Options

Going to the cinema by yourself...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I think DS should sticky this thread because the "taboo" of going to the cinema on your own seems to crop up every week.

There's plenty of reasons you might go on your own. Your friends might not want to see the same film as you. You might work different hours to your friends etc. Or it may be that you just genuinely prefer going on your own.

If I hadn't have gone to the cinema by myself then I wouldn't have seen half the films that I've seen.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not something i have ever done or am likely to do.

some films i just wait to come out on blu ray/dvd if cant get anyone to come cinema
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    No problem at all. When I lived alone, I used to go to the cinema on my own once or twice a week - never thought anything of it. Concerts too sometimes.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    This. I always go alone now and one of the benefits is the freedom to go if it's a shitty movie. However, if the movie is great it's always good to have someone to laugh with.

I'm lucky because a friend who I occasionally go with tends to have similar tastes in shitty films and we've often walked out of films.

The last one was "Now You See Me". I turned to him at one point and said "do you want to go?" and he said "i'm glad you said that.." and off we went :)
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the years I have gone to the cinema by myself on many occasions. On a Tuesday I'd sometimes see a matinee while the kids were at school as a treat for myself and then pick them up from school on the way home (cinema was ten mins from the school). Often there'd be a lot of pensioners there too as Tuesdays were cheap.

One thing I really hated was taking my seat in an almost empty cinema and someone else came in and despite having a choice of 180 empty seats they sit in the same row as me, or just behind me or just in front. I mean....why :confused:
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frequently, but outside sales or preview screenings? Rarely.

Most times I turned up and a familiar face was there. S/he would beck me over to sit next to her/him. I sometimes refused because I wasn't always in the mood to sit next to their brightly-lit tablet, netbook, phone or paper pad with a stick light, which they use to make notes during a screening.
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    What about going to a nice restaurant by yourself? Book a table for one? :blush:

I do as I usually travel alone. More likely at a hotel restaurant than a restaurant somewhere, though.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was in my first job, I would finish work early on a Friday afternoon, go home for a quick wash, then drive straight to the cinema to see a new film (by myself). Then on the Sunday, I'd go and see another film with some friends. That was from 1988 to sometime in the late '90s. Good times, looking back. I've been plenty of times on my own since then.

Certainly doesn't bother me going alone. I always liked a close to deserted as possible cinema. The nearest I got was when I went to see 'Downfall'. I was at the front, as usual, and there were two other people at the back, and that was it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I go on my own all the time. I like to think it makes me look sophistipated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often went by myself when I used to write film reviews for the school newspaper. Though that was mostly because the type of films I went to see wouldn't have interested my friends at all.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went before on my own to watch Prometheus. I will be going on my own again to see RoboCop next month. Mainly because the friends I have that like going to the cinema aren't into sci-fi so it's go alone or don't go at all.

I didn't find it awkward at all. As someone who watches films and TV shows at night alone regularly, I'm used to my own company, and at times, prefer it!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly go on my own. My wife can't stand anything SF / fantasy / comic book, and my friends will see some of the same films as me but not all.

I just don't really see going to the cinema as a social experience. You're sitting there for 2 hours not talking, what does it matter if you're sitting next to someone you know or not?

If a cinema trip is part of something else, with drinks/dinner planned before/after then fair enough.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    What about going to a nice restaurant by yourself? Book a table for one? :blush:
    LostFool wrote: »
    I travel a lot for work on my own so often have to eat alone. However, I'd tend to go to a hotel restaurant, pub or bar rather than a "nice restaurant" as solo eaters are much more common. The alternatives are starve or just eat junk food.

Quite. It's not something I'd do for fun, but dining solo doesn't worry me. I always used to take a book to read in the gaps while I was waiting for the food to arrive. Nowadays we have all sorts of electronic entertainments to fiddle with :D

I often used to find myself in this situation in France, and I found other diners there were generally very courteous. They would greet you as they sat down at the next table instead of staring at you :blush: I once had a very pleasant chat with a chap sitting alone at the next table. He was waiting for a business colleague. When the second chap arrived, he apologised for sitting with his back to me! And when I asked for my bill, the waiter brought me a "digestif" courtesy of the two gentlemen.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often used to find myself in this situation in France, and I found other diners there were generally very courteous. They would greet you as they sat down at the next table instead of staring at you :blush: I once had a very pleasant chat with a chap sitting alone at the next table. He was waiting for a business colleague. When the second chap arrived, he apologised for sitting with his back to me! And when I asked for my bill, the waiter brought me a "digestif" courtesy of the two gentlemen.

Oh, come on - you're hot aren't you? I don't recall French people being that polite!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Oh, come on - you're hot aren't you? I don't recall French people being that polite!

:D Not really! I was passably attractive in my day :cry:

It may have helped that I spoke French, although not fluently and with an accent that made it obvious that I was foreign. I've always found that French people appreciate you making the effort.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I think DS should sticky this thread because the "taboo" of going to the cinema on your own seems to crop up every week.

There's plenty of reasons you might go on your own. Your friends might not want to see the same film as you. You might work different hours to your friends etc. Or it may be that you just genuinely prefer going on your own.

If I hadn't have gone to the cinema by myself then I wouldn't have seen half the films that I've seen.

It does, doesn't it?

What I've never understood is why is it only the cinema that some people seem so insecure about? We never get threads about going to pubs, restaurants, coffee shops, the theatre, art galleries, museums etc on your own. What is it about the flicks, I wonder?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know why there would be any stigma attached to this. If only more people did it so you wouldn't have groups of noisy morons ruining the film for everyone else.
    You're there to watch the film! Not chat away. Its not actually a very social pursuit. Some films are great with friends. I remember going to see Blair Witch and Mulholland Drive in a group and we had a great chat afterwards. But at the same time its fine on your own. I remember going to see The Avengers on my own. I had a random afternoon off work. Mid week. Got some food. Had a couple of beers. And it was just me and one other couple in the main screen at the Vue. No queues. No one on their phones. No chatting. It was like my own private screening. Fantastic! Did the same for Prometheus and The Amazing Spiderman.

Contrast that to my viewing of The Dark Knight Rises on opening night with a few friends. Massive queue. Obnoxious audience members. Arguing over seats. Horrid.

A quiet midweek cinema is a haven!
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why there would be any stigma attached to this. If only more people did it so you wouldn't have groups of noisy morons ruining the film for everyone else.
    You're there to watch the film! Not chat away. Its not actually a very social pursuit. Some films are great with friends. I remember going to see Blair Witch and Mulholland Drive in a group and we had a great chat afterwards. But at the same time its fine on your own. I remember going to see The Avengers on my own. I had a random afternoon off work. Mid week. Got some food. Had a couple of beers. And it was just me and one other couple in the main screen at the Vue. No queues. No one on their phones. No chatting. It was like my own private screening. Fantastic! Did the same for Prometheus and The Amazing Spiderman.

Contrast that to my viewing of The Dark Knight Rises on opening night with a few friends. Massive queue. Obnoxious audience members. Arguing over seats. Horrid.

A quiet midweek cinema is a haven!

I saw Dark Knight Rises alone and it was my favourite cinema experience. It was quite packed but the audience were older and generally pleasant, great atmosphere. Sorry it wasn't the same for you.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been by myself. I would feel really awkward if I walked into a packed cinema alone. Especially if I had to sit next to a group :blush:

Me and my friend were once the only 2 people at a screening though. It was a Drew Barrymore movie.
  • Options
    BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go by myself all the time I don't care what others thinks!. Plus hate going with people just in case they are bad movie goers (cellphone on.....) and I don't want to be embarrassed :o I don't mind going with mum and dad. But mostly it easier to organize myself than another.
    so yeah Love going by myself! :)
  • Options
    BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB - True me too:)
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    To me it's no different then going shopping alone or visiting a Museum on your own, which loads of people do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're there to watch the film! Not chat away. Its not actually a very social pursuit.

Although it's nice to discuss it with someone afterwards ;-)

I agree with you about going to afternoon showings. I remember once going with a neighbour to see a film we were both interested in, and he was surprised when I suggested going to the late afternoon one. It was nice and quiet as you say, and afterwards we went for a pizza or a curry or something, and there was still time for a pint in the local. What a good idea, he said. He had always gone to evening film showings - it had never entered his head to go earlier.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I have an Cineworld Unlimited Card and I've been going to the cinema on my own for many years.I go once a week usually either Saturday or Sunday morning to the first screening of the day as they tend to be quietest!

I don't have a problem going in my own but lots of people find it strange when I say I do it.However I do have a few friends who also have the Unlimited Cards who go their own to cinema as its hard to meet up to go together every week but we do make the effort for the latest blockbuster!

I have also had a cinema to myself on a few times over the years and it's the best experience.However it's annoying when you are the only one in a screening but then someone else walks in!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »

I have also had a cinema to myself on a few times over the years and it's the best experience.However it's annoying when you are the only one in a screening but then someone else walks in!

It's only ever happened to me once. A couple did walk in and sit down but then left again before the film started.

That experience spoilt me though because I'm always disappointed when I have to share the cinema with other people now! :D
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never get why going to a cinema should be a social thing anyway. You're sitting in a dark room not talking to anyone for a couple of hours watching a film.

But for some reason society deems you sad or a loser if you go alone. I have gone to the cinema alone a couple of times and admit I did find it awkward, but I do have a problem with worrying what other people think of me (know I shouldn't)