Options

Can you get cheap flights?

SealegSealeg Posts: 449
Forum Member
My friend in New Jersey really wants me to visit this summer, I've been saying i will for ages but can never afford it.

Is there any way to get cheap flights, pref from Manchester. I've looked at loads and they all seem to want nearly a grand:(

Comments

• Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Well a quick look on skyscanner can get you there in June for under £500

You haven't specified what dates but skyscanner is a good site for research.
    Just remember you will pay extra for sociable timed direct flights... cheaper ones will give you plenty of time to catch up on your reading though ;)
  • Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Thanks, will check that one out. Think it has to be summer holidays though, unfortunately the only time I can go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    try Kayak or Holiday Genie.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sealeg wrote: »
    Thanks, will check that one out. Think it has to be summer holidays though, unfortunately the only time I can go.

To get the best value flights during school holidays, you'll probably need to go via mainland Europe ie Copenhagen or Amsterdam. All adds to your total journey time, but will be cheaper than direct flights.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted - accidentally sent twice..
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're not booking with the airline itself, then read the small print carefully before you committ yourself.

Some agencies state in the T&C that the price quoted is the best price found in the past month from A to B. Or from cities in the same state/country as A and B. Once you've paid, they then try to get you a ticket.

They'll then get back to you to say the price has increased. You then have the choice of a) paying the excess, or b) getting a refund.

If you opt for the refund, this can take weeks, and they might deduct "admin charges" - if the T&C allow them to.

I think BA is having a sale at the moment - it might be worth having a look at what they quote.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That seems very high - You should be able to get them in at under 500, easily.

eBookers, Opodo and kayak should all find you some. Try going from Manchester to Philadelphia and driving up from there.

Are you staying over a Saturday night ? That makes a huge difference (downwards) to the price.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can go via somewhere it's really cheap. I flew to Chicago with KLM via Amsterdam and it cost under £400. Worth checking out the indirect flights.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second the advice of indirect flights and Skyscanner. Just put in Manchester and New Jersey, be flexible with dates (as much as you can) and it'll throw up all sorts of permutations.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably obvious, but have you tried Newark, Philadelphia and maybe as far away as Baltimore and Washington DC (Dulles Airport)?
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Probably obvious, but have you tried Newark, Philadelphia and maybe as far away as Baltimore and Washington DC (Dulles Airport)?

That's a very good suggestion. In my experience of travelling to the States (from Belfast or Dublin) which I do quite a bit for work, Newark flights are always, always really expensive. And don't even bother with the New York airports.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »

When I did an experimental search I searched Newark (i just assumed that was the main airport in New Jersey!)
  • Options
    mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just saw a direct to LA in nov for £280 - amazingly cheap!!
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mizhog wrote: »

That's probably a single airfare :p
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only snag is it's a fairly long walk from Los Angeles to New Jersey.... :)
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a very good suggestion. In my experience of travelling to the States (from Belfast or Dublin) which I do quite a bit for work, Newark flights are always, always really expensive. And don't even bother with the New York airports.

Newark didn't used to be too bad at all with Continental (from the mainland UK at least) until a couple of years ago, but since the merger they have become significantly more expensive.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who was that with?
  • Options
    mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Who was that with?

i think it was air new zealand
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I know this is very old fashioned but have you thought of going to a Travel Agent and seeing what they come up with.
    I know ppl book on line now and I do also but no harm in going down every avenue, you never know what they might come up with.
    I did a couple of years ago when I went to the USA as I could not fly direct and was uncertain how much time to allow in Atlanta.
    I checked out prices on line and the cost was about the same as the TA charged me.