Options

Worst special effects (models and minatures, not CGI) in movies

Comments

• Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Yes ..and Earth versus Flying Saucers aswell ! :) ..paticullaly the dwarf alien spacemen in rubber silver suits ! :)
    Oi! >:(

If you mean Earth vs the Flying Saucers:

Firstly, Ray Harryhausen's animated ufos still have an eerie quality few could match.

Secondly, the aliens aren't dwarfs and are more dark metal in colour than silver. Rubber was probably involved mind.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi! >:(

If you mean Earth vs the Flying Saucers:

Firstly, Ray Harryhausen's animated ufos still have an eerie quality few could match.

Secondly, the aliens aren't dwarfs and are more dark metal in colour than silver. Rubber was probably involved mind.

Mind I LOVE all the 50s sci fi films ..including this one .. ..the dodgy special effects lends a sort of cultured ambience to the films ! ..and the ray gun scenes from the aliens and the space ships is quite advanced for the time !
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite his reputation as a genius of cinema, Hitchcock had some pretty ropey effects in his movies - Marnie in particular with poor back projection and dummy horses.

Psycho has this notorious shot when the detective is offed. But what was really incomprehensible was that when Gus Van Sant remade it in 1998, not only did he end up doing the scene with WORSE back-projection (despite William H. Macy volunteering to do an actual stunt himself), but he also added in unconvincing CGI blood marks and random bits of stock footage. See for yourself.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shh
    no one mention HIGHLANDER 2 THE RUBBISHING!!!

loads of dummies flying around
    including the one who paid to see it
    :D
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The scenes involving aircraft in Casablanca aren't great, not to mention the ropey back projection where Rick and Ilsa are 'driving' around Paris.

Still a great film, though.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind I LOVE all the 50s sci fi films ..including this one .. ..the dodgy special effects lends a sort of cultured ambience to the films ! ..and the ray gun scenes from the aliens and the space ships is quite advanced for the time !

Feh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcReykfvqi4 Maria's transformation, a scene from from Metropolis (1927).
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTTF 3 and the train just needed the fat controller to finish scene
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked that out on youtube...I assume you mean the tunnel sequence. Yep, that was pretty dire. Hmmm...back in the days when they were desperately trying to sell the late Lewis Collins as the next action hero/James Bond. No wonder the poor guy faded into obscurity.

Its a shame as he was really good and perfect for Bond imo
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Really done with minatures? I always wondered how they did the tunnel stunt. Gonna have to rewatch that haven't seen in it years..

Have you watched it yet? its deffo radio controlled cars
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    Psycho has this notorious shot when the detective is offed. But what was really incomprehensible was that when Gus Van Sant remade it in 1998, not only did he end up doing the scene with WORSE back-projection (despite William H. Macy volunteering to do an actual stunt himself), but he also added in unconvincing CGI blood marks and random bits of stock footage. See for yourself.

I never knew that you could create youtube links that started at a specific point in the video.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The death of Dick Jones in RoboCop is astoundingly bad. It's like the actor suddenly becomes a Wallace & Gromit claymation figure.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtOWNw--azY#t=1m13s

Haha yes, I never understood why they decided to do that shot that way. Wouldn't it be easier to have the actor on his back against a green screen?

Similarly, the way The Joker dies in Tim Burton's Batman. He suddenly turns into a badly drawn cartoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Battle Of Britain 1969 the multible plane scenes were obviously superimposed as they didnt have hundreds of aircraft availible !...and lots of wooden Spifires blown up on the ground aswell ! ...great film though !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Devil Rides Out...in the scene where Chrissy Lee in in the car out the window you see trees going by but every now and again the same tree comes into view ..they are obviously using a revolving roller board with the car static in a studio !...:)
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like dodgy models and studio floor effects, what I really hate is obvious CGI cos there is so much of it about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I like dodgy models and studio floor effects, what I really hate is obvious CGI cos there is so much of it about.

TOTTALLY agree !...something sweet and timeless about the old films special effects ...all natural !
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    The Devil Rides Out...in the scene where Chrissy Lee in in the car out the window you see trees going by but every now and again the same tree comes into view ..they are obviously using a revolving roller board with the car static in a studio !...:)

If you want dodgy vehicular special effects there's a hilarious sequence in one of Dean Martin's Matt Helm movies with Dino astride a motorbike while some of the worst back-projection in history goes on behind him.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Me too. I used to make models and appreciate the time and effort that goes into them. Must be really heartbreaking for someone to spend weeks building a model only for the special effects guys to blow it up or for the director to film it badly.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. I used to make models and appreciate the time and effort that goes into them. Must be really heartbreaking for someone to spend weeks building a model only for the special effects guys to blow it up or for the director to film it badly.

I think it was Derek Meddings who said that blowing them up meant that you'd never have to set eyes on them again.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha yes, I never understood why they decided to do that shot that way. Wouldn't it be easier to have the actor on his back against a green screen?

Similarly, the way The Joker dies in Tim Burton's Batman. He suddenly turns into a badly drawn cartoon.

A former colleague of mine did the animation for this scene and said it was done that way because there was no time/money left to shoot it as live action.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    A former colleague of mine did the animation for this scene and said it was done that way because there was no time/money left to shoot it as live action.

when i saw it for the first time in the cinema i actually didn't even notice his face ..... probably because it was too dark :D
    saw it later ..... terrifying :o

good job
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    I think it was Derek Meddings who said that blowing them up meant that you'd never have to set eyes on them again.

Having done a lot of video and editing work in the past I can understand that! Meddings was a true master of miniature work - one of the many British special effects wizards who came from the Gerry Anderson stable.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like me, two Airfix Tiger tanks could be turned into a space ship with very little imagination! :) Myself a friend were inspired by Silent Running to make some quite elaborate scenes on a large table designed for an N gauge model railway. We didn't have a movie camera alas, so just a few stills recorded the action.

Derek Meddings as mentioned above had the job I always wanted.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade has some STUNNINGLY awful "special" effects. particularly the zoo animals on the train and the wooden boats being chopped up by the ships' propeller.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The snake-hair in The Gorgon. Barbara Shelley offered to wear a headdress of real live snakes, but they went instead with a pop up and down snake version of Whac-a-Mole.
  • Options
    James_Walker2James_Walker2 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Sinbad and Jason and The Argonaughts movies. They might've looked ok in the 70's but the those monsters look dreadful now. lol