Has Rowling swung it for No ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
I mean, maybe not David Bowie, but JK Rowling saying No, has that or will that swing it ?

Comments

• gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the author of the Harry Potter novels has much in common with the No campaign they both tell tales
    of absolute fantasy To answer your question i dont think it will make a blind bit of difference either way
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I would be appalled if anyone changed their vote as to whether their nation should be independent because a novellist says so.

She is a multi millionairess so what possible relevance does she have for many Scots.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About as much persuasion as her last attempt perhaps when see gave the Gordon Brown and the Labour party £1 million back in 2008:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/3021309/Harry-Potter-author-JK-Rowling-gives-1-million-to-Labour.html

....and we know how that turned out.

Maybe Scottish people see her differently?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    If multitudes change their minds based on what that churner-outer of drivel says, then they frankly don't deserve sovereignty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    If multitudes change their minds based on what that churner-outer of drivel says, then they frankly don't deserve sovereignty.

But she is the Woman. When she speaks, people pay attention.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but the latest polls show why they are so desperate for her millions
    Our monthly poll shows Yes and No virtually neck-and-neck with less than 100 days to go, and if voters are sure of Tory success, separation has an 8% lead.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bombshell-daily-record-poll-shows-3678091
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    But she is the Woman. When she speaks, people pay attention.

Well I'm glad I never bought one of those paving slabs of twaddle she wrote.
    Look where the proceeds are going now.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Well I'm glad I never bought one of those paving slabs of twaddle she wrote.
    Look where the proceeds are going now.

She is entitled to her viewpoint, even if you don't agree with it.

And she has lived in Scotland for over 20 years.
  • DrillerKillerDrillerKiller Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Aye its worked. Me and all my pals were avid yes supporters till jk gave wee burnie and her pals a million quid. Noo we are rule brittania all the way lol ;-)
  • PrinceShaunPrinceShaun Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of you are forgetting something incredibly fundamental about Rowling, she was completely broke before HP was published. She was a single mum living on benefits in a council flat with no heating, In Scotland nevertheless. She is not just an out of touch millionaire spouting her mouth off.

Her words speak volumes, unfortunately for Salmond.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye its worked. Me and all my pals were avid yes supporters till jk gave wee burnie and her pals a million quid. Noo we are rule brittania all the way lol ;-)

Hopefully it'll backfire. If I were a Scot I'd be roundly insulted to think anyone would think I'd change my mind 'cos a fiction author says I should.
  • PrinceShaunPrinceShaun Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll backfire. If I were a Scot I'd be roundly insulted to think anyone would think I'd change my mind 'cos a fiction author says I should.

Again... Read my post above.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of you are forgetting something incredibly fundamental about Rowling, she was completely broke before HP was published. She was a single mum living on benefits in a council flat with no heating, In Scotland nevertheless. She is not just an out of touch millionaire spouting her mouth off.

Her words speak volumes, unfortunately for Salmond.

That was 20 Years ago. This is now. Just because she used to be broke, doesn't mean that she somehow has her finger on the pulse of the nation and intrinsically knows what's good or bad or right or wrong. That sort of sloppy thinking is what the No campaign are hoping for by publicizing her donation.

Her opinions are just that. Opinions.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her decision has made a sufficient impact to give people who weren't completely set in their ways pause for thought, that's for sure.

First, her reasons for rejecting independence were considered and eloquent - unlike much of the rhetoric from both sides. Second, the rabid abuse that she has received following her decision will have appalled many fair minded Scots who will now be wondering whether they want to associate themselves in any way with such people.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »

Fair point, however we see even on this forum how much weight some place on the views of people like the fake reverend in Bath.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Her decision has made a sufficient impact to give people who weren't completely set in their ways pause for thought, that's for sure.

First, her reasons for rejecting independence were considered and eloquent - unlike much of the rhetoric from both sides. Second, the rabid abuse that she has received following her decision will have appalled many fair minded Scots who will now be wondering whether they want to associate themselves in any way with such people.

I'd emphasise this. The appalling comments from the so called Yes supporters if read by ordinary working women who were undecided cannot fail but to have an effect on their decision.

It was a brave decision in my opinion as she would surely have know the treatment that would be meted out to her.

So I do believe coming out for NO will have an affect on voters.
    Forum Member
    Louise32 wrote: »
    She is entitled to her viewpoint, even if you don't agree with it.

Having a viewpoint is fine. I just think she's got some sauce moving into another country and then trying to use her financial clout to prevent that country from gaining the right to self-determination.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that a non Scottish novelist who just so happens to live in Edinburgh has stirred things up to the point where her personal opinion has seen her labelled a traitor by some muppet says it all afaic.

I've got to the point where I couldn't care less what happens anymore. Reasoned debate took a backseat in favour of putdowns , bu!!5hit, and the desire to win ones argument at any cost a long time ago.

Neither camp is prepared to recognise any benefits the other case has to offer for fear of losing, prefering instead to do anything but have a proper debate - be that preying on people's fears or whipping up anti English sentiment with snide remarks about Westminster and tory governments.

The fact that politicians adopt those tactics is sad, but understandable because it's clear to see that it works. People are sheep.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a viewpoint is fine. I just think she's got some sauce moving into another country and then trying to use her financial clout to prevent that country from gaining the right to self-determination.

Scotland does have a right to self-determination and the referendum is the expression of that right. Self-determination includes the option not to want to be independent.

At least Rowling has a vote in this which is more than most of us do. Whether she is a Scot or not is irrelevant.It's pretty sad that she is getting so much criticism. If a wealthy actor or author donated to the Yes campaign would the pro-independence folk praise them?

Anyway, it's all small change compared to what two lottery winners have donated to the SNP and Yes Scotland: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27428095
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't she just give the money anonymously?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    The fact that a non Scottish novelist who just so happens to live in Edinburgh
    Non-Scottish? As a usual resident of Scotland she gets to vote in the referendum on Scottish independence, and in the event of Scottish independence would be granted Scottish citizenship, unsure if she has to ask for it or just gets it.

What happens to those with UK nationality living in Scotland, those born in Scotland and those born in other parts of the UK or elsewhere in the world, if Scotland becomes independent as far as citizenship, do they all become foreigners stay UK citizens living in Scotland, or do they get dual nationality UK and Scottish or do they lose their UK citizenship becoming Scottish citizens instead.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sauce?

You make it sound as if she moved up to Scotland last Tuesday with the sole purpose of rocking the boat for the nats.

:)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »

Or give it to charity instead.

Do Alastair Darling or Gordon Brown need to travel by private jet?. The No campaign has the establishment and big business behind it so I really don't know what they need all that money for.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps because there are rules on expenditure which require declaration/publication of donations above a certain amount so it was always going to come out one way or the other?

I don't know...just suggesting it could explain the decision.

Besides I don't suppose a millionaire author's opinion will have more impact than a millionaire former Bond actor...except of course on those sections of the voting population know them best...which might lead Salmon to regret giving votes to 16 year olds who were weaned on Snotter after all ;-)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you really think that people should be able to donate large sums to political parties and campaigns anonymously? That's just asking for trouble.

Anyway, these are the rules:
    http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/164391/to-ris-ref-donations.pdf