Options

Classic/Iconic/Art films you think are rubbish

Comments

• Options
    MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    It is ridiculous, adolescent, pseudo-philosphical rubbish and the directors should be shot with balls of their own overrated sh1t!

I'd pay to see that....in bullet time.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    MartinJ wrote: »
    I'd pay to see that....in bullet time.

:):):)
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't I edit a post I made less than hour ago?
    I believe that the limit set by the mods is about 30 minutes, which seems fair enough to me. Otherwise you would have people editing their posts to neutralise the accurate and totally irrefutable criticism that they have been subjected to for the past 24 hours. :)
  • Options
    Lord OchuLord Ochu Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    2001 Space Odyssey

Agreed. A boring, monotonous, piece of crap. Although oddly enough I seem to be a fan of films which are described in the same words by others but to me 2001 was still rubbish.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Lord Ochu wrote: »
    Agreed. A boring, monotonous, piece of crap. Although oddly enough I seem to be a fan of films which are described in the same words by others but to me 2001 was still rubbish.

2001 is interesting. I usually reckon I can judge a film by the first five minutes. However the first five/ten? minutes of 2001 is the only bit worth watching.
  • Options
    SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I believe that the limit set by the mods is about 30 minutes, which seems fair enough to me. Otherwise you would have people editing their posts to neutralise the accurate and totally irrefutable criticism that they have been subjected to for the past 24 hours. :)

Understandable, but sucks a bit at the same time especially if I happen to notice a glaring typo some days later. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Are you studying film at uni or film school?

Uni.

Watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly the other day and I didn't really rate that either.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are shocked when I say I don't like Dirty Dancing.

(if that fits into the criteria)

Right there with you I just don't get the attraction - can't stand Patrick Swayze either and yep hated Ghost too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was forced to watch "room with a view" once as it had got an Oscar or two and so therefore my wannabe pretentious pillock of a boyfriend decided that it was a fantastic film.

I hated it - and him, he bit the dust!

Surely it's ll subjective anyway, my favourite film is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and no-one can tell me I'm wrong in that, as it's my personal taste

I disagree with this. City Of God is a better film than anything Jennifer Lopez has been in. This is a fact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    I'll add Performance (starring Mick Jagger) to my list. Crap, worthless bit of film. For some reason just looking at it made me want to vomit! They made some truly idiotic films back in the 60s.

i had to watch this as part of my Film Studies course. we were doing British film in the 60s. we saw this along with A Hard Day's Night and If. I can see the point of the film, but that's only through having to study it closely...however, it's not a film i would choose to watch, if i had a choice. Nor is If A Hard Day's Night was the best of the bunch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where Peter Griffin says he can't be doing with The Godfather then proceeds to wax lyrical about The Money Pit. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from the comedians thread. Are there any of these films you think are utter rubbish?

Here are the ones that come to mind that I'm supposed to watch in awe:

2001 Space Odyssey

If

Dr Strangelove

The Third Man

Easy Rider

Woody Allen - any of his.

The Italian Job (Michael Caine original)

All excellent films. Watch them in awe.
    Apart from a few Woody Allen ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Matrix
    Taxi Driver
    Benjamin Button - don't get me started.
    The Thin Red Line (not sure if it qualifies, but it's quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cards on the table time

I'm a film student and I don't like Citizen Kane.

You haven't been educated very well then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midiboy wrote: »
    I've only seen "A Zed & Two Noughts" and "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", which I didn't think was quite as bad (but maybe I have selective amnesia :D).

I have avoided his other films...

I love everything Greenaway did up to but not including Prospero's Books - didn't like that one and haven't seen any since. Not that I've been deliberately avoiding them.
    The 3 classics are Draughtsman's Contract, A Zed and Two Noughts, and The Cook etc.

BTW OP, what's the point of this thread? Is it to start arguments? :D
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of recent releases, Benjamin Button left me cold, although I think a major factor was Brad Pitt.

I saw the Shawshank Redemption today and I thought it was good, but how it's number 1 on the IMDb Top 250 baffles me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Following on from the comedians thread. Are there any of these films you think are utter rubbish?

Here are the ones that come to mind that I'm supposed to watch in awe:

2001 Space Odyssey

If

Dr Strangelove

The Third Man

Easy Rider

Woody Allen - any of his.

The Italian Job (Michael Caine original)

Am definitely with you on Dr Strangelove.

And while I fear being shot... I had no rave reviews about The Godfather... any part. Just didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And while I fear being shot... I had no rave reviews about The Godfather... any part. Just didn't do it for me.

How do you feel about The Money Pit? ;)
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hate, hate, hate A Bout De Souffle yet everyone always raves and raves because it was the first of the New Wave French films. I thought it was boring, but jean Seburg (sp?) was rather sweet.

I felt the same way about 'Brick'... Boring and pretentious teen film noir.

Agree on both of these... A Bout De Souffle made me angry. Its so dull....and pointless and pretentious and I just hate it to be honest, and I will never understand the love.

Brick is okay but so overrated and just because the lead is less of a tw*t than the rest of the characters doesn't mean we should like him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Clockwork Orange
    Eyes Wide Shut
    American Beauty
    Monsters Ball
    Lord Of The Rings
  • Options
    alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying my very best at the moment to watch some of the classic films listed in this thread.
    Did not 'get' The Third Man or Citizen Kane - sorry but they left me cold.
    Just watched Grapes of Wrath today and loved that.
    I SO want to send this thread to someone I know - only thinks art house or low budget films are great - full of pretension when it comes to Hollywood - makes me so angry!
    Gone with the Wind is my fav film of all time - can't believe people don't love it - horses for courses I guess!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanic, Shakespeare In Love and Chicago
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Englist patient- dull, cant engage with the characters.
    Apocalypse Now- NEVER got this one. Highly overrated IMO. Brando irritates me in this- the old ham!
    Seveth Seal- pretentious shite! For posers only.
    Forrest Gump- cheesy and horrendously jingoistic.
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - cloyingly self indulgent
    House of Flying Daggers - too boring
    Lost In Translation - unneccessarily over-subtle
    Fast and Furious - over the top machismo
    Ace Ventura - just crap

.... Just the top five of many...

D
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=ductur;31590422]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - cloyingly self indulgent
    House of Flying Daggers - too boring

Lost In Translation - unneccessarily over-subtle
    Fast and Furious - over the top machismo
    Ace Ventura - just crap

.... Just the top five of many...

D[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Eternal Sunshine is my favourite film ever, and House of Flying Daggers is in my top 15 of foreign-language films.

Although I agree with all of your others. Everything about Ace Ventura makes me cringe.