Options

Why do keepers get away with it?

kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
Forum Member
✭✭
Almost every game I watch I see a goalie foul players during corners etc and they get the freekick for a foul on them when it should be the other way.

Also Lloris against man utd on New Year's Day lunged out two footed and nothing was said if this was an outfield player there would be cries for a straight red. Also anyone watching the man city game today seen thier keeper jump out at the ball with his studs showing at head height and yet again not even a mention yet it should have been a red and a pen to Blackburn.

I know keepers need protected but to me they get far to much why is this?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I basically agree. As far as I am concerned goalkeepers are just like any other players, except they can handle and hold on to the ball in the box ( and some are mad ! )

They certainly have no right to lunge two footed at players or jump all over other players.

Actually, if not by the referree, quite a lot was made of the Lloris incident in the media and in here, so I think many folk agree with you.

As to how we have got where we are, with this stange sense from officialdom that that's OK because it's the goalkeeper, I have no idea nor can I see any justification for it in any laws.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    How many players have you seen injured by keepers "lunging" two-footed or by their "head high" studs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »
    How many players have you seen injured by keepers "lunging" two-footed or by their "head high" studs?

And that is relevant how ? It is often done in the vicinity of other players, who have to take avoiding action. Plenty outfield players are dismissed while barely or not even touching the opponent.

Actualy going back rather, but that French player that the German goalkeeper, Schumacher, wiped out at Spain '82 might have some thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doesn't matter if it's once or one hundred injuries they get away with with why?

And for your quoted head high did you watch the match? It was a red everyday of the week yet nothin will come of it
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has always been the case that referees afford goalkeepers extra protection on the field and give them the benefit of the doubt when there is an incident.

It does amuse though when a keeper climbs all over an opposing player and then gets given the foul in their favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just don't remember injuries caused by keepers to outfield players except those collisions where they usually come off worst. The question still stands.

Not that I'm suggesting TV likes to use the worst angles to make things look worse, and then to get very over-excited. That would be crazzzy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a goalkeeper myself I'm afraid I disagree, the more protection for them the better :D
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Goalies today are treated like Ming vases. Go back to the days of Nat Lofthouse, and a goalie could be barged into the net with the ball, as long as he had both feet on the ground. And has anyone ever seen the 6sec rule enforced, when goalies blatantly take 10secs or more to release?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I think referees should give more penalties generally (and indeed free kicks to the defending team) for all the shirt pulling that goes on before corners and free kicks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »

Actualy going back rather, but that French player that the German goalkeeper, Schumacher, wiped out at Spain '82 might have some thoughts on the matter.

Patrick Battiston. Horrible incident.:( Platini thought he was dead.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a new one, punishment based around the extent to which a player is injured.

Red card only if you basically kill the opponent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just asking for one example (again .... again). Sorry if that offends your hysteria.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I think referees should give more penalties generally (and indeed free kicks to the defending team) for all the shirt pulling that goes on before corners and free kicks.

It seems that the interpetation of the laws for whatever happens in the box is different for what happens outside the box. Another action which seems to go unpunished is when the attacking player gets his shot away and is then taken out by a late tackle from the defending team. I suppose it revolves around whether there is ant advantage, but more often than not there isn't. Anywhere else on the field and it would be a freekick for a lot tackle, and even if advantage is played then the ref should be going back and booking the defender for what is often a cynical lunge. Also, what is all this "good play from the defender, he just did enough there" when they really mean he committed a foul and got away with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just asking for one example (again .... again). Sorry if that offends your hysteria.

You were given Harald Schumacher earlier in the thread.

Sorry if you are unable to read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. 1982. In Spain.

I think I'll leave you to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know you had imposed a time frame on the example.

Noone else is arguing injury as a relevant factor regardless.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Goalkeeper Foul - YouTube
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLfdQPkG8w Cached
    He almost took of his head ... Sign in with your Google Account (YouTube, Google+, Gmail, Orkut, Picasa, or Chrome) to add HighNakedAndLazy 's video to ...
    .Play Video

This is the way to do it 😄
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm there was an incident not too dissimilar between Friedel and Torres a few years back where Friedel DID get red carded but it was rescinded a few days later.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've all had this argument, often just after a keeper has got away with something against our team, but it's one in an every increasing list of ways in which players are playing brinkmanship with the rules.

Every team and every player tries it on at one time or another. If we consistently rose against it, rather than just when it cost our team, then things may change.

Even as a Liverpool fan, Skrtel's use of his arms when defending is laughably extreme and it's going to cost us soon if something is not done. Officials have let it go so far that it's now commonplace at corners and free kicks. Goalkeepers push yet are also deliberately obstructed.

It's like anything in life. Give an inch and some will take a mile.

Weak authorities and weak officiating.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    If a keeper comes out to challenge for a ball like Cato coming out of a wardrobe in a Pink Panther movie what difference does it make whether he injures a player or not as to whether its a foul?

How many red card tackles actually cause major injuries?

Since when was that a benchmark?