Biggest 'name' to have been on Strictly?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Beckham thread got me thinking ~ who is the biggest name/most famous person to have been on Strictly? Of course, it's all relative as to a large extent the degree of 'fame' someone has depends upon your level of interest/knowledge in their field, but off the top of my head, Jerry Hall, Emma Bunton and Stephanie Beacham seem like some of the biggest names to me, even though their careers were maybe not so perky when they signed up.

Other suggestions?

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Martina Hingis, a former World Number 1 tennis player and globally famous, has to be up there?
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Brook was with Billy Zane when she signed up so probably very well known in the States as well as here at the time and half of a Hollywood couple.
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason Donovan like Emma - not at the height of his career but known globally
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Bunton, easily.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Ashley Taylor Dawson's got a pretty big name.

Wait, what?
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce Forsyth - more famous than any of those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    Jason Donovan like Emma - not at the height of his career but known globally

Yes, that's a good one ~ I had blissfully erased his time on the show from my memory ;-)

I've just had a scan through the list of contestants on Wikipedia ~ Lulu's a global name too, I guess.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Penny Lancaster...

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's a good one ~ I had blissfully erased his time on the show from my memory ;-)

I've just had a scan through the list of contestants on Wikipedia ~ Lulu's a global name too, I guess.

Lulu sort of has legendary status really - she'd certainly be towards the top of the fame-o-meter
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria Pendleton?
    Forum Member
    If I'm being serious and trying to avoid names already posted I'd throw the names of Harry Judd, Nicky Byrne and Michelle Williams into the metaphorical hat.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if you think UK fame or international fame.

From an international perspective by far Martina Hingis. Emma Bunton I would say second.
    Jason Donovan, Jerry Hall are semi well known.
    Michelle Williams on her own is not that well known.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a golf fan but even I recognised Tony Jacklin, so I'll add him to the list!
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Victoria Pendleton?

Probably agree with that, one of our biggest stars of the 2012 (and 2008) Olympics, countless medals and coming of the back of Olympic fever- I think she probably is (The only person more famous would potentially be either Tom Daley or Jessica Ennis if we're talking about Olympians)
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julian Clary.....
    Peter Schmeichel......
    Joe Calzaghe - possiby........
    Forum Member
    marinamau wrote: »
    Depends if you think UK fame or international fame.

From an international perspective by far Martina Hingis. Emma Bunton I would say second.
    Jason Donovan, Jerry Hall are semi well known.
    Michelle Williams on her own is not that well known.

But Michelle was in one of the biggest groups of all time, regardless of whether she's had her own individual fame, the name Destinys Child does wonders
  • FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course if you believe the vast number of "I've never heard of any of them" threads that appear every year then none of them are famous :D;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    But Michelle was in one of the biggest groups of all time, regardless of whether she's had her own individual fame, the name Destinys Child does wonders

whilst I do get what you are saying, when people say Destinys Child I immediately think Beyonce and 2 other girls - Michelle and - sorry, I dont even know the others ones name :blush: she might have been in one of the biggest groups of all time but, to me, she isnt that well known in her own right - if that makes sense......
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    it's all relative as to a large extent the degree of 'fame' someone has depends upon your level of interest/knowledge in their field,

Indeed
    olivej wrote: »
    when people say Destinys Child .

Who?
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    whilst I do get what you are saying, when people say Destinys Child I immediately think Beyonce and 2 other girls - Michelle and - sorry, I dont even know the others ones name :blush: she might have been in one of the biggest groups of all time but, to me, she isnt that well known in her own right - if that makes sense......

Well obviously Beyonce is the star with Kelly Rowland 2nd, but the reunion last year was the point most people were excited about of the Beyonce Super Bowl halftime show which was probably the most anticipated half time show in recent years
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly, it must be Darcey Bussell--she's International & revered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Indeed

Who?

kinda proves my point :blush:
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well obviously Beyonce is the star with Kelly Rowland 2nd, but the reunion last year was the point most people were excited about of the Beyonce Super Bowl halftime show which was probably the most anticipated half time show in recent years

Some may have been watching to see if Kelly and Michelle's mics had been turned down, in order not to overshadow Beyonce.;-)
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member

Maybe but I had no idea who she was before she appeared on SCD and to be honest I actually can't remember what she looks like now.

I would perhaps say Lulu or Emma Bunton to answer the OP's question.
  • strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to say Michele Williams from Destiny's child!