Trivial things about movies that annoy you

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned but people gulping down scotch without a screwed up face in sight.
    Oh, I can do that. But then it is my tipple of choice. ;-)

btw - best drinking face in film? Joan Cusack sipping a beer in School of Rock.
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a couple is fighting constantly and then one of them cheats, soon after that you get a scene where the couple have a touching moment making the one who cheated feeling very guilty.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably been mentioned but people gulping down scotch without a screwed up face in sight.

One of my favourite scenes is in 'The Great Escape' where Big X, the SBO and MacDonald drink the American hooch, with the first two doing the screwed up face, but the Scotsman swigging it back with no problem.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    One of my favourite scenes is in 'The Great Escape' where Big X, the SBO and MacDonald drink the American hooch, with the first two doing the screwed up face, but the Scotsman swigging it back with no problem.

Heh, yes, should have been the other way around, Gordon Jackson should have spit it out, yelling "WTF is this pish?"
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a scene in wolf creek 2 where the villain is driving a huge truck and a load of kangaroos start playing chicken with the truck and yes it's a big truck but you'd expect a big kangaroo to at least smash the windscreen of the truck but the kangaroos end up worse off.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate how the once fairly decent actor Nicholas Cage will do any old rubbish just for a few quid. I watched Ghost Rider 2 last night and you could tell he knew it was rubbish and a little bit of his soul was dying with every poxy line he delivered.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    It's called 'exposition' and if done right can be intriguing and clever as opposed to patronising. 'Inception', for instance, is entirely an exposition piece.

Too often though you get actors reeling off large chunks of clunky dialogue, telling each other things their characters would both already know for the benefit of the audience. As a visual medium plot should be shown rather than told whenever possible.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I hate how the once fairly decent actor Nicholas Cage will do any old rubbish just for a few quid. I watched Ghost Rider 2 last night and you could tell he knew it was rubbish and a little bit of his soul was dying with every poxy line he delivered.
    I watched it last night and thought the same :D

I thought he was good in Kick Ass, especially they burning alive scene.
    His strange speech and style of acting suited the character and movie.

But even in this comic book movie his style just didn't fit, especially the part when interrogating the fight club manager.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horror movies, been done to death(pun intended) to much annoyance...so the female heroine is being chased by monster/maniac, she falls (GASP). Any normal person would be up in a second but no she takes as much time as it would take to pull out her phone and tweet to all of her friends that she's being chased and that she's just fallen over. Actually I think a falling over then tweeting scenario will be common place in new horror films from now on sigh....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    another horror film that always occurs is that the windows and curtains are open..windows open and blows the curtains..in winter too, why, and at bed time they lie there with windows open and have the curtain blow to scare us probably lol
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever made the mistake of not stopping some 20th Century Fox films before the end of the credits? You get treated to about half an hour of unskippable copyright notices in every language, alive or dead, on the entire planet.

"Well I did have every intention of running off a few thousand copies of this disc and selling them on. However, I started having second thoughts when the Hungarian warning came on and by the time they got to Amharic my plans to be a pirate DVD kingpin lay in tatters at my feet."

And also some foreign made DVDS which have the titles actors etc on the front of the DVD in English and the description of the film in another language on the back ! >:( ..I have a region 2 version of " Haunted " starring Kate Beckinsale Aiden Quinn like that in German on the back !...ill have to gen up on my German ! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booming bass.

I watched Blade Runner (2007) the other night and had to turn the amp down because the floor was shaking.

It was unwatchable with the normal sound settings so had to make a comprimise. If a film makes you do that then in my mind it's a problem at their end not mine.

Paticully when the music comes on !...your drifting off on the sofa and BANG !..awoken by the surround sound bass sonic boom . :) ..talk about scary ! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TATTOO62 wrote: »
    Coffee seems to be some sort of semi dangerous drug.

Dangerous is sitting through a hated 2 hour film ! at friends or family and trying to be sociable and smiling through it ! :) ...then trying to stay awake ! :)
  • WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but one thing that bugs me a bit in film/tv cop shows when anyone is arrested and they get put into a police car, nearly always a cop will push down on the top of their head to guide them into the car. I've seen suspects put into police cars in real life but I'm still waiting to see one have their head pushed down as they get into the car. :D
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one you tend to see more in old horror movies...but the completely random, and also often constant thunder and lightning never made sense to me even as a kid...weather, even extreme weather just never behaves like that, and to this day I have never seen or heard thunder and lightning behave in that way.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.

Wrong thread.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    This one you tend to see more in old horror movies...but the completely random, and also often constant thunder and lightning never made sense to me even as a kid...weather, even extreme weather just never behaves like that, and to this day I have never seen or heard thunder and lightning behave in that way.

And the thunder and lightning always coincides with some dramatic line of dialogue.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound effect used for any kind of rusty-hinged metal door being opened. The same sound effect was used in an opening scene in the Elder Scrolls : Oblivion game and now I notice it every time.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When characters don't lock their cars.

When characters hold or fire their guns sideways.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a guy is on his own in a bar and catches the eye of an attractive (sober) women, they smile and then it cuts to them in bed together. I want to see what the guy did to make that happen! I've literally never seen it done in real life.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    When characters don't lock their cars.

When characters hold or fire their guns sideways.

Also people firing a gun in each hand. In real life if they hit anything it would be a complete accident.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Constant flyover cuts of the cityscape for no other reason than they look cool. Also the constant need to subtitle where somewhere is, i.e a red bus full of beefeaters driving past Buckingham palace subtitled by London, England 9:00am.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a guy is on his own in a bar and catches the eye of an attractive (sober) women, they smile and then it cuts to them in bed together. I want to see what the guy did to make that happen! I've literally never seen it done in real life.

You've never pulled?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Characters stealing clothes/uniforms etc. which always fit.

Bionic arms which aren't ripped away when the character lifts a car or performs some other feat of strength.

Scientists who leave their lab coats open and flapping. It may look cool but no real scientist or technician would do it.

US hospital dramas where no one ever worries about how much it's all going to cost and the doctors just airily dismiss it when it's mentioned.

POV shots where the character sees thing upside down or sideways when they fall down. This doesn't happen.

Third person dreams in which the dreamer sees himself; you never have dreams in which you're not present as a subjective observer.

Superhero movies in which civvies are swapped for a uniform/costume with no time elapsing.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Films running longer than they need be....especially the Marvel superhero movies of late.