Songs that make you switch off/change station

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
Happy ...Pharell......over and year since it came out and still on every hour on Heart !
I WIll Survive....the only song Gloria Gaynor has ever released aparently..ruined by Karaoke.
Next up is a queen song....its bound to be Dont stop me now.

Liked all these songs at first but overplayed.

Total Eclipse of the Heart,
I Will always love you
Everything I do
Any TAke That song,
Aint Nobody - Chaka Khan

Why do they play the same song by an artist/group , there are loads to choose from.

Comments

• ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I hardly hear Bonnie Tyler on the radio now.
    Most 2013/14 music makes me switch off. Not all, but most.
    And I'm the same with Take That and any individual member. Instant switch off for them!
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Happy ...Pharell......over and year since it came out and still on every hour on Heart !
    I WIll Survive....the only song Gloria Gaynor has ever released aparently..ruined by Karaoke.
    Next up is a queen song....its bound to be Dont stop me now.

Liked all these songs at first but overplayed.

Total Eclipse of the Heart,
    I Will always love you
    Everything I do
    Any TAke That song,
    Aint Nobody - Chaka Khan

Why do they play the same song by an artist/group , there are loads to choose from.

Agree with you with all those songs. Plus The Human League "Don't You Want Me" and any of the three million (or so it seems) versions of "Unchained Melody"
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Come On Eileen.

The Archers theme - never gets beyond the first 3 notes (dum-di-dumm: off)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything by Take That, Barlow or Williams.

Instantly off!

Same goes for any tired, knackered song that has been played to death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hardly hear Bonnie Tyler on the radio now.

A shame really. And an even bigger shame only 'Total Eclipse...' or 'Holding out for a hero' get played when she's on the radio.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Any Christmas song from the 70's and 80's I am sick of hearing the same ones over and over.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Simply Red, U2 and any of the 3 Crowded House songs that all sound the same (Weather With You, Four Seasons in One Day and the other one)
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The psychology of playlists is something that most people in radio don't seem particularly interested in as it's to do with the aesthetics of music rather than the popularity of songs. But there are times when a song you've heard a thousand times before comes on the radio and it sounds great, and other times when the same song sounds terrible. It's all about context: which other songs does that song work best when played back-to-back, whether it has the right rhythm or even the right key changes to fit in with other songs. Even the weather can make a difference to whether you enjoy a particular song on a specific day.

Unfortunately, most of those factors are outwith the control or knowledge of radio programmers. They aren't interested in whether a song sounds right on a sunny morning in January or a rainy afternoon in August, just whether it fits the format.
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Michael Buble, especially the Xmas songs at the moment. His awful auto-tuned vocals make it just like listening to a robot sing!
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by the Lighthouse Family - instant switch off
  • ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    A shame really. And an even bigger shame only 'Total Eclipse...' or 'Holding out for a hero' get played when she's on the radio.

The one I used to hear a lot on the radio till recently believe it or not was "Lost in France"! I wouldn't mind hearing "Faster Than the Speed of Night" every now and then, possibly because it's my favourite! ☺
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Bluebells - Young at heart..........click.

On a similar vein:

Now it's time for though for the day - click

...time for Saturday Live - click
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    krob2 wrote: »
    Anything by the Lighthouse Family - instant switch off

They were awful then, they sound just as awful now!

I caught Smooth Radio playing Lemar the other day :o:o:o
    Has he ever been played anywhere since 2005?!?
    It was off quick as a flash, but then again, most of Smooth's funeral tunes have that effect on me
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Johnny Cash
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I used to hear a lot on the radio till recently believe it or not was "Lost in France"! I wouldn't mind hearing "Faster Than the Speed of Night" every now and then, possibly because it's my favourite! ☺

Ooh I like 'Lost in France' but I think 'It's a Heartache' is Bonnie at her best! :)

As it's Christmas 'It's a Rockin' Good Way' would be a fun tune to play too ;-)
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Pharrell Williams - Happy
  • GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any Christmas song or anything by Ben Howard, Paulo Nutini, James Blunt and similar annoying singer songwriters
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Ghost" by Ella Henderson - Ella has since had two more hits since this was released, yet the Bauer FM stations are obsessed with playing "Ghost" to death.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Happy" for me as well.

Also Journey - Don't Stop Believing.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aztec Camera - "Somewhere in my heart" and Men at Work "Down Under"
    They have had better songs for goodness sake!
    As for "Happy" by Pharell Williams? Well the beauty of that song is that you don't have to buy it. Just tune around the FM band and you are bound to hear it sooner or later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aztec Camera - "Somewhere in my heart"

Surely that was the only song they ever had? It's been played daily since 1988! ;-)

How Men Are
    Deep & Wide & Tall
    Oblivious

Much better songs in my opinion and just as radio friendly!
  • number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't this show what a stranglehold a small number of radio groups have and how limited their playlist are?
    The one that says it all to me is Drivin home for Christmas from Chris Rea. When I think of all the great blues stuff he has done, it drives me nuts but I expect that it's great for his pension pot!
  • marflittsmarflitts Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Alan58 wrote: »
    Anything by Johnny Cash

What even Hurt?
  • Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Right now - The Fairytale of New York. WAY too overplayed.
    This Christmas I've not heard a single play of Oasis "Whatever"
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tainted Love - Soft Cell

detest it.