Options

Why the bitter rant from Trevor Eve??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Trying to figure out what Trevor Eve's major malfunction is?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a273589/trevor-eve-slams-bbc-who-focus.html

Was he turned down for the part of the Doctor in the past 'cause it does sound like a petulent stamp of the foot?!

If he stopped to think for a second he'd realise that :

a) Doctor Who costs a pretty small percentage of the BBC production budget (and less than last year!)

b) It brings in outside income from worldwide sales of the show and merchandising.

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a273589/trevor-eve-slams-bbc-who-focus.html

Was he turned down for the part of the Doctor in the past 'cause it does sound like a petulent stamp of the foot?!

a) Doctor Who costs a pretty small percentage of the BBC production budget (and less than last year!)

b) It brings in outside income from worldwide sales of the show and merchandising.

It's amazing how everyone is lining up to take a pop at Doctor Who lately. First Stephen Fry, now Trevor Eve. That's a result of a jealously due to a programme doing really well I think. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remind me, someone: what has Trevor Eve been in, recently? Anything notable? I remember him in Shoestring, but that was quite a while ago...
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »

That's quite strange:confused:.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the oddest thing about it is he seems to think Sherlock is some kind of Doctor Who spin off, when the origins of that pre date Doctor Who by over half a century! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Who has about the same Budget as Waking the Dead!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me, someone: what has Trevor Eve been in, recently? Anything notable? I remember him in Shoestring, but that was quite a while ago...

in fairness he has had a pretty decent career...even if i don't think much of his comments here. Waking the Dead has been quite a long running and successful show for the last 10 years, even if it's gone off the boil the last couple of years (I think the next series is the last one).
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    the oddest thing about it is he seems to think Sherlock is some kind of Doctor Who spin off, when the origins of that pre date Doctor Who by over half a century! :confused:

How much of all this is down to paper s**t-stirring though? Did he really say all that I wonder? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    What an old misery guts!
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Isn't it:confused::D. I'm joking of course. It is strange, maybe he has been misquoted, or he got his nickers in a twist, or he is just jealous because it's been successful compared to his shouty character in Waking the dead (I stopped watching that, because I couldn't stand his character anymore). Who knows:sleep::sleep:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Also Who has about the same Budget as Waking the Dead!!!!

yes he seems to fundamentally misunderstand how the budget for shows is set doesn't he? The idea that Doctor Who gets a massive budget perhaps is because it looks like it does due to the miracles the production team perform every year....
  • Options
    GalifreyGalifrey Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    He would probably change his mind if he was offered a part on the show.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    It's amazing how everyone is lining up to take a pop at Doctor Who lately. First Stephen Fry, now Trevor Eve. That's a result of a jealously due to a programme doing really well I think. :rolleyes:

Fry did not take a pop at Doctor Who. I do not think he is jealous. I do not think everyone is lining up to take a pop either.

To the OP: Trevor Eve wants to be the BBC's drill instructor .
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people want to moan then they should complain about The Deep. Small fortune spent on cast no doubt, terrible script, wooden acting, far fetched plots and more plot holes and story changes than you can mention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galifrey wrote: »
    He would probably change his mind if he was offered a part on the show.

i think the chances of that happening now are fairly remote....;)
  • Options
    nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While I haven't seen it, I think Waking the Dead seems have received quite a bit of attention, and has proved popular.

It seems like a pretty reasonable frustration to me, assuming he doesn't have a lot of time for the show. Perhaps he sees shows that he cares about under threat, or unlikely even to be commissioned, while at the same time there are several Doctor Who related shows being produced? (Not that I'm complaining, I hasten to add!) ;)

nyingy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people want to moan then they should complain about The Deep. Small fortune spent on cast no doubt, terrible script, wooden acting, far fetched plots and more plot holes and story changes than you can mention.

The first three episodes I found to be pretty good, however by the fourth and final one they got worse and worse.
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The irony here is that in a recent disclosure of TV actors pay at the BBC, Eve was the best paid actor by the Corporation, so what he can complain about I just don't know...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't agree with all of that, especially the "wooden acting". The Deep was as slow as a snail, admittedly, but the acting was absolutely first rate, probably the main reason why so many people stayed with it over the whole run. While it left no particular lasting impression in my mind, it was an enjoyable few hours of TV and alot better than the mindless junk usually offered to us. I think it's easy to criticise things because they're not as good as we would like, when it's a heck of a lot better than it could have been.
  • Options
    saturns ringssaturns rings Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Waking the Dead has been quite a long running and successful show for the last 10 years, even if it's gone off the boil the last couple of years (I think the next series is the last one).

THAT explains it!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Watching the Dead is one of the Beeb's top programmes, and very long running, he also stars in the new ITV drama Bouquet of Barbed Wire which began yesterday. So, to give him his due there, he's a pretty well-used actor on Tv these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't agree with all of that, especially the "wooden acting". The Deep was as slow as a snail, admittedly, but the acting was absolutely first rate, probably the main reason why so many people stayed with it over the whole run. While it left no particular lasting impression in my mind, it was an enjoyable few hours of TV and alot better than the mindless junk usually offered to us. I think it's easy to criticise things because they're not as good as we would like, when it's a heck of a lot better than it could have been.

I fianlly finished catching up on the Deep....I aplluad the BBC for trying some thing different...although it was nothing much in the end....It started off well enough....by the middel it got a bit boring, and the end was a bit...hmmm....oh well, It gave me something to watch....
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Fry was misinterpreted. He compared Who to a chicken nugget - i.e, something kids and adults both like to eat at times. I like chicken nuggets! Of course, I don't eat them as often as I did when I was a kid, likewise I don't watch as much children's telly as I did back then. However, I do still watch some children's programmes, because there are some I still find entertaining at my still relatively young age.

Trevor Eve probably just doesn't like Doctor Who, or Sherlock, and therefore each mention of it in a magazine is magnified. Like an itch turning into a bigger itch when you find out you have an itch.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Aye. And "Vexed" was pretty dreadful as well-a shame since it
    had two leads who've done good work elsewhere. :(
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who's success has resulted in more BBC drama.

Sherlock isn't a spin off, but probably got made because Doctor Who's proven the audience is there.

The man's an idiot. Ignore him.
  • Options
    INSOMNIA56INSOMNIA56 Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye. And "Vexed" was pretty dreadful as well-a shame since it
    had two leads who've done good work elsewhere. :(

i loved that.