Options

Which tablet / reader should I go for?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My hubby loved his Kindle, but it was one that broke just after the warranty expired as per TV's Watchdog programme. Right now he is using mine, I re-registered it in his name and I see no signs at all of getting it back! However, Christmas is fast approaching, so, guess what he's getting!

I am not sure of the way to go here, I have both an ipad3 and a kindle - he has nothing! :D He loves reading, music and playing cards on a PC. He also enjoys being able to watch 2 footie matches at the same time (TV and my ipad, which annoys the hell out of me!). We do like to take trips abroad where reading is done a lot, so battery time may be an issue.

Please can anyone advise me what I should look at for him, I don't really want to go over £400, and with so much on the market just now I am getting very :confused:.
Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    My hubby loved his Kindle, but it was one that broke just after the warranty expired as per TV's Watchdog programme. Right now he is using mine, I re-registered it in his name and I see no signs at all of getting it back! However, Christmas is fast approaching, so, guess what he's getting!

I am not sure of the way to go here, I have both an ipad3 and a kindle - he has nothing! :D He loves reading, music and playing cards on a PC. He also enjoys being able to watch 2 footie matches at the same time (TV and my ipad, which annoys the hell out of me!). We do like to take trips abroad where reading is done a lot, so battery time may be an issue.

Please can anyone advise me what I should look at for him, I don't really want to go over £400, and with so much on the market just now I am getting very :confused:.

Have you tried ringing Amazon ? We have had 2 replaced free of charge ..... if its just outside of the warranty mention the Sale of Goods Act ? might just get you a freebie ....

If not then its really down to preference. My wife has a kindle and loves it because of the size and battery life. she doesnt have to worry about charging every day or lugging a heavy(ish) or fragile (glass screen) tablet around. She wouldnt swap it for a tablet at all.

If he really wants a tablet he will have to live with the differences ....

One option if you have such a hefty budget might be to provide both options .... new kindle PLUS a nice 7" tablet.

Going for a Kindle (£80 ish ?) plus a Nexus 7 32gb (£199) would keep you well under budget. It would provide the kindle option for casual/poolside reading (etc) plus the tablet option for watching his movies or footie.

PLUS he has two pressies to open :)

I do think that tablets and e-readers are very different beasties. Whilst Im happy to read occasionally on my tablet(s) i think that a specific e-reader would be much better if i read a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Stuart, I will take a look at those options. I see the Nexus is Asus, and I know they have a decent reputation so I think you have a good solution with those two. Again, thanks!
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd tell him to keep mine, and buy me a replacement - not as a present though!:)
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Stuart, I will take a look at those options. I see the Nexus is Asus, and I know they have a decent reputation so I think you have a good solution with those two. Again, thanks!

The Nexus 7 has a very good reputation as its made 'hand in hand' with Google (who own/manage Android). If you want a 7" android tablet then you wont go wrong with the Nexus 7.

Like I say e-readers are very niche and loads of people love them for it. cheap(ish), light and battery lasts for weeks. Tablets are very different.

Get him both .... two boxes are better than one :)

.... and still under your £400 budget.