Dannii - 'Not qualified to judge because she can't sing'

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lydian wrote: »
    " Dannii - 'Not qualified to judge because she can't sing' "

Rubbish.

Was Tim Henman's coach a great tennis player?
    Was Alex Ferguson an outstanding footballer?
    Was Mohammed Ali's trainer a great boxer?

Infact, you can argue that the best managers/trainers/mentors (i.e. able to judge performance) arent the best actual performers because they lack objectivity. You just need to be able to recognise good performance and direct accordingly.

Ability to perform and coach/judge are NOT related.

Oooooh very good point Lydian....I like you :D
  • RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What we should get is actual Judges to Judge, that would make everyone happy.

"I say! You there! You were flat and your dancing's rubbish. What say you?"

"Yes, m'lud."

And why are actual Judges judging in court - none of them have been criminals
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RichN95 wrote: »
    And why are actual Judges judging in court - none of them have been criminals

Love it! (and the M'Lud comment)

Cheryl is the least 'life' experienced of the lot and it shows at times. Dannii comes across are very balanced (generally) and sure of her own opinion. Cheryl, like Alesha Dixon, relies on supportive commentary from the panel member to her left.

I still wish they would bring back people like Pete Waterman, Nicki Chapman and Dr Fox! But especially Pete Waterman who was the original Simon Cowell before Cowell became Waterman (if you follow).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    You really do have weird posts. How is Cheryl a massive recording artist. That's what you call someone like Madonna or Britney Spears. Without her being a judge her album wouldnt of sold as much. Girls Aloud were just very lucky.

Spot on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who has more experience than Kylie yes, try again plus you're hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

As time goes by we all begin to realise that Mr Blonde is there only to wind everyone up.
    Just totally ignore anything he says. He is, in fact, A very boring person.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, let's run this one down.

Simon Cowell - A millionaire because of the shows he has created, not because of the artists he has produced. In fact the artists he has produced are for the most part shit. Sinitta, Zig & Zagg and Robson & Jerome are shit. The only successful artists he has produced are Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke, who are so good even a novice could have made them successful. He's also the man who championed Same Difference and was absolutely convinced that they's appeal to the tween market even though they were well into their twenties. He dismissed Kelly Clarkson and Will Young, who became successful AFTER they got away from the CLUTCHES of Simon Cowell.

So please can we finally cut the bullshit? Simon Cowell knows **** ALL about music, and is a millionaire because of the circuses he has produced on TV. Dannii Minogue is just as entitled to be a judge as Cowell.

Louis Walsh, knows one style of music and one only. Cheesey ass boybands. Try and get him to make something that breaks that mould successful and he's a disaster. He failed Samantha Mumba. He failed Shayne Ward. He was torn into by his own girlband Girls Aloud who claimed they made it IN SPITE of having Louis Walsh as their manager.

Finally we have Cheryl who I don't really have anything against, other than the fact that she is a bland judge who gives bland advice and who is totally schooled by Dannii Minogue every Saturday night.

So please don't give me shit about Dannii Minogue somehow not being deserving of being on that judging panel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lydian wrote: »
    Love it! (and the M'Lud comment)

Cheryl is the least 'life' experienced of the lot and it shows at times. Dannii comes across are very balanced (generally) and sure of her own opinion. Cheryl, like Alesha Dixon, relies on supportive commentary from the panel member to her left.

I still wish they would bring back people like Pete Waterman, Nicki Chapman and Dr Fox! But especially Pete Waterman who was the original Simon Cowell before Cowell became Waterman (if you follow).

Well I think Louis is OK because he has had experience in the business.

Danni has improved so much during this series that I really really look forward to hearing her comments on all the acts. I really trust her and value her opinion. It makes the show so much more exciting. She is always constructive and honest, even if what she is saying is, perhaps, hard to take.
    She just tells the truth and I love her for it. So I would say definitely keep Danni.

Cheryl? I didn't mind last year. I realised that she was new to all of this so, I|quite liked her.
    However, this year is very different. I'm not sure exactly where it has all gone wrong. So, I will just say what I see and feel.
    Cheryl seems to be in this mostly to launch her solo career. Performing her first single on the most popular show in the country, seems the best place to start. Plus, having the most influential man in the business (Simon Cowell) backing you seems to be a pretty good idea. Even more so if you don't sing that well. No! I don't really rate her as a judge or a mentor at all. Especially not a mentor!

So, last but not least, Simon. Well, we have to keep Simon. We wouldn't be on this forum without him now would we. Plus, if Cheryl has absconded somewhere persuing her American dream career, he wil be the Simon we love to hate. But mostly love.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Gotham wrote: »

Finally we have Cheryl who I don't really have anything against, other than the fact that she is a bland judge who gives bland advice and who is totally schooled by Dannii Minogue every Saturday night.

So please don't give me shit about Dannii Minogue somehow not being deserving of being on that judging panel.

Thank you Gotham, some posters on this thread have been irritating as i was reading through but thank god you and some others speak absolute sense!

Dannii is just as entitled to be a judge and those calling her to be axed are just plain spiteful. She has caused no disrespect to anyone and has given justified and constructive criticisms to all the contestants. I did not see her comments as rude on Saturday, in fact i was surprised some people took it the wrong way.

Nic.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. I've said this a million times before on this board. You don't have to be a good singer to be able to spot talent the same way nobody expects Roger Federer's coach to win Wimbledon.

It's true you don't have to be a good singer to be able to judge and coach others.
    But Dannii really does have a great voice. :)
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger Federer's coach wins Wimbledon almost every year...he coaches himself...so that must mean Dannii Minogue needs to be the number one singer in the world...
    Forum Member
    Apologies for being way off topic but i'd like to clarify who is roger federer's coach and has he ever competed at Wimbledon?

Also playing devil's advocate to Mr Blonde's point if Dannii needs to be number one singer in the world to be a judge, what about Cheryl, Simon or Louis?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shannisfan wrote: »
    Apologies for being way off topic but i'd like to clarify who is roger federer's coach and has he ever competed at Wimbledon?

Also playing devil's advocate to Mr Blonde's point if Dannii needs to be number one singer in the world to be a judge, what about Cheryl, Simon or Louis?!

What has a number one got to do with being talented?
    Is crazy frog a Pavarotti extremely talented because it went to no 1?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to be a singer to judge whether someone can sing or not ,you just listen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree...you don't need to be a great singer to be a judge...or even a singer...but you do need to be successful in the music industry...unfortunately Dannii doesn't fit the bill...
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    What has a number one got to do with being talented?
    Is crazy frog a Pavarotti extremely talented because it went to no 1?

That is precisely the point i was trying to make in response to Mr Blonde's statement. Crazy Frog was dire! It was the tweenagers/teens buying this music i'm sure. that track was aweful.

Edit: message amended
    Forum Member
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    I agree...you don't need to be a great singer to be a judge...or even a singer...but you do need to be successful in the music industry...unfortunately Dannii doesn't fit the bill...

In what way exactly?! Perhaps she was picked by the producers/Simon to be a judge because she was level headed and could give constructive criticisms about a contestants singing.

Be interested to know why she was picked to be a judge on the X Factor, what qualities the producers thought she could bring to the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think Dannii was chosen to be a judge based on looks and the fact she is Kylie's sister...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way exactly?! Perhaps she was picked by the producers/Simon to be a judge because she was level headed and could give constructive criticisms about a contestants singing.

Be interested to know why she was picked to be a judge on the X Factor, what qualities the producers thought she could bring to the show.

Simon actually spoke about this when she was hired.
    All the ITV producers may have gone for the tiring sister thing, Simon said he picked her because she knows the business, having been in it since she was a child.

He actually approached her in 2005 already saying he wanted to make her a TV star. And then she got AGT in Oz to start with which he was impressed with which lead to XF which has proven to be hit. :)
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    Personally I think Dannii was chosen to be a judge based on looks and the fact she is Kylie's sister...

Ahhh . So you think Danni is pretty :)
    Forum Member
    Ok that's your opinion and i accept but we won't know for sure why she was picked. I'd like to think she got her job on her own merit and not because she's Kylie Minogue's sister.

Perhaps it was her ability to give good constructive criticisms (which seeing what she has said on the x factor - i believe she can) or your point Mr Blonde it was looks and Kylie's relation that got her the job. I don't think we will ever know for sure.
    Forum Member
    Simon actually spoke about this when she was hired.
    All the ITV producers may have gone for the tiring sister thing, Simon said he picked her because she knows the business, having been in it since she was a child.

He actually approached her in 2005 already saying he wanted to make her a TV star. And then she got AGT in Oz to start with which he was impressed with which lead to XF which has proven to be hit. :)

Oh thank you for that marianner. I do remember now Simon mentioning something along those lines when Dannii joined.

Thank you for clearing that up.:)

Nic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what Simon said on the press luanch 2007
    “she’s been a singer, she’s been in the theatre and on TV — she was great on Australia’s Got Talent — she has a wealth of experience that she brings to the show.”

He also said he prefers Dannii of the Minogues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thank you for that marianner. I do remember now Simon mentioning something along those lines when Dannii joined.

Thank you for clearing that up.:)

Nic.

you're welcome :)
    I don't think she expects Simon Cowell to fix everything for her. He opened doors and I think that no matter where she goes next, I'm sure she'll do something that's just as great as she is on XF.
    Forum Member
    you're welcome :)
    I don't think she expects Simon Cowell to fix everything for her. He opened doors and I think that no matter where she goes next, I'm sure she'll do something that's just as great as she is on XF.

I hope so inspite of what critics say she has good qualities so that she can continue on in the industry.

Nic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so inspite of what critics say she has good qualities so that she can continue on in the industry.

Nic.

She does. I agree with that :)