Why are there so many ginger people in Eastenders?

Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
Forum Member
I haven't watched Eastenders for years, but I saw a little the other day and every character I saw was ginger. Bianca, her two kids, some ginger guy and his ginger son. And Ian Beale. There's even a ginger dog.

Am I the only person to notice this? I’ve nothing against ginger people, of course. It just seems very disproportionate considering how uncommon ginger hair actually is (especially in London where the vast majority of people seem to have dark hair).

Comments

• hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they did it on purpose or anything.

And why is this in the TV section? It will probably get moved.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    And why is this in the TV section? It will probably get moved.
    It’s about a TV show isn’t it? Where would you have posted this thread?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    It’s about a TV show isn’t it? Where would you have posted this thread?

I would have said it's more suited to Soaps...
    Forum Member
    Oops… sorry, I never knew there was a dedicated soaps forum. I don’t really watch soaps.

In this case, I hope someone will move this thread!
  • Ms ScarlettMs Scarlett Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Before it's moved....it's because they are all, with the exception of Ian & the dog, farrmmilleeeeeeeee
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops… sorry, I never knew there was a dedicated soaps forum. I don’t really watch soaps.

In this case, I hope someone will move this thread!

Don't worry the mods will move it sometime
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched Eastenders for years, but I saw a little the other day and every character I saw was ginger. Bianca, her two kids, some ginger guy and his ginger son. And Ian Beale. There's even a ginger dog.

Am I the only person to notice this? I’ve nothing against ginger people, of course. It just seems very disproportionate considering how uncommon ginger hair actually is (especially in London where the vast majority of people seem to have dark hair).

:eek: Better not let my ginger son see this thread...he says there's discrimination against gingers everywhere!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minus the dog and Ian, they are all related. This is why.

Max Ginger is Bradley Ginger's dad. Max Ginger is also Bianca's Ginger's uncle. Bianca Ginger is Tiffani Ginger's mother. See? :D
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Not uncommon for family to have the same hair colour, really...
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are also cast like Stacey and Whitney who obviously have ginger hair in real life but dye it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are also cast like Stacey and Whitney who obviously have ginger hair in real life but dye it.

You're kidding, right?
  • suez_channelsuez_channel Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    They could have an all ginger episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Maybe Chris Evans could pop into the Vic for a pint with Charles Kennedy and Geri Halliwell (I'd PAY to see that :D)

Meanwhile at the other end of the bar Charlie Dimmock is seen arguing with Prince Harry over whether Stacey dies her hair
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    gingervitis is rife in the square.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    :eek: Better not let my ginger son see this thread...he says there's discrimination against gingers everywhere!;)

Well if he's looking to get into acting, you know which direction to point him towards. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minus the dog and Ian, they are all related. This is why.

Max Ginger is Bradley Ginger's dad. Max Ginger is also Bianca's Ginger's uncle. Bianca Ginger is Tiffani Ginger's mother. See? :D

Ian is related to Bianca isn't he? David Wickes, Bianca's father, is his half brother.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the show is full of whingers?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member

I think it comes from the fact that they're all Brannings (except Ian).
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    The question is, why do people just notice the ginger hair? There are far more blondes (natural or not) in EE as there are brunettes.

Blondes

Peggy
    Pat
    Roxie
    Ronnie
    Danielle
    Gary
    Mo

Gingers

Max
    Bradley
    Bianca
    Tiff
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian is ginge?? :eek: How did I not notice this before?! :D

Most of the characters mentioned who are ginger are related anyway, so I expect it was deliberate casting, i.e. Max and his son Bradley; Bianca and her daughter Tiffany, etc.
    Forum Member
    If they’re mostly all related, that makes perfect sense, and it’s a clever bit of casting, emphasising the family connection.

I just tuned in and saw a load of what I call “gingereds” (pronounced: jin-juds), and it seemed funny.
  • mumofmitzymumofmitzy Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have an all ginger episode.
    Eating ginger cake and biscuits whilst drinking ginger beer!