Options

Best option for broadband with no phone line?

Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am shortly to move into rented accommodation which has no phone line (selling my house and renting until I find somewhere to buy). What is the most cost effective option for getting on the net?

Dongle of some sort or actually getting to grips with the modern world and getting a smart phone?

I have a PAYG phone/text Nokia so know nothing about these modern ones you poke at with a finger. :blush:

Links to websites or an explanation which isn't too techy would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go down the mobile phone route make sure you get a tariff that includes "Tethering" as the process of connecting your phone to a computer to use the mobile data network is called. Not all tariffs allow tethering so check the small print carefully.

A mobile dongle might be a simpler option. Though if you are a heavy data user they can be a bit restrictive in their allowances. I use a Three dongle myself both as a back-up for my main broadband and when I'm away from home and not in range of a public WiFi hotspot.

They don't do the dongle I've got anymore but this is the current equivalent

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/ZTE/MF730M

I have it on a 1month rolling contract with a 5GB allowance which is OK for surfing the web and downloading e-mails.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Provided you get a good 3G signal at the house of course.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I am shortly to move into rented accommodation which has no phone line (selling my house and renting until I find somewhere to buy). What is the most cost effective option for getting on the net?

Dongle of some sort or actually getting to grips with the modern world and getting a smart phone?
    What I think would work better than a smartphone in your situation is a MiFi device. These are small boxes with their own battery and which take a mobile broadband 3G SIM and create a small WiFi zone - to which several devices can be connected in the normal WiFi manner.

It avoids running down the phone battery and enables a dedicated mobile-broadband-only SIM to be used for the Internet.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you get Three's One Plan for £20/month, you get unlimited tethering so can use your phone as a modem.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=3034

If you sign up to the One Plan from March though you'll only get 2GB/month data for tethering, so keep that in mind.
    BKM wrote: »
    What I think would work better than a smartphone in your situation is a MiFi device. These are small boxes with their own battery and which take a mobile broadband 3G SIM and create a small WiFi zone - to which several devices can be connected in the normal WiFi manner.

It avoids running down the phone battery and enables a dedicated mobile-broadband-only SIM to be used for the Internet.

That isn't an issue if you keep your phone plugged into the mains.

A MiFi device needs to be plugged in also to power it, so there is no advantage in that over tethering using a phone.

Also to bear in mind, to get Three's 15GB/month mobile broadband for £15.99/month, you need to commit to a 24 month contract, but with the One Plan you only need a 12 month contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Chrisjr for the information about tethering. I have seen it being used by people but didn't know what it was called.

Emptybox, thankfully the property is 700ft above sea level, so if I can't get signal there, there is something wrong! I did do a postcode check.

BKM I hadn't heard of Mifi. Looks a good option, but not certain how much data I would have to pay for. I am having trouble working out. On the link http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5756_MiFi
    There are two which are 24 month contracts. As I hope to find somewhere to buy in the next few months, I don't think I would want that. There is one on a rolling month by month contract, but do you have any idea what 5gb data will get me? Or would a 24 month contract be a better option? I think I am currently on 10gb but don't watch movies or listen to music. I have no idea how much of that I use. I would like the watching TV option, but it isn't necessary. I was going to get an unlimited package when I moved, but obviously can't do that until I am somewhere with a phone line.
    Any more help will be gratefully accepted. Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    If you get Three's One Plan for £20/month, you get unlimited tethering so can use your phone as a modem.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=3034

If you sign up to the One Plan from March though you'll only get 2GB/month data for tethering, so keep that in mind.

That isn't an issue if you keep your phone plugged into the mains.

A MiFi device needs to be plugged in also to power it, so there is no advantage in that over tethering using a phone.

Also to bear in mind, to get Three's 15GB/month mobile broadband for £15.99/month, you need to commit to a 24 month contract, but with the One Plan you only need a 12 month contract.

I am now getting a bit confused. I have only ever had a PAYG phone and I am not sure whether I have found the right bit of the website as your link went to a blank page. Do I gather correctly (or not!) that for that price, the phone is included? I am so not up to speed with how these things work. This is one option
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2651?tariff=2907
    Is that the sort of thing you were talking about? I am not a phone snob so as long as it will tether to my laptop and I can get a decent amount of broadband, I don't mind.

EDIT
    I currently am not looking at ditching my PAYG phone as everyone I know has the number and I don't know how easy it is to transfer it to a new device.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am now getting a bit confused. I have only ever had a PAYG phone and I am not sure whether I have found the right bit of the website as your link went to a blank page. Do I gather correctly (or not!) that for that price, the phone is included? I am so not up to speed with how these things work. This is one option
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2651?tariff=2907
    Is that the sort of thing you were talking about? I am not a phone snob so as long as it will tether to my laptop and I can get a decent amount of broadband, I don't mind.

EDIT
    I currently am not looking at ditching my PAYG phone as everyone I know has the number and I don't know how easy it is to transfer it to a new device.

No, the phone isn't included on the £20/month One Plan.

But a suitable smartphone that you can use with the One Plan sim only costs about £100.

You could just keep your PAYG phone and use your new smartphone just for the internet.

The link which you linked to is for the Ultimate Internet 500 plan. That plan doesn't include tethering. You need to be on the One Plan to use tethering.

Im not sure why it links to a blank page. If you copy and paste the url into your browser then it should show up.

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice_Pay_Monthly
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    For me there most certainly is as I use the MiFi most often on the window ledge on its own battery. I also use it with a PAYG 3 Broadband SIM - not a voice one!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Chrisjr for the information about tethering. I have seen it being used by people but didn't know what it was called.

Emptybox, thankfully the property is 700ft above sea level, so if I can't get signal there, there is something wrong! I did do a postcode check.

BKM I hadn't heard of Mifi. Looks a good option, but not certain how much data I would have to pay for. I am having trouble working out. On the link http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5756_MiFi
    There are two which are 24 month contracts. As I hope to find somewhere to buy in the next few months, I don't think I would want that. There is one on a rolling month by month contract, but do you have any idea what 5gb data will get me? Or would a 24 month contract be a better option? I think I am currently on 10gb but don't watch movies or listen to music. I have no idea how much of that I use. I would like the watching TV option, but it isn't necessary. I was going to get an unlimited package when I moved, but obviously can't do that until I am somewhere with a phone line.
    Any more help will be gratefully accepted. Thank you.
    Things like streaming video, be that TV programmes on the likes of iPlayer or movies from Netflix or Lovefilm, will eat into any data allowance the quickest. You could easily use up 5GB in a couple of evenings viewing! Especially if you choose an HD video to watch.

For just general web browsing and e-mailing 5GB is perfectly adequate. If it is only going to be a temporary situation a 1 month rolling contract might suit as you can cancel it whenever you like. With 12 or 24 month contracts there may be penalties for cancelling after a couple of months if you feel you are not going to need it after moving.

Though obviously if you go for a mobile phone and tethering option that may not be such a problem. And it may be possible to transfer your existing number to any new contract. You would need to ask any provider you move to about "porting" you old number.

If you don't want a phone then the options are the dongle or MiFi devices. A dongle just plugs into a USB port on your laptop. The advantage is that you don't have to faff around with powering it separately. However only the laptop it is plugged into can use it (easily) and where you sit to use the laptop might not be the optimum place for signal reception.

A MiFi unit allows several devices to share the data connection. Handy if you have a laptop and tablet for example and swap from one to the other as the mood takes you. Also as it is not physically connected to the devices it is serving it can be positioned to get the best mobile signal. The disadvantage is maybe needing mains power to keep the MiFi unit running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Things like streaming video, be that TV programmes on the likes of iPlayer or movies from Netflix or Lovefilm, will eat into any data allowance the quickest. You could easily use up 5GB in a couple of evenings viewing! Especially if you choose an HD video to watch.

For just general web browsing and e-mailing 5GB is perfectly adequate. If it is only going to be a temporary situation a 1 month rolling contract might suit as you can cancel it whenever you like. With 12 or 24 month contracts there may be penalties for cancelling after a couple of months if you feel you are not going to need it after moving.

Though obviously if you go for a mobile phone and tethering option that may not be such a problem. And it may be possible to transfer your existing number to any new contract. You would need to ask any provider you move to about "porting" you old number.

If you don't want a phone then the options are the dongle or MiFi devices. A dongle just plugs into a USB port on your laptop. The advantage is that you don't have to faff around with powering it separately. However only the laptop it is plugged into can use it (easily) and where you sit to use the laptop might not be the optimum place for signal reception.

A MiFi unit allows several devices to share the data connection. Handy if you have a laptop and tablet for example and swap from one to the other as the mood takes you. Also as it is not physically connected to the devices it is serving it can be positioned to get the best mobile signal. The disadvantage is maybe needing mains power to keep the MiFi unit running.

The only tablet I have is a paracetamol!! I am so not used to accessing the internet when out an about so something plugged in won't bother me. I might go to one of the local phone shops - there is a 3 one locally and get more information. At least I know more of what I am looking for.

Thank you.