BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

Comments

• Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    I see it's been moved back to a Sunday this year.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know last year was also held in december, but have they always had it at that month?

I'm sure I remember it being october/november before
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Tickets are on sale from tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in going - very steep at £50 + booking fee though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20104604

Not sure how BBC can justify that cost - sure you'd expect to pay something to cover costs of hiring the arena etc. but £50? :mad:

As a comparison the Strictly Come Dancing show at Wembley arena next Month costs £20 ticket but £18 of that is being donated to Children In Need so effectively it's charging £2 to cover costs. Why such a massive difference for Sports Personality? :confused:

Had seriously thought of going this year but no way at that price?

as per our twitter exchange, i did some digging and in 2010, they charged £40 at the LG in Birmingham, last year they didn't actually sell tickets to the public at all, only releasing a small number via public ballot.

I have a feeling the whole thing was scaled down last year now i remember it.

So I have mixed feelings, on one hand, what is effectively a £10 price rise in two years is quite a bit, but on the other hand, I'd prefer they charged £50 a ticket than not give people the chance to attend at all.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I know last year was also held in december, but have they always had it at that month?

I'm sure I remember it being october/november before

It's always been on a sunday in December (apart from last year when it was midweek).

Having it in October would be daft cos you could potentially miss key sports events e.g. when England won Rugby World Cup that was towards the end of November.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    I see it's been moved back to a Sunday this year.

Proper order. Think it was the 22nd, a thursday last year. Didn't feel the same for some reason
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    It's always been on a sunday in December (apart from last year when it was midweek).

Having it in October would be daft cos you could potentially miss key sports events e.g. when England won Rugby World Cup that was towards the end of November.

It used to be on Wednesdays (I think Tuesdays in some years) long ago. It's only been a Sunday show since 1982 as far as I know but a lot here were either probably not born or too young to remember
  • JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Vote result:
    Chris Hoy 283,630 votes
    Lewis Hamilton 163,864
    Rebecca Adlington 145,924
    Ben Ainslie 35,472
    Joe Calzaghe 34,077
    Andy Murray 19,415
    Nicole Cooke 18,256
    Christine Ohuruogu 7,677
    Bradley Wiggins 5,633
    Rebecca Romero 4,526

Chris Hoy did win by a landslide in 2008 though which shows their is a lot of support for cycling (and yes I know Scottish votes :p )

I think whether Hoy is nominated could influence Wiggins' result too.

I think Mo Farah will win though.

You think Hoy won by a landslide? Cavendish got 49% of the votes last year (second had 12%).

Cycling has a growing and avid fanbase to whom the Armstrong revelations would have come as no surprise. Some may suspect cycling still has a major doping problem but do they doubt Wiggins? It could work in his favour if he is seen as a clean rider winning in a sport riddled with cheats (not a view I share).

With so many high achievers from the Olympics and Paralympics I would have thought Wiggins and Murray stand out because they were a part of the Olympics success in addition to their landmark achievements.

I don't think Hoy and Trott (the other likely cycling nominations) will significantly impact on Wiggins' vote. Road fans will vote for Wiggins, track for Hoy or Trott. Fans of both will vote for Wiggins. Murray has no competition from his own sport and will clearly do well with the Scottish vote (along with Hoy). Elsewhere I can see the Olympics and Paralympics votes being split particularly between Farah and Ennis who I think will finish 3rd and 4th.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well Murray's not going to win it.
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

I don't know. This tournament doesn't mean anything to the general public.

Ironically the ones that took an interest in this (tennis fans) will be the ones voting Andy.

To the general public one thing for certain is rated higher than winning a TdF and that is a WImbledon Championships. For that reason Andy will have to be content with second I think

Remember the voting is done on the night. The tears on centre court, gold medal will be shown and a massive deal will be made of first grand slam winner since about a million years ago :D These will help bring back memories for voters. This tournament will be well over and forgotten about by the night
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    #

I think his fans will forgive him losing to Federer though.

Not sure if it would affect the result that much.less so that if he';d won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you think people are going to not vote for him based on him "only" reaching to the semi final of what is effectively a fairly hollow tournament dressed up as a big deal due to being held at the end of the season when most of the players are knackered rather than for him for winning a grand slam and olympic gold medal? :confused:

Murray's rating at SPOTY will be decided by the events between Wimbledon and the US Open and quite rightly so.

It's like deciding Mo Farah isn't worth a vote based on some of his patchy early season form at the start of the year.....

With that said i don't think he WILL win, but not because of what he didn't win this past week, just because it's been such an immense year for sport that he will likely have to settle for a top 3 place this year when practically any other year he would have walked it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as Murray's fans would like to see him win, I think it's between Wiggins, Ellis and Weir.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as Murray's fans would like to see him win, I think it's between Wiggins, Ellis and Weir.

Ellis? :confused:

And I think Mo Farah has an excellent chance. Much as I think Weir is great, he isn't a likely winner at all. He should make the shortlist though.
    Forum Member

No notion.

Muttley sums it up perfectly.

Also, as I already said the night's montage will show Murray winning a Grand Slam and it will emphasize the 76 years and all that craic, which will bring back massive memories. He'll get a huge vote, a damn lot more than the bookies expect I think.

Farah will get a huge vote too.

I still think Wiggins will win yes because of the TdF. If Murray won Wimbledon it was sewn up.

Wiggins- Murray- Farah in that order. And that would be the deserving top 3 aswell no question although the order will no doubt be debated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Yes, for me it's still definitely one of the 3 that have been favourite for a long time for the win : Wiggins, Murray and Farah. Jess Ennis could just maybe split them,, but I really can't see anyone else being in the top 3.

Andy might have been helped a little if he had won the WTF at the O2, but only very much at the margins and I doubt will suffer much at all. His story will be of the Winbledon riunners up spot, then the Olympics title at the same venue and finally that ellusive Slam, the US Open triumph, with much of the general public being barely aware of the WTF.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »

Wiggins- Murray- Farah in that order. And that would be the deserving top 3 aswell no question although the order will no doubt be debated.
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Yes, for me it's still definitely one of the 3 that have been favourite for a long time for the win : Wiggins, Murray and Farah. Jess Ennis could just maybe split them,, but I really can't see anyone else being in the top 3.

Agree with you both on the likely top 3, though I'm not convinced Wiggins has it stitched up, I do think Farah has a big shout.

Also agree Ennis has an outside chance of nicking a place in the top 3.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I see Wiggins is odds on to win this already. What a travesty that would be - he doesn't have a personality!!?
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said on the telly this morning that they're announcing the 12 nominations on the One Show tonight at 7 oclock
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say there were 7 that are shoe-ins for the shortlist - Farah, Ennis, Wiggo, Hoy, Murray, Weir & Ainslie. Other 5 will be other olympians & paralympians or possibly Rory McIlroy.

So ahead of tonight's announcement I will stick with the above 7 as certs to be shortlisted.

I think the other 5 should be Storey, Trott, Rutherford, Kenny & Ali Brownlee.

It wouldn't surprise me if the panel went for Ellie Simmonds rather than Sarah Storey though & I suspect that Rory McIlroy will also be nominated.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that they will want to show that other sports not involved with the Olympics or Paralympics, can be nominated, so perhaps a few people will get nominated from those areas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that they will want to show that other sports not involved with the Olympics or Paralympics, can be nominated, so perhaps a few people will get nominated from those areas.

I disagree - I think they'll be fine with it being dominated by the stars of London 2012. Other than McIlroy I personally struggle to think who else would deserve to get in amongst them on merit though I think it's fair to say also that Murray & Wiggin's biggest achievement lay outside the Olympics
  • griffpaulgriffpaul Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like Stephen Hendry to get the Lifetime Achievement award.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm rooting for Laura Trott, Mo Farrah and Nicola Adams
    (With Murray and Wiggins and David Weir up there for me)

Jessica Ennis is over rated imo

BEN AINSLE FOR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT!
    Forum Member
    It's like this :)

Wiggins, Murray, Farah, Ennis ( eventual top 3 will come from these 4 )

Weir, Simmonds, Storey, Ainslie, Hoy, Trott, Grainger, and McIlroy
    Forum Member
    bazellis wrote: »
    I see Wiggins is odds on to win this already. What a travesty that would be - he doesn't have a personality!!?

We've been here so many times, it's not really personality as in jolly good chap to sit round the pub with and have a laugh with, but well known and well regarded high achievers from the year.

Look at many past winners ;)