Has their appearance on SCD changed your view of someone?

mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
Forum Member
✭✭
Or did you think they were a gobby so-and-so both before and afterwards?

I had quite a positive view of Jason Donovan before he appeared on Strictly. Seemed a cheerful sort of bloke. I knew he had had addiction problems but was now clean, so kudos to the man for that.
But on Strictly he was SOOO Dull. And not say nothing dull, but rambling on and on dull.

Conversely, I had never heard of Chelsee Healey before she appeared on SCD, but I admit my opinion of her was coloured by her appearance, as I am not a fan of young women with false boobs and lips. But as the weeks went on, I considered her a sweet girl- not a Nobel prize winner, but funny and self deprecating.

Has Strictly changed your opinion of anyone?
Has taking part in the show been a Public Relations disaster for anyone?

Comments

• sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pamela Stephenson was a revelation.

She used to be such a funny comedian. I always assumed she was bright,witty and very much her own woman. I never thought of her as being desperate or self absorbed, or even deluded.

She was all three. :rolleyes:
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - now I know who most of them are.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member
    I agree about Chelsee, my reaction when I saw her was, "Who is this awful Chav?" over the following weeks I found her endearingly vunerable, and a girl who really gave 100%, and I ended up by really liking her.

Which just goes to show, never judge by appearances. ;)
  • Funky MangoFunky Mango Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree about Jason and Chelsee.

Before this season started, I thought Julien would be annoying. Now I think he's possibly the most annoying man on the planet.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took an instant & probably irrational dislike to Chelsee at the start of the series. By the end I thought she was a sweet genuine girl.

Can't think of anyone else that changed my opinion so completely
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with regards to Chelsee I was prepared to dislike her intensely but towards the end of the series I was voting for her !

I didn't mind Julien Macdonald on ITT last year but he is making my ears bleed with his constant screeching and general OTT mannerisms I find very hard to take - I truly hope he is one of the first to go.

Again I didn't mind Dom Littlewood on the tv but he came over as borderline pervy I felt very sorry for Lilia ! !
  • flugellaflugella Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree that Chelsee was a revelation - so sweet and unpretentious and her relationship with "Pash" was fantastic.

I thought Widdy would be a nightmare - and she was, and I actually expected Rachel Stevens to be more lively than she was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Yes - now I know who most of them are.

:D:D:D:D:D very good point. I never watch soaps or breakfast TV so have not got a clue who most of them are.

Furthermore, I will never even contemplate watching breakfast tv now. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Chelsee, my reaction when I saw her was, "Who is this awful Chav?" over the following weeks I found her endearingly vunerable, and a girl who really gave 100%, and I ended up by really liking her.

I thought the same. I am ashamed of myself. I adored her in the end and was rooting for her. I am not even vaguely maternal either and she is young enough to be my daughter. I was willing her on.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Gavin Henson was a drunk, vain, vacuous, arrogant waste of space.

I didn't realise how hilarious he was going to be, I now love him. :o:D

I thought Austin Healey was a gobby, arrogant, nasty English rugby player and he's now my favourite contestant ever - clever, funny, quite humble and never took himself too seriously.

Thought Nancy del Olio was a professional mistress who just looked good and had no personality, didn't realise how utterly insane and fabulous she is. :D
    Forum Member
    I always thought that Julian McDonald was an opinionated over the top screaming queen when I used to see him in the costumes section in ITT last year.

This year has only confirmed by opinion, only now I really loathe him and just pray that he leaves this weekend because he is going to spoil the whole programme for me. :eek:
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that Julian McDonald was an opinionated over the top screaming queen when I used to see him in the costumes section in ITT last year.

This year has only confirmed by opinion, only now I really loathe him and just pray that he leaves this weekend because he is going to spoil the whole programme for me. :eek:

I don't think you are by any means on your own there hun.

Suddenly with the free vote on BBC website they get millions of ABJs, Anyone but Julien. ;)
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »

I thought Austin Healey was a gobby, arrogant, nasty English rugby player and he's now my favourite contestant ever - clever, funny, quite humble and never took himself too seriously.

Thought Nancy del Olio was a professional mistress who just looked good and had no personality, didn't realise how utterly insane and fabulous she is. :D

I thought that that was the truth of the matter.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already transformed my opinion of Abbey......I thinks she's warm, witty and very smart. Before I just thought she was another vacuous, vain Wag.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anita Dobson.

Before Strictly I had this idea in my head that she was full of herself ( mixing her up with the Angie Watts character, probably)

But what a lovely woman she turned out to be.

My favourite ever SCD contestant, personality-wise.
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    I really looked forward to Jason Donovan taking part as he was great on I'm A Celeb, but after a few weeks of his droning and frankly scary dance faces, I was willing him to be eliminated every week.

Chelsee was the opposite. Her 'single & ready to mingle' comment at the launch show had my heart dropping like a stone but I quickly found her to be a real sweethart & hardworking girl. One of my favourite contestants.

I thought that Gavin Henson would be a vain eejit but I grew to love his dry sense of humour & his partnership with Katya is one of my all time favourites.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree......I positively adored her and by the end voted for her to win. Her QS, Charleston and Jive were season highlights for me and I went from thinking she was some some dreadful, thick ice who could barely string a sentence together to an absolute sweetie. Trouble is hanging round with that hideous Tuloosa has rather sent my opinion backwards again. :(
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch a lot of TV, so had never heard of Matt Baker. After his week one dance, I thought he was going to be my favourite, but I liked him less and less each week. Circa week 5 or 6, I finally abandoned him altogether. Fortunately, I also discovered Kara around the same time...in previous weeks, I kept forgetting she was in the show, she had zero presence to me :eek:
  • TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I thought Jodie Kidd would be up herself, but she turned out to be lovely :)
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVO I used to quite like her but after being paired with James & her antics last year I can't abide her.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family where not fans of Patsy Kensit when she first started but after her first dance she came across really genuine and we liked her.
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    My family where not fans of Patsy Kensit when she first started but after her first dance she came across really genuine and we liked her.

I agree, but Patsy was lucky, as Robin always seems to bring out the very best in his partners. :)
    Forum Member
    Anita Dobson.

Before Strictly I had this idea in my head that she was full of herself ( mixing her up with the Angie Watts character, probably)

But what a lovely woman she turned out to be.

My favourite ever SCD contestant, personality-wise.

I agree, I voted for Anita every week, and as I have mentioned previously, Robin always brings out the very best in his partners.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »

Yup I agree with all this. Gavin was a sheer delight, such a shame he keeps screwing things up in the outside world.

Austin waz robbed

Nancy was a hoot.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    What I've discovered over the years is that my opinion can change from show to show.

A great example of this is Stephanie Beacham. I really liked her on Strictly but not at all on Big Brother.

Because of this I try especially hard always to keep an open mind.