BBC Breakfast - Annoying Background Studio Noise

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just me?
I find the background noise picked up by the studio microphones in the BBC Breakfast Salfords set so annoying.

Noise hard to describe but a bit like the sound of a gas leak.

If you are listening to the program in a noisy environment you may not have noticed it but it always goes away when they cut to the weather or local news or an outside broadcast.

I have tried to make contact with them but with no response or the technicians reported no problems in a given broadcast.

No other BBC News program has such a sound issue and in the old days a banner would be displayed to apologise for the sound fault.

Automan.

Comments

• DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, never heard it. I would call a plumber in if I were you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    That's the inane chat with guests.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed there is a background hum - almost as if they are near to a busy road.

I do have hearing problems though in that I filter some frequencies more than others - I can barely hear the headlines when they are reading them thanks to those drums they insist on playing at the same time.

Thankfully Sky nor Al Jazeera resort to playing loud sound effects over the speech so I rarely need to watch BBC.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    I think it's the hum from the electric fence that keeps the Northerners at bay :D
  • welshkidwelshkid Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I have noticed there is a background hum - almost as if they are near to a busy road.

I do have hearing problems though in that I filter some frequencies more than others - I can barely hear the headlines when they are reading them thanks to those drums they insist on playing at the same time.

Thankfully Sky nor Al Jazeera resort to playing loud sound effects over the speech so I rarely need to watch BBC.

Slightly confused...both Sky and Al Jazeera have headline beds playing during their top of the hour sequences. BBC Breakfast do not use the infamous BBC News music with the drum beats for their headlines.

Back on topic though - There is a mechanical hum noise on Breakfast (low studio roof perhaps??), although it isn't that distracting. It is most noticeable when they cross to the new weather studio and it is so quiet.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    I think it's the hum from the electric fence that keeps the Northerners at bay :D

How did the Business reporter get in then? She's as northern as they come!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The noise really gets to me and I can only now take a few minutes of the program before I have to watch / listen to something else.

Their new studio should have near perfect sound as it was built to be a TV Studio and the BBC used to stand for quality in all aspects of broadcasting.
  • JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a long time, any sports programmes from Salford (MOTD, Football Focus) had an annoying whine in the background - it sounded like a car alarm going off outside. After several months I decided they weren't going to fix it themselves, so I submitted a formal complaint via the website. II didn't get a reply (apart from the acknowledgement of the complaint), but after a few weeks the whine did go away, so maybe my complaint had an effect.

I don't normally watch Breakfast via my 5.1 system, but I've got it on today and I haven't noticed anything too amiss yet. I will watch BBC North West news programmes later as they come from the same studio as Breakfast.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    The noise really gets to me and I can only now take a few minutes of the program before I have to watch / listen to something else.

Their new studio should have near perfect sound as it was built to be a TV Studio and the BBC used to stand for quality in all aspects of broadcasting.

I watch BBC Breakfast news and I dont get this issue? I watch BBC Breakfast on BBC1 HD on Sky (except my local opts), I wonder if the issue exists elsewhere in the transmission chain?
  • JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to my previous post - just gone to a guest in the studio and it sounds like a lorry on tick-over in the background!

I do notice how low the ceiling is in the studio so I wouldn't be surprised if the air con is being picked up. There does also seem to be quite a high hiss level for a brand new studio.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I watch BBC Breakfast news and I dont get this issue? I watch BBC Breakfast on BBC1 HD on Sky (except my local opts), I wonder if the issue exists elsewhere in the transmission chain?

Same here.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Further to my previous post - just gone to a guest in the studio and it sounds like a lorry on tick-over in the background!

I do notice how low the ceiling is in the studio so I wouldn't be surprised if the air con is being picked up. There does also seem to be quite a high hiss level for a brand new studio.

I would have thought that there would always be some low-level background noise, but only audible if you have the volume cranked up or have your ears close to the TV speakers.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanDS wrote: »

The studio has been in use for over a year now so hardly ''brand new.'' Can't say I've noticed this myself.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably some dodgy lead somewhere! ;)
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't noticed it!:confused: