EE: Am I the only one who loved the Baby swap storyline?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
It was gripping throughout and it was a good way of showing how desperate Ronnie was to have a child after losing Danielle. Things like this have happened in real life and it's great that TPTB brushed up on that.

And can I just say that because I enjoyed the storyline doesn't make me "sick" or a "horrible human being", I simply loved the way it went and I don't believe it deserved so many complaints. It's a fictional television show, trying to blend into reality.

Comments

• lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A change in the show was very noticeable when Peggy left, and Kat and Alfie took over the vic, however the show still remained exciting and very watchable for quite some time, and I think this storyline was one of the things that helped! I enjoyed it, but I felt like it was rushed tbf! Other than the swap itself, the funeral and the reveal, not many key events happened, and it felt like there was a big 3 month gap... But yes, it was a good storyline. Although it was quite silly, it was enjoyable! The show after that storyline though, just got worst and worst! The start of 2011 was quite good, and I think this was one of the reasons, but it was still bad compared to the start of 2010! After the baby swap storyline, the show started to deteriorate, it only started picking itself back up when DTC came in, and the show is getting much better now, with interesting storylines, which seem to be interesting most fans, and people on social media!:)
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Nope. I thought it was an emotionally breathtaking piece of drama.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great IMO. It was just the backlash in criticism which gave it a bad reputation. I loved it when Kat & Alfie got their baby back though.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it throughout! Was a good story!
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have if Kirkwood hadn't bottled it.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    attitude99 wrote: »
    It was great IMO. It was just the backlash in criticism which gave it a bad reputation. I loved it when Kat & Alfie got their baby back though.
    MrJames wrote: »
    Nope. I thought it was an emotionally breathtaking piece of drama.
    Firegazer wrote: »
    It was gripping throughout and it was a good way of showing how desperate Ronnie was to have a child after losing Danielle. Things like this have happened in real life and it's great that TPTB brushed up on that.

And can I just say that because I enjoyed the storyline doesn't make me "sick" or a "horrible human being", I simply loved the way it went and I don't believe it deserved so many complaints. It's a fictional television show, trying to blend into reality.

I enjoyed it too.
  • AlyalAlyal Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the drama of it all, really gripping and some fantastic acting. I really wish they had continued it to the climax they had in store instead of ending it early, I think it would have been amazing.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,273
    Forum Member
    No i enjoyed it too. I like Risky EastEnders and this was on a whole new level. Fantastic performances too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alyal wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the drama of it all, really gripping and some fantastic acting. I really wish they had continued it to the climax they had in store instead of ending it early, I think it would have been amazing.

What was the original ending?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

I didn't mind it at all. I thought the controversy was a fuss over nothing, an excuse for BBC bashing by its media rivals.
    From what I gather the main problem was how Ronnie was being depicted as a grieving, mentally ill woman with poss postnatal depression.
    Yet we didn't get a storm of protest over "mad May" & that depiction of mental illness just a few years earlier.
    I do wonder, if Dean is being depicted as having mental health or self esteem issues whether a similar situation might arise after the upcoming rape storyline is aired.
    Sometimes people with mental health issues do bad things, it's the truth.
    Other times they don't. To be fair I think soaps are able to depict this both ways.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. It was storyline i never would of dreamed of any soap doing. A story i never thought would exist but i am glad it never ran until until xmas as planned.
    It also allowed me to appreciate Jesse Wallace much more an actress who gave some heartbreaking performances throughout it all. Especially in the aftermath.

I think the backlash over it was ridiculous personally.
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was beyond painful to watch.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe it. Baby swapping stories are the pits in soap opera along with flash men wanting to sleep woman when they owe money, I HATE those stories.

I also hated pretty much ALL the key players of the baby swap story and for me it totally finished Ronnie as a character.
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe it. Baby swapping stories are the pits in soap opera along with flash men wanting to sleep woman when they owe money, I HATE those stories.

I also hated pretty much ALL the key players of the baby swap story and for me it totally finished Ronnie as a character.

Yes! She was one of the "smarter" ones on Albert Square. Painful to have watched her morph into a pathetic, desperate sorry sap. :(
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,241
    Forum Member
    Though it was well acted and Ronnie's history did make it clear that losing James had pushed her over the edge and not every mother who lost a baby to SIDS would kidnap a baby (the main concern) I'm afraid it did leave a bad taste in my mouth to watch. Just a SIDS storyline would have been traumatic enough, to throw in a baby swap as well was overkill and purely done to sensationalise it.

Whilst I didn't complain and wouldn't have stopped watching over ut, I did understand why so many viewers found it so upsetting and was glad they cut it short - even though it did pretty much bugger up the rest of the year as they didn't have viable storylines to replace it for kat, Alfie and Jack.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Though it was well acted and Ronnie's history did make it clear that losing James had pushed her over the edge and not every mother who lost a baby to SIDS would kidnap a baby (the main concern) I'm afraid it did leave a bad taste in my mouth to watch. Just a SIDS storyline would have been traumatic enough, to throw in a baby swap as well was overkill and purely done to sensationalise it.

Whilst I didn't complain and wouldn't have stopped watching over ut, I did understand why so many viewers found it so upsetting and was glad they cut it short - even though it did pretty much bugger up the rest of the year as they didn't have viable storylines to replace it for kat, Alfie and Jack.

I thought replacing it with the masood's and yusef was done brilliantly.
    Forum Member
    I thought replacing it with the masood's and yusef was done brilliantly.

I'd assumed that storyline was always going to have happened since Yusef first appeared in Jan 11 at the same time as the baby swap started.
  • Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I hated it so much I haven't watched an episode since Jan 2011.
  • writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a great storyline, but vastly overshadowed by the baby swap itself. The real focus of the storyline was cot death and exploring the grief and other issues surrounding cot death, the baby swap was something that allowed it to be explored with both Kat and Alfie as well as Jack and Ronnie but the media hype focusing on the actual swap undervalued the potential the cot death storyline had. Even the way its referred as the baby swap storyline rather than the cot death storyline sadly shows this.
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see it, as I don't watch 'stenders but obviously heard about it.

One thing you can maybe explain to me though, how did Kat and Alfie not notice the baby who'd died wasn't theirs? Surely you'd recognise your own child? Did they never interact with Ronnie and see their baby was alive and with her?

I know babies look a bit similar, ie bald, chubby, but you'd know your own surely?
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,253
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »

I agree. :)
    Forum Member
    fayemian wrote: »
    I didn't see it, as I don't watch 'stenders but obviously heard about it.

One thing you can maybe explain to me though, how did Kat and Alfie not notice the baby who'd died wasn't theirs? Surely you'd recognise your own child? Did they never interact with Ronnie and see their baby was alive and with her?

I know babies look a bit similar, ie bald, chubby, but you'd know your own surely?

Well the babies were only a day old and Kat had spent most of it in hospital with post birth complications and Alfie stayed with her so they hadn't actually spent that much time the Tommy.

Kat did claim that it wasn't her baby shen she saw the corpse but the they were told that was a normal reaction of a giving parent so nobody believed her and fairly soon she accepted that argument.
  • AlyalAlyal Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Boofie wrote: »
    What was the original ending?

I don't know what the original ending was but I am sure in an interview with Shane Ritchie just before the episode aired he mentioned that the climax wouldn't happen for at least a year. I think in that time we would have seen Ronnie either struggle like we did or she would have bonded with the child and denied everything.

I found the storyline very sad instead of unbelievable. I am not saying every mother who loses a child wants to kidnap another but the overwhelming emotions of her wanting to comfort a baby made her lose her senses. They could have done so much with Ronnie & Jack in that time.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alyal wrote: »
    I don't know what the original ending was but I am sure in an interview with Shane Ritchie just before the episode aired he mentioned that the climax wouldn't happen for at least a year. I think in that time we would have seen Ronnie either struggle like we did or she would have bonded with the child and denied everything.

I found the storyline very sad instead of unbelievable. I am not saying every mother who loses a child wants to kidnap another but the overwhelming emotions of her wanting to comfort a baby made her lose her senses. They could have done so much with Ronnie & Jack in that time.

I think that was the problem, hearing the story wasn't going to end for a year. Obviously stories that are resolved too quickly do lose credibility but there is a balance and although it's a very serious subject it is a soap at the end of the day and it went on for far too long and that was why there was the backlash with people wanting it to end sooner. The Lucy Beale story is going the same way and I am tired of it already. Eastenders seems to be drowning in doom and gloom again at the moment and it needs some moments of light relief too. It just gets too depressing.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    No I hated it so much I haven't watched an episode since Jan 2011.

You do know the Baby Swap isn't going on anymore... right?