Options

Christmas songs on loop in shops I pity the staff

Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
Forum Member
✭✭
It just got me thinking Christmas songs on loop in shops during the festive season must drive the staff crazy having to listen to that all day long I pity them it must be so annoying and i bet come Christmas day they dont want any songs on with their families at home

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I used to work in a high street retail years ago and it did.

It was an annual ritual, that at close of business on Christmas Eve the last thing we did before heading down the pub was to go to extreme lengths to destroy the Christmas songs tape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no excuse for playing the same old drivel year in and year out.
    There's thousands of great Christmas songs out there that require just a bit of imagination to play instead - for all kinds of tastes.

You could easily put together 200 great blues Christmas tracks. And there's at least 60 brilliant reggae Christmas records, several hundred Country and Western ones (although admittedly because most of them are just plain dumb funny) and folk/traditional ...
    hundreds of rock, heavy metal and punk. Not to mention some excellent chillout stuff that doesn't disappear up MOR street, or the acres of alt music since the early 90s.
    All of which are genuine Christmas songs, but with a different edge.
    And that's not even touched the great pop stuff that you never hear ...
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that after a while I could just tune them out, until someone would say

"Do you not get sick of hearing the same songs over and over?"

Then they would be back in my head>:(

My husband used to get great pleasure trying to find obscure Christmas songs that I had not heard, he never did find one.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Never mind the staff, at least they're getting paid to listen to it. The customer pays the retailer but gets no choice about the environment they shop in. That's why I buy on the net in preference to the high street more and more sadly.

If the retailers want to make it hard for me on the high street, then now I and tens of thousands of other customers can send them a message that they ignore at their peril. Don't the (big) stores realise what idiots they are being? To be honest though I never really notice the background music as I'm usually in a world of my own totally focussed on whatever I'm looking for. Music...what music?!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Working at my store has made me HATE Christmas songs. The ONLY ones i like that we play are Smashing Pumpkins "Christmastime" and No Doubt's version of "Oi To The World"

The classic i still like is "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETHJ-vQGwI

Jingle Bells for 10 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SequShor wrote: »
    I used to work in a high street retail years ago and it did.

It was an annual ritual, that at close of business on Christmas Eve the last thing we did before heading down the pub was to go to extreme lengths to destroy the Christmas songs tape.

That is so funny :D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    My chain has had the same 30/40 songs playing on loop for the whole time i have worked there, been over 4 years now, 10 hours per day 5 days per week.

The only time it changes is the month leading up to Christmas, we all look forward to that month as for those few weeks we get something different.

To the person saying "never mind the staff", remember we are there in the shop , day in , day out listening to it, and we have to listen to the customers moan at us about it as well, as if it we choose to listen to the same shite for 11 months a year.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    My friend used to work in a shop where the management would allow the staff to bring their own CDs in to play over the year, but that the run up to Christmas was dreaded as the management then insisted on Christmas shite on loop.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest the store I worked in christmas songs were a relief from the usual one cd that had been on loop the rest of the year.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Our work playlist goes like this:

Winter Wonderland
    I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause
    Silver Bells
    Wonderful Christmastime
    Jingle Bells
    Santa Baby
    Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
    Another version of Winter Wonderland
    All I Want For Christmas Is You

repeat ad nauseam. >:(
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Where is all the punctuation?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a shop girl all through Uni (actually started as a Christmas Temp) so I did several Christmases.

They had more than one CD [often 3 or 4 on the go] and not all the songs were festive. Maybe every 3rd song? As others say you just kind of tuned it out in the end.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I worked at the airport I binned th er cassette which was the ad nauseum wizzard, etc crap, and played mine instead; unusual christmas records by gladys knight and the pips,nina simone, nat king cole, etc. -There's so much great Christmas records out there!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Our work playlist goes like this:

Winter Wonderland
    Silver Bells
    Wonderful Christmastime
    Jingle Bells
    Santa Baby
    Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
    All I Want For Christmas Is You

repeat ad nauseam. >:(

At least you were spared "Driving home for Christmas"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Covering itself in glitter and waiting to hang on the Christmas tree.
    Singing crap Christmas songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »

This forum grammar police thing is pathetic
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    I found that after a while I could just tune them out, until someone would say

"Do you not get sick of hearing the same songs over and over?"

Then they would be back in my head>:(

My husband used to get great pleasure trying to find obscure Christmas songs that I had not heard, he never did find one.

Christmas alphabet?.....;-)
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    We used to have decent songs all year round at my place of work. Our customers even asked if we sold the CD!!!

But then the company decided they needed to cut costs, the music being one of them.

Now we have shit covers of good songs, you know like "The Rock Tribute Bands" version of Coldplay's Paradise, really terrible.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wouldn't put up with crap 70s novelty hits at any other time of year - why should be tolerate it at the one time of year we're meant to be enjoying ourselves - Christmas? Something should be done to stop this annual noise pollution.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas alphabet?.....;-)

Oh yes!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Chriiiisttmaaaaaaaaasssss!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Chriiiisttmaaaaaaaaasssss!
    Recorded in NY in July, in a heatwave :D
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a shop girl when I was doing my A-levels, and this was the only thing I hated more than the customers in December. (I only worked on Saturdays - I feel sorry for those who worked their during the week.)