Recipes for tinned crab

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am trying to be more adventurous with my cooking. I like crab pate and would like to make some nice meals with tinned crab meat, I was thinking along the lines of pasta and crab cake type meals but would welcome any other suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the same as using fresh crab, but try knocking up a quick devilled crab and serving it on toasted rustic bread. Or, you could , make devilled eggs with crab which is basically the same but with hard-boiled yolks mixed into the devilled crab mixture and then served in the egg-whites.
  • Eleanor_RigbyEleanor_Rigby Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it's not the same as fresh crab meat but I have substituted with tinned to make a simple crab linguine.

While you cook the linguine, fry garlic and chilli in olive oil, being careful not to burn the garlic then stir in the crab meat.
    Drain pasta and reserve a little water, toss into the crab and chilli sauce. squeeze in some lemon juice, add a little of the pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed.
    Season and chuck over some chopped parsley to finish.

I love this although i must stress it is a million times nicer with fresh crab meat.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go to the website of the tinned crab maker -such as Princes - you will find recipes geared up to that product.

Here you go - I've done it for you.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crab risotto always good. Stir the tinned meat through the cooked rice a couple of minutes before serving. Lemon juice & fresh dill would be good additions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    If you go to the website of the tinned crab maker -such as Princes - you will find recipes geared up to that product.

Here you go - I've done it for you.

Many thanks for that, I had tried 2 other producers but had forgotten about princes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks I will try those recipes.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Crab cakes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Crab cakes

I was thinking of crab cakes. Do you have any tried and tested recipes? I have seen some with rice, some with mash. I was thinking of adding lime, spring onions and chilli powder, do you think that would be ok?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    I was thinking of crab cakes. Do you have any tried and tested recipes? I have seen some with rice, some with mash. I was thinking of adding lime, spring onions and chilli powder, do you think that would be ok?
    I don't. Last time I made them it was Thai style using mash but i've watched alot of US shows where they don't use mash and use mayo and breadcrumbs or crackermeal.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    white crab meat is really good in prawn cocktail
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    white crab meat is really good in prawn cocktail

Thank you for that, I hadn't thought of salad type meals. :)
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of American crab cakes and my go to recipe has never let me down. You do have to be very careful when turning them though as they are quite fragile. Although I have prepared my own fresh crab it is a faff and I find tinned more than acceptable.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-crab-cakes-recipe.html
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was ever unfortunate enough to have a tin of crab the only thing I would do with it is give it away. It is absolutely tasteless,
    When she was alive my Mum used to buy it for Dad and me as we liked fresh cockles, mussels, prawns etc and thought she was giving us a treat but we would groan when she suggested it for tea.
    Nothing beats a fresh crab - a few condiments on the side with some brown bread bread and butter.
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get some excellent crabmeat in a plastic airtight tub with a good shelflife from Costco.It is called 'chicken of the sea' and is premium claw meat.I bought some the other week and expiry date is Feb 2015.Keep in fridge. It is about £6.50 .
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    If I was ever unfortunate enough to have a tin of crab the only thing I would do with it is give it away. It is absolutely tasteless,
    When she was alive my Mum used to buy it for Dad and me as we liked fresh cockles, mussels, prawns etc and thought she was giving us a treat but we would groan when she suggested it for tea.
    Nothing beats a fresh crab - a few condiments on the side with some brown bread bread and butter.

I tend to agree if the crab is the main focus of the dish then nothing comes close to fresh, but when combined with lots of other ingredients like crab cakes or a pasta dish quality tinned crab is absolutely fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of American crab cakes and my go to recipe has never let me down. You do have to be very careful when turning them though as they are quite fragile. Although I have prepared my own fresh crab it is a faff and I find tinned more than acceptable.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-crab-cakes-recipe.html

Many thanks for that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »

Thank you for your reply, however I do not have the funds to buy fresh crab and prefer to try recipes using cheaper ingredients, as I am not a good cook and often mess then up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get some excellent crabmeat in a plastic airtight tub with a good shelflife from Costco.It is called 'chicken of the sea' and is premium claw meat.I bought some the other week and expiry date is Feb 2015.Keep in fridge. It is about £6.50 .

Thank you for your recommendation, I will keep that in mind once I have a good receipe that I am good at and really like.