Laura Marling Appreciation Thread

mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,917
Forum Member
I bought both of her albums recently and I've been listening to them non-stop.

Anyone else a fan?

:)

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love her
    Been a fan since the start

Both albums are good.

I was glad when she got recognised at The Brits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darkness descends is my favourite song.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,917
    Forum Member
    At the moment Devil's Spoke & Old Stone are my favourite LM songs.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can take or leave Laura Marling . What do Laura's fans think of this track ?

Beans On Toast - I Fancy Laura Marling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JipxhR4WUac
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Since finding her first album last year, almost by accident, she's become my favourite female artist of the past five years, and perhaps ever - no small feat as the musicians I listen to are almost exclusively female!

I find it astonishing how she is able to write such beautiful lyrics and music at such a young age - I read that she wrote 'Failure' and a few more of her earlier songs at fifteen. Unbelievable.

'I Speak Because I Can' is probably my favourite LM song, although I found it dull and forgettable at first -- when I was fortunate enough to see her perform it live, it took on a whole new resonance with me, and now it's one of my top five songs of all time.

I can't wait to hear the new album next month - what do you all think of her new single?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love her voice :cool: Where's she from?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her voice :cool: Where's she from?

Hampshire
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hampshire

:cool: It's a nice county, wouldn't mind living there when I'm finished with my studies in Ireland. I just wondered 'cause I thought her voice sounded a bit Irish.
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving her new one, "Sophia" from "A Crature I Don't Know".:D Also love the title track itself!
    Forum Member
    I've been watching some performances on youtube.

I found this one of Cross Your Fingers, it's one of my favourite songs from Alas I Cannot Swim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of the two albums, her debut is my favourite. Both strong albums. Can't wait for album 3
    Forum Member
    Out of the two albums, her debut is my favourite. Both strong albums. Can't wait for album 3

I listened to AICS for the first time properly yesterday, it's a great album.

I'm looking forward to her 3rd album too. When is it due for release?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next month. 12th september. That's really soon.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    Love Laura Marling, got a cracking voice on her & a great songwriter.

Did you know she used to go out with the singer from Noah & The Whale, and was even used as backup vocals for some songs on the first album? :p
    Forum Member
    Love Laura Marling, got a cracking voice on her & a great songwriter.

Did you know she used to go out with the singer from Noah & The Whale, and was even used as backup vocals for some songs on the first album? :p

:) Didn't know that.

She was with Marcus Mumford for a long time, wasn't she? :) I know he contributed vocals to her albums.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    :) Didn't know that.

She was with Marcus Mumford for a long time, wasn't she? :) I know he contributed vocals to her albums.

Don't know if they went out, but they've close connections.

Sure the whole of "The First Days Of Spring" album is about Charlie's break-up with Laura, and they've both sort-of slagged each other off in songs (See Blackberry Stone & Slow Glass)
    Forum Member
    Don't know if they went out, but they've close connections.

Sure the whole of "The First Days Of Spring" album is about Charlie's break-up with Laura, and they've both sort-of slagged each other off in songs (See Blackberry Stone & Slow Glass)

I've never really listened to NATW, I might try and find some of their music on Grooveshark later on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Laura, Hope In The Air has to be my favourite from her but it's in close competition with Rambling Man.

Also, really liking Sophia and can't wait for A Creature I Don't Know!

Is she touring the UK later in the year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb singer/songwriter first saw her about 4- 5 years ago when she was about 16 years old, obvious then she was very talented.

Now dating Matt Horne from Gavin and Stacy (jammy git)
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I've never really listened to NATW, I might try and find some of their music on Grooveshark later on.

You can spot Marcus and Charlie in the "Ghosts" video at 0:48 doing back-up! :)
  • sterock85sterock85 Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Her songwriting is incredible. Melody and lyrics are as good as you can get. Her voice is brilliant and her guitar playing is equally as good.

I can't stop listening to her right now, And im really liking the little bits of the 3rd album i have heard..(Sophia, and live vids from Youtube)...
    Forum Member
    sterock85 wrote: »
    Her songwriting is incredible. Melody and lyrics are as good as you can get. Her voice is brilliant and her guitar playing is equally as good.

I can't stop listening to her right now, And im really liking the little bits of the 3rd album i have heard..(Sophia, and live vids from Youtube)...

Me neither. I only found her recently but I've been listening to her music ever since.
  • sterock85sterock85 Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I first listened to her in around 2008, but it's only over the last few months i have become a huge fan of her work....
    Forum Member
    Is New Romantic a bonus track or either of the albums or was it never included?...
    Forum Member
    Next month. 12th september. That's really soon.

Really? That is soon! Looking forward to hearing it.