Options

Our Zoo coming soon to BBC1

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    What a great episode and loads of different emotions!

I know it is a true story but how do they pay for anything? There is no income coming in as none of them work so how do they afford to feed all the animals let alone themselves? I know I should not worry about such things :blush:

I think I need to read the book.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's was a vicar and the animosity shown toward the Mottersheads rings true according to one local historian writing in the Chester Chronicle.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    There's was a vicar and the animosity shown toward the Mottersheads rings true according to one local historian writing in the Chester Chronicle.

Phillip Campbell Moores character is certainly an enigma !...ive feeling hell come good !
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Phillip Campbell Moores character is certainly an enigma !...ive feeling hell come good !

Funny, when I was watching it earlier tonight, I was thinking, I wonder if the vile vicar will have a change of heart at some point. There was the odd moment he looked guilty in this episode for his campaign to get the village against them.

And he'll finally accept someone else living in the house he wants to live in!

I remember Lee saying in an interview how he didn't enjoy a scene where he had to have a snake round his neck. Must've been this episode he referred to! lol
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Who care as long as the snake didn't mind?
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoying this series and its portrayal of unashamed idealism.
    There is too much cynicism and satire on TV and this series is a refreshing antidote to all that.
    We need more shows like this one.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Blue Plaque is being erected in Sale Moor in honour of George Mottershead in a couple of weeks time, followed by a talk about his early life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'd say Our Zoo is currently my highlight of the week TV wise. Though I may be slightly biased as I work at the Zoo and I've met June on a couple of occasions and she is a really lovely woman :)
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    dan2491 wrote: »
    I'd say Our Zoo is currently my highlight of the week TV wise. Though I may be slightly biased as I work at the Zoo and I've met June on a couple of occasions and she is a really lovely woman :)

Mine too and I am a Downton fan! I wonder if June is happy with the production. All the main characters are so well portrayed and very likeable.
    I hope there are further series..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that Amazon have the book available from 9th October, not sure if it is a new edition of the original being re-released. Looks as if it has been timed to be as the series finishes

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Mine too and I am a Downton fan! I wonder if June is happy with the production. All the main characters are so well portrayed and very likeable.

As far as I'm aware she is, I haven't heard anything to the contrary!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Funny, when I was watching it earlier tonight, I was thinking, I wonder if the vile vicar will have a change of heart at some point. There was the odd moment he looked guilty in this episode for his campaign to get the village against them.

And he'll finally accept someone else living in the house he wants to live in!

I remember Lee saying in an interview how he didn't enjoy a scene where he had to have a snake round his neck. Must've been this episode he referred to! lol

The clue was how excited he was getting all dolled up going to the charity do until he got the phone call about the planning decision and how disspointed he was . then he donned his vicar attire and went to the charity event in a tottaly different mood !
  • Options
    Liz_WLiz_W Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Another brilliant episode of 'Our Zoo', in fact perhaps it's my favourite so far. Lots to keep me interested, entertained and glued to the screen.

With Adam the bear escaping, you realize the great risks that George Mottershead and his family must have indeed taken. It would have been incredibly stressful and a real struggle to keep the animals housed and fed while the zoo waited to open. I do wonder how they managed to even feed themselves. Perhaps June Mottershead's new book, 'Our Zoo' will reveal more about the real Mottershead family:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Zoo-June-Mottershead/dp/1472226356

Dishy but devious Reverend Webb (Stephen Campbell-Moore) and the vexing village store owner Camilla Radler, (Hayley Carmichael who deserves praise for her role) continue to threaten the future of the zoo by their underhand actions.

George's ingenuity is shown after a chance encounter with the eccentric rich widower Lady Daphne Goodwin (the fabulous Celia Imrie ), who takes a shine to June's squirrel monkey, Mortimer. George gets the idea for raising funds by trying to get the local gentry to sponsor his animals. Fascinating to watch, as it was a strategy that the real George Mottershead did indeed come up with and successfully pursued.

The fundraising benefit in Lady Katherine's Selbourne Hall is not without its surprises, shocks and revelations.

It was nice to see love is in the air for Uncle Billy (Ralph Little) and that although Mew does have Archie on her 'beck and call', she does care for him.

Really looking forward to episode 5....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see in the Daily Mail today in the proggramme pick of the day section there was a good picture of Liz White holding an exotic bird !...also the comment by the critic was made about why this great proggramme wasnt on a Sunday so even newspaper critics have picked up on this ..pity the deadheads at the BBC havent ! :) ..talking of Liz White she looks much better with her hair longer as in the Woman In Black The Crimson Petal and The White and In Wild Bill !..perhaps she feels at 34 shell get more coverage on TV and Films than with it longer !... She also had a small part in the film "Pride " but as usual she had very few lines in it !..
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I notice that Amazon have the book available from 9th October, not sure if it is a new edition of the original being re-released. Looks as if it has been timed to be as the series finishes

Reared in Chester Zoo - The Story of June Mottershead
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reared-Chester-Zoo-Story-Mottershead/dp/0955970202
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    What a toad that vicar is!
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.chesterzoo.org/global/about-us/our-zoo-bbc-drama/episode-guide/episode-6
    OUR ZOO: EPISODE 6
    6/6 Can the Mottersheads convince a visiting inspector to overturn the council ban on the zoo?

First broadcast 8 October 2014

The family’s last chance is to convince a visiting inspector from the Ministry of Health to overturn the council ban on a zoo at Oakfield. But when the nets of the aviary are slashed, George begins to lose his grip on the case – and his self-control. Lizzie is concerned he might throw their last chance away so reaches out for legal help, which comes at a cost. The high emotion of the hearing sees a hidden truth tumbling out for Reverend Webb, which helps tip the balance. An inspection of the zoo is held but the final decision could take weeks – can the family hang on and is there life after Oakfield?

Watch episode 6 on iPlayer:
    Coming soon...

Watch a clip:
    Coming soon...

Episode 6: Behind the scenes
    Coming soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at some trees on Ancestry last week, several show Mew having died in New Zealand but no date. I think it was 1956 that she was on a passenger list travelling there and seems to be intending permanent residence. She was single and a zoological supervisor (I think - from memory).
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    This is such a brilliant programme, love very minute of it. I really hope there is another series...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    What a toad that vicar is!

Looks as if it is going to finish with a strong finale next week leaving open for more series.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was on The One Show a few weeks ago and seemed genuinely thrilled with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know when or if the DVD for the first series is out ? and any information on the prospect of a 2nd series ?...again great episode ! i see Lizzie is worried about Georges flirting with The Manor Lady !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is such a brilliant programme, love very minute of it. I really hope there is another series...

TOTTALLY agree with that sentiment !...best drama on TV this year by a mile !..so .heartwarming and touching !