Options

Hottest Easter Ever

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
The ENTIRE country will bake in the fiercest April temperatures for years out-scorching Spain, Greece and even North Africa, according to some forecasts.

Early long-range models show a freak set of conditions due to come into play at the start of next month will trigger the long-awaited heatwave.

Thermometers are expected to tip the 80F mark in time for Easter which is on course to beat the historic scorchers of 1984 and 2011.

An unusually wavy jet stream will drag swathes of scorching air in from the Continent while high pressure will see Britain bask in blue skies and sunshine.

The sizzling prediction ties in with suggestions this summer is on course to be a super-scorcher putting even The Great Heatwave of 1906 in the shade.

Blistering heat lasted a week and with the mercury rocketing past 90F for four days it is considered the severest of the 20th century.

Experts say things will start to heat up in just a few weeks thanks to the “wildly deviating” jet stream and warmer ocean temperatures in the Pacific.

It will come as a relief to many as Britain wraps up for another cold spell with sub-zero temperatures and even snow forecast over the coming days.

The sudden chill is down to ‘Polar Continental’ air about to sweep across the country from Siberia.

A similar weather pattern triggered an exceptionally cold snap during the winter of 2010 when temperatures dropped to -21.3C in Scotland.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/564196/Weather-forecast-Easter-Hottest-ever-temperatures-rise-heatwave

This has come from the Daily Express so we had better stock up on Wellingtons and Umbrellas for Easter then.

Comments

• Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I think the Daily Express is deliberately trying to destroy what little it has left of its reputation.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well who knows, they have to get it right eventually surely. I'm still waiting on the coldest winter in record, or indeed the hottest summer ever of last year.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Madden does the winter headlines then it's over to Piers Corbyn for the stupid summer ones!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will see what it is like when it comes.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New it was gonna be The Express. Brace for a cold snap :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once one see a Daily Express headline quoted on this forum, three words spring to mind they are "pinch" "of" "salt". Has this paper ANY credibility left.

True on few occasions they have predicted these weather anomalies correctly, but this was rather luck than judgement.

The other favourite front-page headlines in the DE are those of medical cures, for all ailments from diabetes to cancer, hopefully one day in the not too distant future these medical cures could be true.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netweather:

Rest of the month
    Monday 30th March - Tuesday 7th April
    This period is likely to be cooler than average, with lowest pressure moving towards Scandinavia and bringing chilly north-westerly winds for the British Isles, with Britain generally sandwiched between the Scandinavian low and a stronger-than-normal Azores High. Sunshine totals are generally not expected to vary far from normal, but south-western Britain is likely to be sunnier than average due to being closest to the Azores High. Temperatures will mostly be 1 to 2C below the 1981-2010 average in Scotland and north-eastern England, and 0 to 1C below elsewhere. Some short-lived snowfalls are possible in Scotland and northern England in association with colder north to north-westerly incursions interspersed with milder west to north-westerlies.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it about the Daily Express and their fantasy world of long range weather forecasting. This is the UK, a tiny set of islands in the Atlantic Ocean. We're lucky to get accurate forecasts 3 days in advance let alone a month!
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm.They can hardly get today's weather correct,never mind three weeks in advance.

Would be nice though!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Nathan Rao should apologise to the people of Vanuatu for not providing a long range weather forecast or maybe he did.
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably happen in Scotland and bits of England only I think.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I will believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always assume it will snow at Easter. Its certainly more common than snow at Christmas
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now it's not often I defend the Daily Express here but I think quite afew of the rags were reporting this a week ago, maybe not on the scale DE is saying but they still think it's going to be a warm Easter and then April and May will be very warm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Now it's not often I defend the Daily Express here but I think quite afew of the rags were reporting this a week ago, maybe not on the scale DE is saying but they still think it's going to be a warm Easter and then April and May will be very warm.

Thank you Michael Fish :p
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Thank you Michael Fish :p

:p you're welcome :kitty:
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that every time there's a thread about unusual weather on the way it can be predicted with 100% certainty before even opening it that it's a story from the Daily Express and can be safely disregarded.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously would people STOP reading the Daily Express weather forecast and believing it. How gullible are you OP. It's total bollox and we should ALL know that now.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the current extended outlook from the Met Office

Does not sound like a heatwave incoming to me
    ---
    K Outlook for Saturday 21 Mar 2015 to Monday 30 Mar 2015:
    Rather cloudy across southern/western parts on Saturday with light rain at first. Otherwise, many areas will be fine, albeit with light showers in the east. Rain will arrive across northwestern parts later Saturday, before spreading southeastwards Sunday. However, there is uncertainty with regard to its progress and so southeastern parts may remain dry. Into the following week, there is an increasing likelihood of more unsettled weather as winds turn to the west/northwest and therefore bring frontal systems, and thus spells rain, in from the Atlantic. These spells of rain, perhaps with strong winds in the north occasionally, will be interspersed by drier, brighter periods with, for some, showers; these wintry over hills during colder interludes. Temperatures then probably a little below average during showery weather and otherwise close to average.

UK Outlook for Tuesday 31 Mar 2015 to Tuesday 14 Apr 2015:
    A changeable period is expected, with unsettled conditions interspersed with some fine spells of weather. The current indication is that the westerly, or northwesterly pattern developing next week persists allowing showers, or longer spells of rain to affect the UK at times. Northwestern parts are then likely to see the most frequent bouts of unsettled weather. There will be some fine periods too, the best and most prolonged of these likely across the south and east although all areas are likely to see some sunshine at times. There is also likely to be a wide range in temperatures, with some pleasantly warm days, especially in the south and east, but also some cold nights, with a continued risk of local frosts.
    ---
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I will continue to rely on my own weather forecast , that entails looking out of the window.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I think I will continue to rely on my own weather forecast , that entails looking out of the window.

I'm going to be pedantic! :o That's not a forecast.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to be pedantic! :o That's not a forecast.

Well it forecasts what I decide to wear that day :D
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Any weather forecast longer than 5 days is pretty much worthless.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Express' extreme weather obsession is so niche it's almost quaint.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

In that case, they're all talking nonsense. You simply cannot, accurately forecast the weather in a month's time. You can best-guess. You can use historic data to give an idea of what could happen. You could give a vague indication of what the weather might do.

But you cannot forecast accurately more than a forecast in advance.