Richard Attenborough dead

Comments

• fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    RIP Richard and sadly missed.

He was superb in many films but I would recommend Brighton Rock as one of his best.

My respects to his his family.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just turned a film off and seen the news, very sad to hear this.
    RIP
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful actor...another legend of the acting role lost....RIP Richard, you brought joy to a lot of people xx
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw the news via Twitter and I feel sad. Another great talent who will be much missed. The remake of Miracle On 34th Street has long been a holiday staple in my house and he WAS father Christmas! And I still remember the pure magic of seeing the first Jurrassic Park in the cinema, and his moving performance in that film.

RIP :(
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP

A talented and lovely man.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such sad news, you thought he'd go on forever. After James Garner that's two giants we have lost.

Only two from The Great Escape remaining now.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP to a legend. 90 is a great age and it was certainly a well lived life.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Rather patronising headline from the BBC News website: 'Film's Richard Attenborough dies'. Did they really think we wouldn't know who he was without the explanation of 'Film's ...'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Rather patronising headline from the BBC News website: 'Film's Richard Attenborough dies'. Did they really think we wouldn't know who he was without the explanation of 'Film's ...'?

If you take offense at something like that, how do you get out of bed in the morning?
  • steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    RIP to one of British films greatest talents, both as actor, director & luvvie. My thoughts are with all his family. Such a loss.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute Legend
    Brighton Rock is one of my favorite films

RIP Sir
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An actor of the highest quality, and by all accounts a very nice man.

Sleep tight Sir Richard.
  • HissyMissyHissyMissy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Very, very sad to hear this news. By all accounts a fine human being. Condolences to his family and friends. Shall be digging out some DVD's and old videos and watching in tribute. I think I shall watch The Sand Pebbles and The Angry Silence in particular. I don't have Gandhi, but do have Shadowlands, so shall be watching that as well.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member
    For once that over hyped word "Legend" is certainly deserved when mentioning Richard Attenborough. I first saw him when he convincingly played a cockney schoolboy in The Guinea Pig in 1948, and he was already 25.

He was such a versatile actor, from the evil Pinkie on Brighton Rock, to the mouthy Regimental Sergeant Major in Guns at Batasi, which won him a well deserved BAFTA for the Best Actor of 1964.

I never had the pleasure of working with him when I was a Film Extra, but I heard from others who had, and they said that he was such a lovely man. and he always referred to them as "Ladies and Gentlemen".

RIP Sir Richard
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad to hear the news of his passing.

Some people say that Mr Attenborough was never the same since his daughter & granddaughter died tragically in the Christmas Day Tsunami almost 10 years ago.

May he rest in peace.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1: Brighton rock
    2: great escape
    3: Jurassic park
    4: 10 rillington place
    5: seance on a wet afternoon
    6: miricale on 42nd street
    7: the. Leauge on gentlemen
    8: the little Indians
    9: a bridge to far
    10: guns at batasi

Also.....

Ghandi (directed)

Matter of life and death (cameo)
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the young presenter on Sky News last night clearly didnt have a clue who he was....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow i had genuine sadness, thought it was that narrator guy from documentaries(David)

Rip to Richard though , he was a good actor in the films i saw him in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Interesting that the young presenter on Sky News last night clearly didnt have a clue who he was....

Does it really matter? Not everyone is interested in the same films, people. Richard Attenborough was very famous but I can see how some younger people will not be familiar with his work. It's nothing to judge them for is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1: Brighton rock
    2: great escape
    3: Jurassic park
    4: 10 rillington place
    5: seance on a wet afternoon
    6: miricale on 42nd street
    7: the. Leauge on gentlemen
    8: the little Indians
    9: a bridge to far
    10: guns at batasi

Also.....

Ghandi (directed)

Matter of life and death (cameo)

You've just reminded me of three brilliant (and not so often seen) films he was in. He was really creepy in 10 Rillington Place, and apparently Grahame Greene didn't agree with him being cast as Pinky in Brighton Rock as he didn't think he would be evil enough. That was until Greene saw the rushes, and pronounced that Attenborough was brilliant.

My uncle knew him quite well having worked with him on a number of Dickie's films. I know he (my uncle) will be very sad to hear this news, and it's a great loss to the film industry. Happy memories of an excellent actor.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great age, farewell Dickie xxx
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll remember him in the film version of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Deamcoat - he played Jacob.

Grew up watching that on video and how have the DVD - my favourite musical of all time and he will be remembered by me for being part of it.

Rest in peace Sir.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    wow i had genuine sadness, thought it was that narrator guy from documentaries(David)

Rip to Richard though , he was a good actor in the films i saw him in

Well, they are brothers!

Yep, sad day. R.I.P., Richard. :(
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but I feel I have to say it.
    The media are calling him 'a true giant of the screen', 'a legend of cinema' etc, but was he really?
    Yes, he was evil personified in Brighton Rock, but he then spent the next ten years playing snivelling cowards or wet-behind the ears sailors. Mostly bland character parts. Was his name ever 'above the title' or even at the top of the cast list? I can't ever recall saying 'oh, there's a Richard Attenborough film on this afternoon'.
    I'd say he was good and dependable in films like 'The League of Gentlemen', The Great Escape etc, but was he really a legend?
    He had a respected directorial career with Oh What a Lovely War and Ghandi, but does this mean he's a legend?
    Please don't think I'm trolling. I liked him and most of the films he was in. He was by all accounts a really nice bloke and lived his life without attracting any of the usual accusations etc. It's a real shame he's gone and my thoughts are with his family. RIP.

EDIT. A poster above has reminded me of one of his best films - 10 Rillington Place. He was superb in that.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A solid character actor and never a major star.

As for his directorial career: Ghandi was one of those lavish blockbusters whose subject matter virtually "guaranteed" Oscar success.

He had a good career and a nice long life so he can't complain.