Options

How can I get Virgin to give me a

Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Samsung V+HD box?

I'm sick of this clunky one going blocky and freezing.

*note virgin insist I just keep pressing reset, which works but then a few hours/a day later... same issue.

Comments

• Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Just tell them your old box is broken and an engineer
    will come to give you a new one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tell them your old box is broken and an engineer
    will come to give you a new one

tried that twice, just keep telllin me to reset.

Can I buy it as a 2nd VHD box? = "we can't guarantee it'll be a samsung"

If it's not a Samsung can I refuse it? = "no, your an existing customer and there's no pre-agreement on specific hardware".

I'm gonna go to sky = "well that is your decision."

I'm peeved at them, I pay an average bill of £130 per month, that's VIP and some extras.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Joshua was saying was to tell them that the reset doesn't work and that the box is dead ?
  • Options
    mhoobag1mhoobag1 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    tried that twice, just keep telllin me to reset.

Can I buy it as a 2nd VHD box? = "we can't guarantee it'll be a samsung"

If it's not a Samsung can I refuse it? = "no, your an existing customer and there's no pre-agreement on specific hardware".

I'm gonna go to sky = "well that is your decision."

I'm peeved at them, I pay an average bill of £130 per month, that's VIP and some extras.

I think a quick call to cancellations is in order. They will sort a new box for you. If you get a Samsung one is another matter. I requested a SA box and had none on the van, I wanted it because of the extra connections on the box.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mhoobag1 wrote: »
    I think a quick call to cancellations is in order. They will sort a new box for you. If you get a Samsung one is another matter. I requested a SA box and had none on the van, I wanted it because of the extra connections on the box.

Same here. I use the audio out connections on my SA so wouldn't want a Samsung.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh I'd like any box that's reliable compared to this.

gonna call up again tomorrow, used reset 3 times today so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update!

Got an engineer out, checks cable, reboots box... box works. No fault found.

Explains about reboot fixing box for a few hours, demonstrates blocky recordings etc. "I can't see fault so I cannot justify replacing this box".

I'm about ready to 'spit the dummy out' and head back to Sky.

(Sky giving £50 M&S vouchers too which is sweet.)

It's 5 good years out of 6 Virgin!
  • Options
    mhoobag1mhoobag1 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Update!

Got an engineer out, checks cable, reboots box... box works. No fault found.

Explains about reboot fixing box for a few hours, demonstrates blocky recordings etc. "I can't see fault so I cannot justify replacing this box".

I'm about ready to 'spit the dummy out' and head back to Sky.

(Sky giving £50 M&S vouchers too which is sweet.)

It's 5 good years out of 6 Virgin!

Unscrew it and pull the hard-drive cable out a little (oops I didn't say that :eek:). Naughty naughty damaging equipment.

Or ring retentions and leave, Im sure they will sling a replacement box your way.
  • Options
    davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Dear all,

I have been having similar issues with the SA Box, Slow Epg, Slow channel Change, Missing Epg, and non Response when pressing the remote.

I can almost pin it down to the last lot of HD channels coming online about 2 or so months ago, when flicking through the channels as soon as you come to a HD channel it slows and then catches up 5 to 10 seconds later - this also happend's when i flicking the Epg (not changing channels) when it displays the Epg - and not - No information avalible.

I just think the SA boxes are just capable holding the current amount of HD channels let alone the next lot to follow.

I have also noticed that some times it records the same channel programme twice at the same time using both tuners how it does that i don't know there is no option to the user to record the same thing at the same time.

Does anyone else have similar issues to the ones listed above.

I;m just about to jack in the cable and go with Freeview & Freesat.

Just so fed up with this huge box of Cr#p they have installed.

best regards

david
  • Options
    hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are having constant problems phone Virgin .
    They will replace the box although whether you get another SA one is unknown.

If you are genuine about cancelling Virgin and switching to Freeview/Freesat go through to the cancellations department and they should be able to guarantee you a Samsung box in order to keep you as a customer.

Normally they would offer discounts so ensuring a Samsung when they need to replace the box anyway should be easy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are having constant problems phone Virgin .
    They will replace the box although whether you get another SA one is unknown.

If you are genuine about cancelling Virgin and switching to Freeview/Freesat go through to the cancellations department and they should be able to guarantee you a Samsung box in order to keep you as a customer.

Normally they would offer discounts so ensuring a Samsung when they need to replace the box anyway should be easy

Exept virgin cannot gaurantee a samsung to anyone as they have no idea what each remote site has in stock on that day. There may be no samsungs at all in that area.

It's just luck of the draw what the installer has on his van on that day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davetech is describing what we've suffered and a bit more for longer.

I'm sorry I haven't updated this thread but here goes:

Thursday I called up Virgin...

"I'd like to have V+ taken out and my package reduced to the basics"

Sir, can I ask why you wish to do this?

"Well, I'm sure your records show the months of problems we've had with the V+ and then your uncooperative engineer refusing to replace the box because he couldn't see the fault there and then is the final straw. I plan to get sky installed."

Right sir we can move you down to £30 for the basics...

(I interrupt)

"You know this can be avoided by replacing this piece of junk box, that's all I wanted, I'm sick of it being buggy, slow and crashy. I just want decent TV if I pay you or sky doesn't matter to me"

Sir before I make these changes I'm going to transfer you to get this resolved.

Lady comes on phone and I explain all the issues.

The engineer shouldn't have refused you the replacement, I'll make a request now for another engineer to call and swap your current box for a Samsung, if that's ok?

Result is a different engineer called this morning and installed a Samsung and boy are they the dawg's danglies!!!

Everything is instant and so smooth and I'm still on the top package!