Options

Germaine Greer - should she be taken seriously?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I started reading The Female Eunuch a while ago and never got past the first few chapters, I remember Greer repeating herself alot in it.
    But I did have to read plenty of Camille Paglia for my dissertation. OMG, the woman is obsessed with c0ck!! Every imaginable thing was phallic according to Ms Paglia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    Daisydoes wrote: »
    GG and the rest of the world's global feminist groups are the reason women are still being held back! Feminists are more dangerous to the rights and future of women than any man!!

I'm not sure that's really true. I think it's a generational thing: the lady who does my brazilian waxes was a young woman in the 70s and she says the Female Eunuch changed her life and gave her the encouragement she needed to start her own business at a time when young women were still encouraged to become wives and mothers and little more.

Although GG may be a little outmoded as a feminist thinker I do like some of her comments, particularly her criticism of the irritating Shilpa Shetty and awful Steve Irwin. Like a lot of very intelligent people, she does suffer somewhat from having a massive ego, but I still think she can be a very interesting commentater at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Germaine Greer, even though she's a Tab, but I was disappointed when she appeared on BB. I felt that it was rather beneath her to do such a thing and I don't know why she deigned to do so. Did she raise some money for charity through that or something?

xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    I like Germaine Greer, even though she's a Tab, but I was disappointed when she appeared on BB. I felt that it was rather beneath her to do such a thing and I don't know why she deigned to do so. Did she raise some money for charity through that or something?

xx

I don't know about the charity aspect but I think her motivation was probably the rather grubbier idea that she might get some publicity out of it. I agree that it was a bad idea and she went down in my estimation a bit as a result.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    i guess shes entertainingly wrong..she shows up on everything it seems. but she's just another bitter old feminist.