Options

Marketing Inserts in mags

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just almost filled my paper recyling box up with the inserts from my Sunday papers mags

We have cotton traders, the book club, next, argos sky etc etc. all of which I have just binned without actually reading them.

Now usually I try and chuck any inserts away before I buy the mags but they had shrinkwrapped the bleddy things

Has anyone on here bought anything, joined anything or have had their lives changed by reading these things.

Or like me do you just chuck them

Comments

• Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing I do when I buy a magazine is hold it above the bin and give it a shake!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I usually have a very quick read of them or flick through them and then they go in the bin.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just spread the magazine out in the shop and let the crap fall to the floor there. Useless waste of good trees. Who actually reads them?
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you the worst ones, the scratch card ones - oooh, I wonder if I'll win....

Yes, yes I have won! What a surprise, now then what do I do......

Hmmm, I see, just ring this premium rate number to see what I have won. I hope it's the £50,000 cash and not the pen.

Oh. It's the pen.

:(
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shake them out into the bin as well.

The Sunday supplements mostly exist to generate advertising revenue. Take a pair of scissors and cut out all the ads in the magazine and see how much editorial and features you're left with. I'll guarantee it's less than half the magazine (the worst offenders are fashion magazines which can be over 2/3 advertising.)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I just spread the magazine out in the shop and let the crap fall to the floor there.

Me too. Always by accident of course. I didn't know it had loose stuff inside it. Not my fault if it falls out.
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    I have just almost filled my paper recyling box up with the inserts from my Sunday papers mags

We have cotton traders, the book club, next, argos sky etc etc. all of which I have just binned without actually reading them.

Now usually I try and chuck any inserts away before I buy the mags but they had shrinkwrapped the bleddy things

Has anyone on here bought anything, joined anything or have had their lives changed by reading these things.

Or like me do you just chuck them

I've bought the odd thing off them before now, rugby fleece from Cotton traders for my dad etc. but now it seems we are disappearing under a mountain of christmas mail order catalogues and everything else under the sun through the letter box (amazing as well how so many of them have my initial wrong :rolleyes:)

Flyers for DFS (they still got a sale on?), Argos etc. :mad:

Might have a quick scan though them, but then they go in the recycling bag
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Me too. Always by accident of course. I didn't know it had loose stuff inside it. Not my fault if it falls out.

If you pick the mag up by the spine corner at the top, you can usually deposit them on the shelf where you pick the magazine up from without drawing attention to it, should it be necessary:D
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I leave it all in W H Smiths, why should I carry it home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I hate those bloody things. Especially the huge fashion catalogs they have stuck in the middle that can't be shaken out. They all go straight in the bin without even looking at them. Nothing but tat anyway
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I just spread the magazine out in the shop and let the crap fall to the floor there. /QUOTE]

So do I !! Newsagent get quite pi**ed off when I do it!
  • Options
    PortnoyPortnoy Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Another one for holding by the spine above the bin here.

Although they've added a few 'Kay's Catalogue' inserts now which are difficult to resist
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find an envelope put all the junk in it and address to any one of the offending companies with a note at the bottom of the envelope "payment on receipt" or just find any old "freepost" address.

Any crap that requires my address on a prepaid form I always send back with a fictitious address and bank details if required, it then wastes their time having to process it.

The more sent back the sooner it stops. Can you imagine these companies being flooded with returned junk, they would soon get the message we did not want it. Dumping it in the recycling bin is too easy and they then think least their junk is read.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Find an envelope put all the junk in it and address to any one of the offending companies with a note at the bottom of the envelope "payment on receipt" or just find any old "freepost" address.

Any crap that requires my address on a prepaid form I always send back with a fictitious address and bank details if required, it the wastes their time having to process it.

The more sent back the sooner it stops. Can you imagine these companies being flooded with returned junk, they would soon get the message we did not want it. Dumping it in the recycling bin is too easy and they then think least their junk is read.

And what does that achieve? I could understand if the thread was about unsolicited junkmail through your home letterbox, but this is about inserts in your Sunday paper, ie paid for advertising.

Without inserts, your paper would cost a lot more. You think £1.40 covers the cost of producing, printing and distributing 200-300 pages? If you don't like them, just bin them.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed I have just chucked away stuff from my mags - like need company phone Big Bertha on 0898 loads of them in there :mad:
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what does that achieve? I could understand if the thread was about unsolicited junkmail through your home letterbox, but this is about inserts in your Sunday paper, ie paid for advertising.

Without inserts, your paper would cost a lot more. You think £1.40 covers the cost of producing, printing and distributing 200-300 pages? If you don't like them, just bin them.

We managed since the 1800's to produce newspapers at a profit at a reasonable price to the consumers without the need for inserts in newspapers, this is just a recent innovation and the advertisers could quite easily put their adverts as part of the paper and would do if inserts were not available.

As for the 200-300 pages, how many do you actually read or even want? Very few pages of actual news and many full of gossip and trivia of little of no importance.

Smaller papers with less half page or page pictures of celebrities or plates of food that could easily fit in a quarter page with massive headlines all add to the high cost of production, this particular applies to the colour magazines
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    They all go straight in the bin, or occasionally into some other random, unrelated magazine still on the shelf.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all go straight in the bin, or occasionally into some other random, unrelated magazine still on the shelf.

I thought it was just me who did that