Should public executions be brought back to Britain?

GTA 5GTA 5 Posts: 21
Forum Member
Should the death penalty be reinstated to Britain for criminals who have been prosecuted and have been judged as guilty in law?

What type of criminal or their length of sentence time should be at risk of execution and how should it be done?

If it is deemed of public interest should it be televised for the viewing public as to deter other criminal behavior? Was it ever a good idea to get rid of executions in the first place? Or is prison the answer after all?

"Some say that broadcasting an execution would offer an unbalanced picture — making the condemned seem helpless and sympathetic, while keeping the victims of the crime out of the picture. But this is beside the point: the defendant is being executed precisely because a jury found that his crimes were so heinous that he deserved to die."

"There is a dramatic difference between reading or hearing of such an event and observing it through image and sound. (This is obvious to those who saw the footage of Saddam Hussein’s hanging in 2006 or the death of Neda Agha-Soltan during the protests in Iran in 2009.) We are not calling for opening executions completely to the public — conducting them before a live crowd — but rather for broadcasting them live or recording them for future release, on the Web or TV."

On a lighter note, should troublesome Digital Spy users be executed in from of a live DS audience? :eek:

Andy Sugden and Rufus "The" Hound might agree :D

Comments

• Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only for the present cabinet;)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    The death penalty will never come back.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Regarding the death penalty.
    I have a question.
    You know in some countries they give people the lethal injection?
    Well do they administer the same drugs which they use when they put a cat or a dog down?
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suppose we all have to have a first post...

My answer is a categorical no. Never, ever, ever. Not the death penalty, not in public....just no. On all counts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many more times! Hasn't it already been discussed to death on this forum already? (pun very much intended)
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the death penalty ever came back, which I doubt it will, it's unlikely that public executions would take place. That wouldn't stop Simon Cowell trying to achieve it, though. :D
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't do yourself a favour called GTA :P
  • dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    Regarding the death penalty.
    I have a question.
    You know in some countries the give people the lethal injection?
    Well do they administer the same drugs which they use when they put a cat or a dog down?

Those drugs must be expensive..theres two lots,one to put them out and another to finish them off..wouldnt it be cheaper to just drown them in these times of economic austerity
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Suppose we all have to have a first post...

My answer is a categorical no. Never, ever, ever. Not the death penalty, not in public....just no. On all counts.

Damn spoilsport ! !
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - why not. Take the family down to watch a public execution on a Saturday evening. Maybe make it a reality format in which the public could ring in for their desired choice of execution?
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    No.

Stupid idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the death penalty ever came back, which I doubt it will, it's unlikely that public executions would take place. That wouldn't stop Simon Cowell trying to achieve it, though. :D

Now that is very likely :eek::eek:
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Those drugs must be expensive..theres two lots,one to put them out and another to finish them off..wouldnt it be cheaper to just drown them in these times of economic austerity

That or burn them and feed their bodies to the starving.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Incidentally, the last public hanging in this country was in 1868. By that time they were attracting so many people who brought packed lunches and sat around the area for the day (especially in the Summer), that the government decided they had become no more than a cheap form of entertainment for the masses, and so stopped them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    How many more times! Hasn't it already been discussed to death on this forum already? (pun very much intended)

Well brady wants to ie....just give him enough rope and he,ll hang himself ( pun very much intended )
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is it that time of the week already?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...another long time lurker, no doubt?
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy topic for a first ever post.

I think someone is back from a ban ?
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    No.

Incidentally, the last public hanging in this country was in 1868. By that time they were attracting so many people who brought packed lunches and sat around the area for the day (especially in the Summer), that the government decided they had become no more than a cheap form of entertainment for the masses, and so stopped them.

Booo!

You could make a tidy profit with a chuck wagon set up outside the Scrubs or something for public hangings. Although the guillotine would be better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is it that time of the week already?

Finally, a question on this thread that we can answer with "Yes".
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Booo!

You could make a tidy profit with a chuck wagon set up outside the Scrubs or something for public hangings. Although the guillotine would be better.

Let's be honest, it would be exactly the same nowadays.

I'm pretty sure that for the later public executions in the 1850's and 60's, special excursion trains were laid on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or give them to tesco who will turn them into beefburgers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Let's be honest, it would be exactly the same nowadays.

I'm pretty sure that for the later public executions in the 1850's and 60's, special excursion trains were laid on.

Seeing as we are the generations brought up on violent films and video games we would probably find it far too tame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i misread that at first it looked like bum and not burn...gonna say..that really is an appropriatepunishment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Or give them to tesco who will turn them into beefburgers.

huntleyburgers