Sky Sports Cricket Coverage 2014

Comments

• jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the County Cricket, im guessing the likes of Ian Ward, Bumble, and Nasser, must be on the highest wages, as they cover a lot of it, and must have to paid petrol money, as every season up to know, they must have spent every other day during the summer, travelling along the motorways.

Guessing the likes of Botham and Gower, are on less wages, or maybe they get paid the same for what they do, and they don't do vther work, as Sky cant afford

Does Ian Botham really want to be at any of matches he covers, by the 4th day of a Test Match, he is normally on about ooh hope we don't go to a 5th day I can play golf. I have been one of his Knockers on here.

Is it because the likes of Bumble, Nasser, Michael Atherton actually enjoy there job, whle Sir Ian doesent
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Guessing the likes of Botham and Gower, are on less wages, or maybe they get paid the same for what they do, and they don't do vther work, as Sky cant afford

It's not a question of can't afford. Its a question of if it's viable. If Botham was to say, I'll happily do County Games for 10k an appearance is that viable? (That number was plucked out of the air.) It more likely that someone like Butcher is happy to do x amount of dates for a reasonable price and it's more justifiable.

Does Hampshire v Durham on a random tuesday night really need Sir Ian Botham?

I think the point about Sir Ian not liking his job is silly, it's quite clearly his "gimmick" - for want of a better word - to be too cool for school. In the same way Lord Gower is portrayed as super posh, Bumble as a nut job, Benny as a geek etc etc etc

Edit - Hussain as tight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    It's not a question of can't afford. Its a question of if it's viable. If Botham was to say, I'll happily do County Games for 10k an appearance is that viable? (That number was plucked out of the air.) It more likely that someone like Butcher is happy to do x amount of dates for a reasonable price and it's more justifiable.

Does Hampshire v Durham on a random tuesday night really need Sir Ian Botham?

I think the point about Sir Ian not liking his job is silly, it's quite clearly his "gimmick" - for want of a better word - to be too cool for school. In the same way Lord Gower is portrayed as super posh, Bumble as a nut job, Benny as a geek etc etc etc

I agree with what u say. Plus if the likes of Ian Botham and David Gower were always commentating, it would mean the likes of Butcher, Cork, Key and Trescothick, wouldn't get a look in
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gower hardly does T20 either yet he was at the T20 games in the west indies as a fan!
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Bumble had a falling out with the host broadcaster during the last tournament when they "banned" him from saying a few of his catchphrases like "WALLOPPPPPPP".

It wasn't anything major though as Bumble still worked the Champions Trophy for Star last year
    Sky have no say in the commentators selected by Star TV, who are the rights holders. In any case, all Sky commentators are freelancers, not staff.

On the contrary, there will be some discussion between the two. If you look at it Star only tend to use either their regulars or commentators from channels that hold the ICC rights in their country such as Sky or Supersport
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »

On the contrary, there will be some discussion between the two. If you look at it Star only tend to use either their regulars or commentators from channels that hold the ICC rights in their country such as Sky or Supersport

Yes Bumble once said on Twitter that he was asked to do the IPL one year and Sky refused to release him. (And that the money weren't all that!)
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    in his twitter page, bumble said he decided to stay in london.
    David 'Bumble' Lloyd ‏@BumbleCricket Mar 21
    @1amRD: @BumbleCricket you are not in BD why??” In studio at Sky..Been to the 'Desh 4 times
    Hide conversation
    David 'Bumble' Lloyd ‏@BumbleCricket Mar 21
    @AdhilMothie Wasn't keen to go .. In Sky studio
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he got quite ill on the 2010 tour if I remember rightly? Maybe thats why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, bumble did indeed fall ill while being in India, but I cannot remember what
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,721
    Forum Member
    Michael Vaughan will be commentating on the T20 Blast for Sky this Summer according to Charlie Sale in the Mail this morning.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    Michael Vaughan will be commentating on the T20 Blast for Sky this Summer according to Charlie Sale in the Mail this morning.

Interesting. I wonder where this leaves him re. BBC/Channel 5 work for next summer. I'm guessing he'll continue with both of those gigs for the international matches.

This does have precedent, as Sky booked him as an 'ex-pro' (rather than one of the front-line commentators/pundits) for some matches of the 2011 World Cup before he flew out to India to do radio and TV punditry for the BBC.

He seems loathe to join Sky full-time, though, so perhaps all parties are happy with the current arrangement - i.e. Sky get to use Vaughan when they can and he continues with his BBC work.

I wonder, though, whether Sky would like to make him one of their permanent 'faces'. It would be a sad day for the BBC if he did go. I rather get the impression, however, that Vaughan likes his 'floating' brief, working for the BBC and Channel 5 during the summer, alongside other TV commitments overseas when time allows. He seems to be doing coverage of the World T20 with OSN (in Dubai) at the moment, alongside Adam Gilchrist and Jim Rosenthal amongst others.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I wonder where this leaves him re. BBC/Channel 5 work for next summer. I'm guessing he'll continue with both of those gigs for the international matches.

This does have precedent, as Sky booked him as an 'ex-pro' (rather than one of the front-line commentators/pundits) for some matches of the 2011 World Cup before he flew out to India to do radio and TV punditry for the BBC.

He seems loathe to join Sky full-time, though, so perhaps all parties are happy with the current arrangement - i.e. Sky get to use Vaughan when they can and he continues with his BBC work.

I wonder, though, whether Sky would like to make him one of their permanent 'faces'. It would be a sad day for the BBC if he did go. I rather get the impression, however, that Vaughan likes his 'floating' brief, working for the BBC and Channel 5 during the summer, alongside other TV commitments overseas when time allows. He seems to be doing coverage of the World T20 with OSN (in Dubai) at the moment, alongside Adam Gilchrist and Jim Rosenthal amongst others.

There's your answer. Vaughan has gone on record saying he turned down Sky because he would be commentating on cricket and cricket only, whereas whilst at the BBC, he's covered the US Masters golf (the less said about his well-documented faux-pas the better), plus he's done general sports documentaries for both BBC TV and Radio.

Also, who are OSN? Can't say I've heard of them before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's your answer. Vaughan has gone on record saying he turned down Sky because he would be commentating on cricket and cricket only, whereas whilst at the BBC, he's covered the US Masters golf (the less said about his well-documented faux-pas the better), plus he's done general sports documentaries for both BBC TV and Radio.

OSN are a pan-Middle East broadcaster and provider, almost a Middle East equivalent of Sky. Their sports channels tend to show a lot of non-football sports, such as golf, rugby union, rugby league, ice hockey etc. They also have a dedicated cricket channel and currently have the ICC rights in the Middle East.

They don't tend to get much of a mention over here as BeIn have all the major football rights
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Vaughan also commentated for Channel 9 in the summer. If you're in such high demand why tie yourself down to one broadcaster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumble replied to a couple of tweets of mine this morning;

David 'Bumble' Lloyd @BumbleCricket
    @njhcricket: @BumbleCricket How many championship games are @SkyCricket doing this year?” 3 I think

David 'Bumble' Lloyd @BumbleCricket
    @SL110587 @chappy_tony @njhcricket @SkyCricket First CC game is Durham v Yorks 4-7 may . Bring a jumper! And a flask #bovril
  • SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Just to confirm with you guys.

I can see bit of clouding on my TV screen when watching T20 in HD and picture some time is very bad in quality. but can't see any clouding when watching football or even today's F1 in HD. Any of you guys finding T20 HD coverage not upto the mark or its just my tv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had no trouble myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broadcasters appear to be obsessed with showing female fans in between every ball of every over of every game...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    The broadcasters appear to be obsessed with showing female fans in between every ball of every over of every game...

No different to any other then. If I had one wish, it would be to ban pointing cameras at the screaming, gurning imbeciles in the stands.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No different to any other then. If I had one wish, it would be to ban pointing cameras at the screaming, gurning imbeciles in the stands.

Those "imbeciles" with respect are bottoms on seats which in some world cup 20/20 games seem thin on the ground.

Thank goodness some fans still want to attend live cricket matches they really must be "imbeciles" EH.

Better off empty grounds with people watching live on sky.;-)
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell you who winds me up in the commentary team is Allan Wilkins, he just talks far too much. I am reading a book about commentary greats at the moment, Richie Benaud is naturally featured. His great stance was "if the viewers can see what is happening don't tell them what is happening too." Wilkins could learn from that

Another thing, does anybody else think Brian Murgatroyd sounds a lot like Charles Colville ?
  • scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Another thing, does anybody else think Brian Murgatroyd sounds a lot like Charles Colville ?

Yes - can't say I'd noticed before but I did think so today, particularly when he gets excited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Atherton said the other day, we are at Durham v Yorkshire, We he must be him, Guessing the commentary will be something like. Charles Colville, Bumble, Atherton, Bob Willis.

I say Bob as he always tends to do some commentary before the Test Matches, kick in and he is used for the Verdict,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Those "imbeciles" with respect are bottoms on seats which in some world cup 20/20 games seem thin on the ground.

Thank goodness some fans still want to attend live cricket matches they really must be "imbeciles" EH.

Better off empty grounds with people watching live on sky.;-)

If they're not imbeciles, then they do damn good impressions of being so. Most of them also are given free tickets to boost crowd numbers. Very few actually pay for their tickets. In this particular tournament, locals have been given shirts etc. and encouraged to 'support' other teams when the games do not involve Bangladesh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you who winds me up in the commentary team is Allan Wilkins, he just talks far too much. I am reading a book about commentary greats at the moment, Richie Benaud is naturally featured. His great stance was "if the viewers can see what is happening don't tell them what is happening too." Wilkins could learn from that

scragend wrote: »
    Yes - can't say I'd noticed before but I did think so today, particularly when he gets excited.

I know what you mean about Colville and Murgatroyd, must have come from the time they spent working with each other in the early days of Sky Sports