Options

Brazil still can't forget Argentina 78 , revenge?

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
For those fms who remember, this and for those that dont here is reminder
Brazil were in the 78 world cup final unless Argentina best Peru 6/0 which wasn't going to happen in Argentina with the Peruvian goalkeeper who happened to be born in Argentina was it?
This of course was in days before the semi finals wete introduced just two groups who didn't kick off at same time either
Of course this brought end to group games and semi finals were introduced from 82 in world cup
http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/june-25-the-shame-of-argentina-78.php

Comments

• Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Brazil were in the 78 world cup final unless Argentina best Peru 6/0 which wasn't going to happen in Argentina with the Peruvian goalkeeper who happened to be born in Argentina was it?
    This of course was in days before the semi finals wete introduced just two groups who didn't kick off at same time either
    Of course this brought end to group games and semi finals were introduced from 82 in world cup
    http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/june-25-the-shame-of-argentina-78.php

FYI Argentina had to beat them by four clear goals, not six. But they won 6-0.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »

There were quarter and semi finals in '66 and '70, as well as before that too. I think the group format used in Argentina had been used in the previous WC in Germany too, but it was not the norm apart from then as far as I recall.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that game, Peru hit the inside of the post in the first half. It takes great skill to throw a game with that accuracy.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i guess the 7-1 was making some point or other
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,005
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    In that game, Peru hit the inside of the post in the first half. It takes great skill to throw a game with that accuracy.
    I remember that game. it didn't look like Peru weren't trying. They were outplayed.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there was no "World Cup Final" in 1950 no matter how many sources say so.