Abcess woes!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Fatty Matty has been somewhat off colur for a day or two and stop eating , as his name suggests, this is very unusual .. i had a vet nurse friend round last night to check him over and he's got an abcess in the cheek/side of head area - i feel ashamed i didnt notice it before she came but i suppose now its obvious i know what to do! She's coming today to take him to her vets to sort him out, i'm assuming it will cost a bit of money - has anyone had their cat treated for this could give me a ball park figure? I didnt want to ask her as i didnt want to come across as a tightwad :o i know, i know but i'm proud! I've limited funds this month and am hoping it won't go over £100?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not sure if you can see this but i've attached a picture thats on my fbook

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=14655005&fbid=10150260730820251&id=606670250
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The picture doesn't work...

Hopefully it will need nothing more than antibiotics and a good clean when it pops, and that won't be expensive. If the vet thinks he needs to anesthatise your cat to lance it and clean it out it could cost more than £100, depends how expensive your vet is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • jarwynjarwyn Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi. Sorry to hear about your cat. Our Ginger Tom had a similar lump on the right side of his throat.

We only noticed because he started 'drooling'. We took him to the vets next day and they gave him a shot of antibiotics (£40).

A couple of days later we went back and they said they needed to do a biopsy (£140). So we took him in for that.

Took him back a couple of weeks later, another shot of Antibiotics (£40), some other oral product (£10) and stitches removal (free).

We have to take him back in 2 weeks, then make a decision about doing another biopsy (because the first one was 'inconclusive') which according to the vets notes that I read over his shoulder would be at 50% cost (so £70).

In our case, we have a dilemma because although they think it could be an abscess, they said it could be tumor and if so removing it via an operation would be 'extremely difficult' due to the proximity of arteries and nerve fibres and in the vets words "we may do more harm than good". So we are really hoping the antibiotics do the trick ...

I hope that helps you with an idea of prices (we are insured so hopefully will get refunded but it's the least of our concerns right now) and I really hope your cat gets better soon .
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    My cats get absesses on a regular basis.

Only once did the procedure have to be done under anaesthetic. Generally the vet just draws the gunk out with a syringe, gives it a squeeze and a sloosh, then gives an antibiotic jab. So just the cost of the consult, plus the antibiotics. A jab is more expensive than tablets but I go for the jab every time if possible - who wants to medicate a cat with sore bits twice a day!