Options

How dark is the Dean/Linda storyline going to go?

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Obsession - tick
Blackmail - tick

How far will this go? As a Dean fan, I'm uneasy. Matt's on a one-year contract so he's got to be in the show until at least next April.

At some point it's got to go one of two ways - Dean either does something very awful and there's no going back with his character, or he does something bad, but small, and he breaks down and that's where we see some character progression and he shreds some of the resentment he is carrying.

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyLAnthonyL Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking rape.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AnthonyL wrote: »
    I'm thinking rape.

I really hope not. If Matt's not back for good then possibly, but if he's staying, and giving longevity to the character, it could possibly be attempted rape or him kissing Linda - something so Dean could come back from it.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know people on here rant about rape but I genuinely think it might go that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know people on here rant about rape but I genuinely think it might go that way.

I do agree actually, although I don't want to as I love the character of Dean. I'm really not sure.

Maybe that's why Matt really objected to it at the start? Dean's time in prison has to be revealed though - I don't understand why it hasn't been mentioned.

Also, Matt said that Shirley takes his side on something in the future, which he is pleased about.....that doesn't sound like a rape accusation.
  • Options
    WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the whole "Linda wants another baby thing" could in some way foreshadow Linda becoming pregnant again. However, unfortunately following her being raped by Dean.

I'm not quite sure whether EastEnders would go down that route though. It's incredibly dark, and would be very difficult to watch.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deano has got a bit creepy too and Linda could hide it for a while as she tries to live with the ordeal.
  • Options
    Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    1.)He''ll either do something really bad like rape or beat her. Remember he said the girl he loved cheated on him so he shaved her head. He loves Linda and she is with Mick so he may began to abuse her.

2.) He'll try to kill Mick by shooting him or crashing with him in the car (may go wrong and kill Dean himself)

3.) He'll be found out before he does something and get his bits kicked in by Mick or someone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    WafcSean wrote: »
    Perhaps the whole "Linda wants another baby thing" could in some way foreshadow Linda becoming pregnant again. However, unfortunately following her being raped by Dean.

I'm not quite sure whether EastEnders would go down that route though. It's incredibly dark, and would be very difficult to watch.

At the beginning DTC has said that he wouldn't shy away from dark storylines though. If this happens, Dean can't be used as a throw away character - they are writing him so we are invested in him. He's not like Trevor where we weren't supposed to like him from the start. This is going to be very interesting.
    Deano has got a bit creepy too and Linda could hide it for a while as she tries to live with the ordeal.

Yeh that could definitely happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1.)He''ll either do something really bad like rape or beat her. Remember he said the girl he loved cheated on him so he shaved her head. He loves Linda and she is with Mick so he may began to abuse her.

2.) He'll try to kill Mick by shooting him or crashing with him in the car (may go wrong and kill Dean himself)

3.) He'll be found out before he does something and get his bits kicked in by Mick or someone

The second idea is very interesting. I prefer the third to happen though.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WafcSean wrote: »

TBH the rape plotline has been used a lot, whereas the creepy obsession is something a bit fresher.
    If Dean himself has been raped I hope that it leads to him not being able to do the act if it comes to it in Eastenders. I hope it doesn't go down that route re foreshadowing. Although the Shirleyreveal is bound to be on Christmas day I doubt the Dean obsession story will go on that long- its 6 months down the line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    TBH the rape plotline has been used a lot, whereas the creepy obsession is something a bit fresher.
    If Dean himself has been raped I hope that it leads to him not being able to do the act if it comes to it in Eastenders. I hope it doesn't go down that route re foreshadowing. Although the Shirleyreveal is bound to be on Christmas day I doubt the Dean obsession story will go on that long- its 6 months down the line.

I agree. In my opinion, the obsession should stay an obsession and be more about Dean's state of mind.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »

Stalking isn't featured much in soaps.
    Obsessions/stalking is a similar thing.

I think it would still be interesting , dark & uneasy to watch if they went that route but no going as far as rape.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    AnthonyL wrote: »
    I'm thinking rape.

Well it wouldn't be DS if somebody wasn't :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got slightly chills in the scene behind the bar tonight. :S
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I would like to see the obsession storyline go the whole hog. I'm thinking pictures of Linda all over his room. "Running into each other" everywhere they go. Waiting in the kitchen with a cup of tea for her every morning etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already feels dark. He was so creepy in the bar and the whole 'all women are liars' thing is really working in this story. The fact that now his 'second mum' is also hiding things from her kids is probably gonna mess with his head.

This forum does have a thing for rape but from my point of view its only because I think EE is at its best when it tackles hard hitting things...and frankly its been ages since the last rape storyline. The fact that they are the central family and its The Vic feels like an incredible xmas reveal 2015....possibly 2014 but I expect xmas 2014 will be Nick returning and focus on other Carter stuff like Sylvie and Mick finding out about Shirley being his mum so I dont think the will do a rape story as well. Maybe Dean could rape Linda New Year's Eve and build to an Xmas reveal. May well have been floated to even get Danny Dyer on board in the first place...saying they have all these plans and the length of time they need to tell the stories.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Oh gawd, not more rape talk. This forums' obsession with rape is really quite disturbing. I don't think he will rape her, it would ruin his character for one and second, I just don't think they will take that path. Well, I hope they don't.

It's always seems to end up with rape or similar concluding a s/l on soaps, I'd much rather see them tackle an obsession/stalker s/l which could lead to Dean being re-arrested when he leaves?

They have turned the tables on the Carters from the usual s/l, as this time it was Sylvie who was abusive not Stan, so it was the mother who was the bad parent, I hope they are being innovative on this Dean s/l as well and not just taking the normal soap rape route.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't go down the rape route. I think it would be too dark and kinda predictable.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its clear as day he will rape her. I called this as soon as I saw how weird Dean was being weeks ago. We also know Matt objected to a storyline he was concerned about but DTC talked him round. There is also a dark storyline coming up for Linda and Mick. All the signs do point to rape.

At a guess I will say he rapes her. Linda keeps it secret until Christmas. She confesses what happens to Mick, Mick goes into a rage with Dean and Shirley ends up revealing they are brothers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its clear as day he will rape her. I called this as soon as I saw how weird Dean was being weeks ago. We also know Matt objected to a storyline he was concerned about but DTC talked him round. There is also a dark storyline coming up for Linda and Mick. All the signs do point to rape.

At a guess I will say he rapes her. Linda keeps it secret until Christmas. She confesses what happens to Mick, Mick goes into a rage with Dean and Shirley ends up revealing they are brothers.

I suspect this may be close to how it pans out. You can imagine Mick being ready to do Dean some serious damage when Linda intervenes: "STOP! He's your brother!"
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it goes as far as rape i'll be very disappointed. It'd be predictable and sensationalist imo, Dean is damaged and needs help. Although he is proper creepy at the moment i don't believe he could be twisted enough to do that.

It'd also be a very easy way to absolve Shirley of ditching her kids too 'oh well he's a nutter so forget him, concentrate on your secret son who is nice'.

Also i think Kevin, who was a good man, must've had some influence on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it goes as far as rape i'll be very disappointed. It'd be predictable and sensationalist imo, Dean is damaged and needs help. Although he is proper creepy at the moment i don't believe he could be twisted enough to do that.

It'd also be a very easy way to absolve Shirley of ditching her kids too imo 'oh well he's a nutter so forget him, concentrate on your secret son who is nice'.

I agree. It'd be a get out card for Shirley.
    Being as Matt is in EE till at least April 2015 Im not sure a Christmas rape reveal would work- cos the character would be socially ostricised by his family & be hanging around the Square for months longer. Plus he's had quite an audience reaction do why get rid of the character prematurely??
    My main issue with him raping Linda is that it would be so damned hackneyed! Hope the writers are sophisticated to think of something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I completely echo the above points, it would be too predictable and I hope the writers have come up with somewhere else to take this, no doubt it will play a part in the reveal but I hope rape isn't involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way I want the storyline to involve rape is with us finding out that Dean was raped in jail. His mindset has to be discussed at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    The only way I want the storyline to involve rape is with us finding out that Dean was raped in jail. His mindset has to be discussed at some point.

I hope he wasn't raped in jail, a lot of things happen it jail, it doesn't always have to come back to rape. I don't know why this forum is obsessed with characters raping others or characters being raped...it's shocking and a bit...you know?:confused::o