Options

Netbook advice please.

Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am considering getting a netbook for work. I would prefer one with Windows XP as I have the disc. All I would need it for is word processing, storing some photos, internet browsing and possibly adding autocad onto it. I realise that I would need an external dvd drive to put the discs on with, so advice on which would be good too. I am not looking for an expensive machine or dvd drive. I just want something small and portable. Most of my work would be typing notes and sending emails. I don't download music or videos. I have had a look in Currys/PC world today and the ones they have are:
Packard Bell Dot S2
Samsung N130
Emachines EM350
Compaq CQ10-101.

To me, they all seem to be the same, so I don't know which would suit my needs best. The reviews for all of them seem to be quite good. Any advice would be appreciated on which, or an alternative and external dvd.

Comments

• Options
    CroftCroft Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are all pretty much the same spec try ebay and get a samsung nc10 . It's an old model which would do everything you need with a good build quality and good keyboard for a netbook .Upgrade the memory to 2gb and it will run windows 7 like a dream , or check out a second hand advent 4213 pretty much the same spec but with built in 3g so you can go online anywhere , the keyboard is totally flat though so not as easy to use but for around £100 not a bad buy ;)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New netbooks will come pre-installed with Window 7 starter edition unless its old stock.

Personally I have a 2gb HP Mini 210 and more then happy with it.

I think you might be struggling to run autocad on it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    New netbooks will come pre-installed with Window 7 starter edition unless its old stock.

Personally I have a 2gb HP Mini 210 and more then happy with it.

I think you might be struggling to run autocad on it though.

Thanks for the info on autocad. It isn't absolutely necessary as I can do the drawings on my other laptop and paste them into word documents (They don't need to be accurate). The only reason I don't want Windows 7 is that I already have a disc for XP and one for Vista. I can't see the point in keeping changing. When I get a new main laptop I will get Windows 7, but that won't be for a while yet.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I know it can be annoying when people offer unwanted opinions so I apologise in advance but have you thought about a "proper" laptop instead?

I recently picked up a Dell Latitude X1 off ebay for £125.
    It's a tiny laptop with an 11" screen and was bundled with an external DVD RW and a couple of spare batteries. Not bad for £125!

Anyway, failing that, a mate recently bought a Samsung N130 and I was really, really impressed with it. It seemed to be streets ahead of the Asus EEE jobbies in terms of construction quality and ergonomics.

A bunch of guys I work with all bought EEEPCs and I found them to be fiddly, clumsy and, basically, a total PITA to work with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info on autocad. It isn't absolutely necessary as I can do the drawings on my other laptop and paste them into word documents (They don't need to be accurate). The only reason I don't want Windows 7 is that I already have a disc for XP and one for Vista. I can't see the point in keeping changing. When I get a new main laptop I will get Windows 7, but that won't be for a while yet.

Any new laptop you buy is going to come with an operating system and very few come with Linux so the CD you have already is unlikely to save you any money. Also if your CD is OEM then you can't use it on another machine anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HI

Are netbooks ok for storing music? and can you install word on them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any new laptop you buy is going to come with an operating system and very few come with Linux so the CD you have already is unlikely to save you any money. Also if your CD is OEM then you can't use it on another machine anyway.

I don't understand. If the netbook comes with Xp and I have an XP disc, what is the problem? Plus what does the phrase in bold mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand. If the netbook comes with Xp and I have an XP disc, what is the problem? Plus what does the phrase in bold mean?

TBH, pretty much the only netbooks coming with XP are old stock.

I don't understand why you are insisting on getting one with XP just because you have a XP CD. Do you realise that virtually all netbooks with come with a operating system pre-installed. In fact it will be harder to find one without a O/S then one with some type of O/S installed. In which case you are paying for the O/S and might as well get one with Windows 7. There is a already software such as IE9 which no longer works in XP.

And if you do buy one with XP then you will only end up with another XP license.

At the end of the day, its your choice.

As for the bold part, look at your XP CD, does it say OEM on it anywhere ? If so then the CD should only be used with the computer it was supplied with.
  • Options
    MeercatMeercat Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try novatech
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never (as yet) owned a netbook. But, since when did that stop people offering advice?

1. A netbook is, basically, a fully functional (single core processor) PC, except no built-in optical drive. It will come with some pre-installed version of Windows, maybe XP - since, easier on resources - or possibly Win7.

2. Make sure you have the recovery media, in case of problems! If no such disc included, then, backup the on-board recovery partition. Possibly using Ping.

http://ping.windowsdream.com/

(this will allow you to save the operatiog system backup files onto the Netbook's hard disk, you can then copy them to a memory stick or external hard or optical drive. Should the recovery partition be compromised - or the hard disk beocme faulty - then you can always recover the operating system!).

3. Since the "computing power" is basically that of a laptop of maybe 4 years back, it will do "most things". Including play DVDs, if you use an external drive! It's up to you what you put on it. Loadsa freeware online ............

4. Avoid a Linux based netbook, that's non-standard and will give you limited software choice. Avoid a solid state "hard disk", go for a proper one (the difference in power consumption is small!). Be careful about the battery. Most cheap netbooks are 3 cell, go for 6 cell if you want to use it on batteries for extended periods.

5. If using on Internet, take the usual anti-malware precautions! Either use the included (bundled) anti-malware, or buy a commercial package, or use one of the well-known freeware versions.

6. The Acer One is probably best known. It's fine, but, be aware the hard disk is 1.9 inch, should this need replacing. The MSI wind netbooks use a 2.5 inch disk, same as laptops.

(added) Packard Bell laptops have the so-called "TATTOO", which is an absolute pain if u ever need to replace the hard drive. I'm not sure about their netbooks .........

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20460
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our school, we deploy Samsung netbooks to some of the kids, and they seem very nice indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    HI

Are netbooks ok for storing music? and can you install word on them?

Yes and yes, office 2010 runs perfectly fine on my HP mini 210 though if you are using Windows 7 then I would recommend 2 GB of RAM.

if you want to store lots of media then obviously get one with a large hard drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. A netbook will run any software a laptop can, it just doesn't have a built in optical drive, that's all!

Most models are a single core processor. That will do most things just fine, including play video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Yes. A netbook will run any software a laptop can, it just doesn't have a built in optical drive, that's all!

Most models are a single core processor. That will do most things just fine, including play video.

Plays back 720p video (mks) no problems, struggles with 1080p rips though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you SEE 1080 on a netbook screen ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Can you SEE 1080 on a netbook screen ?

No, but you can with an external display.

I have installed a upgraded hard drive on mine and store all the kids media on there. Its great in the car, upto 9 hours baterry life, I bought a little tray that fits onto the back of the seat (like on a airplane) and they put it on there and can watch their stuff on there. Better then portable DVD player and I don't have to mess about converting formats, just copy media straight off my server and HTPC. Need k-lite code to play back media centre recorded files as it only has W7 starter so no media centre.

If I am visiting my parents then i hook it up to their TV via VGA (and seperate audio) and they can watch ther stuff, youtube, iplayer, play games, anything else.

The display will do 1920x1080 but 1080p playback of blu-ray rips is sadly just slightly beyond the N450 integrated intel graphics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH, pretty much the only netbooks coming with XP are old stock.

I don't understand why you are insisting on getting one with XP just because you have a XP CD. Do you realise that virtually all netbooks with come with a operating system pre-installed. In fact it will be harder to find one without a O/S then one with some type of O/S installed. In which case you are paying for the O/S and might as well get one with Windows 7. There is a already software such as IE9 which no longer works in XP.

And if you do buy one with XP then you will only end up with another XP license.

At the end of the day, its your choice.

As for the bold part, look at your XP CD, does it say OEM on it anywhere ? If so then the CD should only be used with the computer it was supplied with.

The netbooks I listed all come with XP OS. My disk isn't exactly a bought one - someone made it for me a few years ago. I have never had any problems with using it. It has an access code. It just gives me the word processing and xp documents.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    You don't need "the disc", just image the boot partition when you first get it, then you will have "the disc" you need to restore the system, if they don't provide it already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The netbooks I listed all come with XP OS. My disk isn't exactly a bought one - someone made it for me a few years ago. I have never had any problems with using it. It has an access code. It just gives me the word processing and xp documents.

OK, I assume this is some of priate CD with MS office etc ?

How you plan on using it, It would mean wiping the netbook and reinstalling with your hacked version and then reinstalling all the drivers, which to me seems like an awful lot of work.