Options

Recent email scams

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
Forum Member
✭✭
I am sure I am not the only one to receive a spate of emails in the last few days with zip file attachments, usually purporting to come from banks (but two today saying they were faxes).

Has anyone been brave (read: foolish) enough to investigate what is in these zip files, or have any knowledge of the content?

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    unsurprisingly it's usually a virus of some kind.

i do open them sometimes and have a look. it's usually something called photo.jpg.exe or document.pdf.exe with the appropriate icon.
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Yes, I nearly opened one which was something.jpg.exe. I'd just pressed the mouse and too late I realised what I'd done so I killed the whole thing by leaning on the power button! You just see the jpg and think it's ok. I'm more intrigued by these purporting to come from MBNA, which I never open. They are something like statement @mbna.co.uk Fortunately I haven't got an MBNA card or I might have opened it.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a couple recently purporting to come from Paypal, needing me to log in to unlock my account.

But the English is not very good. And it's not sent to my Paypal email.......