electricity ?
    Electricity is made up of photons and if photons are without mass , isn't it a good notion that photons are ideas ?

Anyway that's my attempt at trying to elaborate from a unscientific persons massless mind.

It's not really the electricity which is thought to produce thoughts, it's the connections between brain cells and the ways in which the brain cells "fire" electrical impulses which are. In the same way, computers require electricity to work, but it isn't the electricity on its own which makes them work- it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.

Electricity is not made from photons. Electricity is the flow of charge. In electrical circuits, the charge carriers are electrons whilst in the nerve and brain cells in the body, the electrical impulses are created by waves of sodium and potassium ions moving across the cell membrane.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what animals would think of a God.

But I do know what all the extinct (and totally magnificent) Megafauna species wiped out since the rise of Man the Hunter would think. :cry:

They would believe us to be the Devil.

Life has not been this very small on land for millions and millions of years.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    How gracious of you all. ^_^
    That's quite alright, but I'm glad you understand and appreciate our graciousness. After all; we could blame you for everything bad that happens. Must be because you aren't praying properly or often enough...
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what animals would think of a God.

But I do know what all the extinct (and totally magnificent) Megafauna species wiped out since the rise of Man the Hunter would think. :cry:

They would believe us to be the Devil.

Life has not been this very small on land for millions and millions of years.

Human life expands and their need and greed dominates. Viruses and anti-biotic resistance may reduce our numbers? The human race stinks?;-)
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not really the electricity which is thought to produce thoughts, it's the connections between brain cells and the ways in which the brain cells "fire" electrical impulses which are. In the same way, computers require electricity to work, but it isn't the electricity on its own which makes them work- it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.

Electricity is not made from photons. Electricity is the flow of charge. In electrical circuits, the charge carriers are electrons whilst in the nerve and brain cells in the body, the electrical impulses are created by waves of sodium and potassium ions moving across the cell membrane.

Thanks for that.
    I suppose I was thinking of the brain producing an electro magnetic field and then the links that has to photons , i.e.. photons being produced when the electromagnetic field is excited.
    That's enough from me on that subject I think as I'm getting lost down a rabbit hole and my photons just exploded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Human life expands and their need and greed dominates. Viruses and anti-biotic resistance may reduce our numbers? The human race stinks?;-)

If anything brings the downfall of Mankind it will be if some religious fanatic ever gets his hands on some nukes or the red button. :o

The Dead Zone was bloody good film and Martin Sheen was totally plausible as a delusional psychopath being able to get enough votes to enter The White House. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything brings the downfall of Mankind it will be if some religious fanatic ever gets his hands on some nukes or the red button. :o

The Dead Zone was bloody good film and Martin Sheen was totally plausible as a delusional psychopath being able to get enough votes to enter The White House. :D

Yes I agree but my point is valid too.:p ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.
    I suppose I was thinking of the brain producing an electro magnetic field and then the links that has to photons , i.e.. photons being produced when the electromagnetic field is excited.
    That's enough from me on that subject I think as I'm getting lost down a rabbit hole and my photons just exploded.

My brain gave up pages ago! :o
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    That's quite alright, but I'm glad you understand and appreciate our graciousness. After all; we could blame you for everything bad that happens. Must be because you aren't praying properly or often enough...

You're all heart, archiver. :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brain gave up pages ago! :o

Mine might be exploding, but it still thinks there aren't any gods :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine might be exploding, but it still thinks there aren't any gods :D

Neither do I but not in the same sense as you.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.
    Bib: I can't think of any way to produce photons that way. There may well be a way, so if you could just give a hint on the method of excitement, or the name of the phenomena - I'd appreciate it. (No worries if you've totally had enough on it though)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree but my point is valid too.:p ;-)

Yes of course it is. :)

I was just in a huge rush to get my tea heated up and eaten! ^_^
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which of those premises do you believe?

you know full well that i dont believe in the christian version of god, and the natural disaster/ terminal illness in kids is pretty compelling evidence to me that theres no loving father god taking care of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes of course it is. :)

I was just in a huge rush to get my tea heated up and eaten! ^_^

OK.............hastily removing my, only one allowed on a Sunday's, wicked spell. Need another victim now! >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you know full well that i dont believe in the christian version of god, and the natural disaster/ terminal illness in kids is pretty compelling evidence to me that theres no loving father god taking care of us.

That's a sad fact of being alive, in my world :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know. You have made that clear in these discussions.

So, you can't blame God. So why is there suffering, from your point of view, is what I'm asking you?

Which goes back to your post on the previous page:
    ...and whos to blame for things beyond our control such as devistating natural disasters or childhood illnesses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a sad fact of being alive, in my world :(

Indeed it is. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    Bib: I can't think of any way to produce photons that way. There may well be a way, so if you could just give a hint on the method of excitement, or the name of the phenomena - I'd appreciate it. (No worries if you've totally had enough on it though)

This might explain the gobbledegook I'm trying to get at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed it is. :(

Have you read to the end of The Divine Comedy or are you stuck in your current location? :p;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might explain the gobbledegook I'm trying to get at.
    Lasers of course. Couldn't think of it. Would (obv) have got it from stimulated instead of excited ;-)

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you read to the end of The Divine Comedy or are you stuck in your current location? :p;)

I have and it once again demonstrates the many wonderful human translations of spiritual enlightenment and growth. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have and it once again demonstrates the many wonderful human translations of spiritual enlightenment and growth. :)

I agree, anne, and it is indeed a marvellous piece of work. :)

The copy I have of The Divine Comedy includes the wonderful illustrations by Gustave Doré which are absolutely stunning.

I love the Arts. :cool:
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Earth is not a living organism by any definition of the word "life". There are many such definitions, but Earth is not a living organism under any of them.

Certainly it is. If the earth is infused with energy and spirit, even forms of intelligence, it is living.

If the earth is not separate, but part of a whole consciousness, as Bohm theorized, then everything by definition is conscious.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Certainly it is. If the earth is infused with energy and spirit, even forms of intelligence, it is living.

I was going to explain how wrong that sentence was, but then I realised that it doesn't actually make any sense so I'll not bother.
This discussion has been closed.