Options

Kevin and Frankie Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDarcy wrote: »
    Personally I much prefer to see a really well done dance with minimal lifts! If she's not comfortable doing lifts it's sensible to have as few as possible. One or two good lifts is better than loads of messy ones.
    robbleona wrote: »
    Yes, I remember susanna reed last year, sophie too...in both their routines there were too many half-baked lifts in the final dances...

I agree with minimal lifts.

Indeed, I think having too many lifts is the biggest danger in showdance choreography, especially when it's the celebrity who's female.

It has never been clear that lifts have a big appeal to the public, and even though lifts require skill on the woman's part, they often seem very passive to viewers -- with the woman seeming lifted or, worse, carried -- and the man doing all the work. This was a problem that plagued Dancing on Ice and probably helped finish it off.

A small number of high quality lifts in which the woman is clearly doing something can be good, but anything else carries great danger.

Also: all the practice time spend on lifts is time not spent on things that are better at showing dancing ability.
    The problem I see though is that the paso, though looking really good in week 5 or whatever, is not going to compete with the 10's that will inevitably go to simon's AT and caroline's charleston. THAT will put real pressure on f&k's showdance...

I think that adding the Charleston was the worst ever change to SCD. Being goofy, doing rubbish 'acrobatics', and making faces should not be point-winners, but in the Charleston they are (at least in typical Strictly Charlestons). (I LOATHED the "Cola" so-called "Charleston" that helped Chris Hollins win.)

Anyway, I think the Paso is a good choice, if they can make it better than it was in week 5. It has a good 'performance' element that shows how Frankie can get into a character that's very different from her usual self, and it has the potential to be very crowd pleasing.
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    I agree with minimal lifts.

Indeed, I think having too many lifts is the biggest danger in showdance choreography, especially when it's the celebrity who's female.

It has never been clear that lifts have a big appeal to the public, and even though lifts require skill on the woman's part, they often seem very passive to viewers -- with the woman seeming lifted or, worse, carried -- and the man doing all the work. This was a problem that plagued Dancing on Ice and probably helped finish it off.

A small number of high quality lifts in which the woman is clearly doing something can be good, but anything else carries great danger.

Also: all the practice time spend on lifts is time not spent on things that are better at showing dancing ability.

I think that adding the Charleston was the worst ever change to SCD. Being goofy, doing rubbish 'acrobatics', and making faces should not be point-winners, but in the Charleston they are (at least in typical Strictly Charlestons). (I LOATHED the "Cola" so-called "Charleston" that helped Chris Hollins win.)

Anyway, I think the Paso is a good choice, if they can make it better than it was in week 5. It has a good 'performance' element that shows how Frankie can get into a character that's very different from her usual self, and it has the potential to be very crowd pleasing.

Well I hope you are right...looking at the training vids on ITT tonight, it is obvious the others are all going for the spectacular......if frankie and kevin are doing 3 minutes of ballroom, then the paso has to be good. I still would have preferred the tango.
    The vid of f&k didn't show an awful lot...caroline's on the other hand showed several big lifts.......
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all but confirmed they'll be doing the Samba as the judges' choice.

I'm not sure what to think of this tbh.
  • Options
    Cal ChristopherCal Christopher Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I actually think they've been subliminally favouring Frankie. I mean let's take the fact that they've partnered her with arguably the most popular Strictly professional dancer. Second of all, they wanted her last year and she was the FIRST celebrity to be announced in the line up this year (there have also been claims that the producers wanted her the most). Also, she was left until last on the opening show to receive her partner which tells us that the producers were trying to hyper her up the most.

In regards to the judges choosing the Samba, the Judges Choice dance are typically dances that the performer needs to improve upon or could've been done better had no mistakes been made (hense why they've given Caroline her American Smooth again). I have a theory that the reason why they've been moderately harsh with Frankie and restricted her scoring despite her dancing exceptionally is so she doesn't peak too early - there's no better place to peak than in the final, right? I honesty reckon that the judges have done Frankie a favour by awarding Caroline 40 for a less-than-perfect Salsa as it caused quite a backlash from people saying that it wasn't worthy of full marks however Frankie's Argentine Tango was; this would've caused people to pick up the phone and vote for Frankie. Now that Frankie is yet to score a perfect 40/40, the final will be her prime opportunity to do so and if she manages to do it then it'll be all the more spectacular (especially if it's for her show dance).

I have believed that Frankie has been the producers favourite from the start and I still do. Even if they were against Frankie, they haven't succeeded in doing anything about it, in fact they've failed miserably as Frankie and Kevin are the only couple not to have been n the Dance-Off.
  • Options
    GeorgeMarshGeorgeMarsh Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember to create as many BBC accounts for tomorrow to vote online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think they've been subliminally favouring Frankie. I mean let's take the fact that they've partnered her with arguably the most popular Strictly professional dancer. Second of all, they wanted her last year and she was the FIRST celebrity to be announced in the line up this year (there have also been claims that the producers wanted her the most). Also, she was left until last on the opening show to receive her partner which tells us that the producers were trying to hyper her up the most.

In regards to the judges choosing the Samba, the Judges Choice dance are typically dances that the performer needs to improve upon or could've been done better had no mistakes been made (hense why they've given Caroline her American Smooth again). I have a theory that the reason why they've been moderately harsh with Frankie and restricted her scoring despite her dancing exceptionally is so she doesn't peak too early - there's no better place to peak than in the final, right? I honesty reckon that the judges have done Frankie a favour by awarding Caroline 40 for a less-than-perfect Salsa as it caused quite a backlash from people saying that it wasn't worthy of full marks however Frankie's Argentine Tango was; this would've caused people to pick up the phone and vote for Frankie. Now that Frankie is yet to score a perfect 40/40, the final will be her prime opportunity to do so and if she manages to do it then it'll be all the more spectacular (especially if it's for her show dance).

I have believed that Frankie has been the producers favourite from the start and I still do. Even if they were against Frankie, they haven't succeeded in doing anything about it, in fact they've failed miserably as Frankie and Kevin are the only couple not to have been n the Dance-Off.

I just saw this post on Buzzjack haha :p

I do kind of agree with you that she has been given quite a few privileges on the show, perhaps subliminally (watch her come 4th now..)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Completely disagree.....they didn't 'subliminally favour' her when they put her bottom of the leader board in the QF's.....they put her in danger of going out...only the great british public saved them. PASHA IS ALSO VERY WELL LIKED, in case you hadn't noticed! And as for picking dances they can improve on, how come simons judges choice is his Argentine Tango?? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    It's all but confirmed they'll be doing the Samba as the judges' choice.

I'm not sure what to think of this tbh.

I think they should have chosen the one that maybe WOULD have been the difference between winning and third or fourth place.........the TANGO!! WTF?? TALK ABOUT DEFYING GRAVITY....I MEAN LOGIC!! :confused:

Rant over....get voting tomorrow guys, make sure they at least make the last three and GET TO DANCE the judges choice...however bad a choice it is.

PS on breakfast bbc this morning they interviewed all 4 finalists..as they interviewed caroline and mark, frankie and kevin were rehearsing......to 'la bamba', looked like a quickstep?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely disagree.....they didn't 'subliminally favour' her when they put her bottom of the leader board in the QF's.....they put her in danger of going out...only the great british public saved them. PASHA IS ALSO VERY WELL LIKED, in case you hadn't noticed! And as for picking dances they can improve on, how come simons judges choice is his Argentine Tango?? :confused:

Okay:

First bit in bold - Often people say those at the bottom of the leaderboard and top of the leaderboard are actually least in danger - it's the people in the middle that are at risk the most. I think they may have "favoured" Frankie in the QF because it created the illusion that Frankie was 5th of 6 and Pixie much safer at 2nd, whereas in actual fact, Frankie was 3rd and Pixie was 2nd (taking into account the points).

Second bit in bold - Kevin seems to be equally as popular. Pasha has been in two dance offs before, Kevin has been in none ;-)

Third bit in bold - The Argentine Tango is Simon & Kristina's personal choice. They'll only dance it if they get through to the top three. I think the judges might choose his Salsa or Quickstep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have chosen the one that maybe WOULD have been the difference between winning and third or fourth place.........the TANGO!! WTF?? TALK ABOUT DEFYING GRAVITY....I MEAN LOGIC!! :confused:

Rant over....get voting tomorrow guys, make sure they at least make the last three and GET TO DANCE the judges choice...however bad a choice it is.

PS on breakfast bbc this morning they interviewed all 4 finalists..as they interviewed caroline and mark, frankie and kevin were rehearsing......to 'la bamba', looked like a quickstep?

"La Bamba" was their week seven Samba music.

I was thinking about this in bed last night (by which point I had accepted they wouldn't be reprising the Tango): maybe it's actually a blessing that they aren't doing the Tango. The logistics of Frankie being green, in the wig, wouldn't work with the time constraints of the final, and I think that alone would lose some of the magic of the dance. Also, if they were to make a mistake it could tarnish how fantastically we saw it first time, and also, it was so great in week six that it wouldn't leave them any room for improvement.

Perhaps it's better just to leave it in Halloween week. :)
  • Options
    Cal ChristopherCal Christopher Posts: 268
    Forum Member

She may have been at the bottom of the leaderboard however the fact that they put her second in the Waltz-A-Thon made her tied third. Also, if the judges had over scored her for Salsa, that would've caused backlash causing people to vote for other couples out of spite.

Also, I never said Pasha wasn't popular. Did you just make that up? What I said was Kevin is ARGUABLY on of the most popular professional dancers.

Oh, as Stuart has said: Simon's Argentine Tango is his choice, not his judges.
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember to create as many BBC accounts for tomorrow to vote online.

Sneaky. Was thinking of going with my two other email addresses along with the one already registered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that they're talking about the Wicked Tango on ITT knowing they're probably not going to perform it tomorrow :(
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find it hard to distinguish that from an anti-Frankie post. Producers' favourite? :(

It also looks like a conspiracy theory. Why would the judges risk their reputation and careers, why would the producers risk theirs and the possibility of great damage to one of the BBC's most high profile shows, by restricting someone's scoring rather than marking honestly what they thought the dance deserved?

How do you subliminally favour someone anyway? Do you mean subconsciously? :confused:
  • Options
    JDarcyJDarcy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    To get back on a more positive note-

I'm appreciating how genuinely grateful Kevin and Frankie are for all the support they get, especially on twitter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie and Kevin's odds are shortening across the board this morning:

http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/strictly-come-dancing/winner

Perhaps it's not the foregone conclusion some of us thought? :D
    Also, I hate to be gloating, but there is quite a negative article about Caroline's past experience in the Daily Mail today :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Frankie doesn't finish 4th!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Daily Star, Frankie has been polling the most votes for the last few weeks :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to the Daily Star, Frankie has been polling the most votes for the last few weeks :D

Not doing the 'wicked' tango is a big big blow though. It would have pulled in kids' votes who like 'frozen', not to mention the usual fans who vote every week. WHY was it not chosen by the judges or k&f?? Too difficult to spray f=green paint?? That could be the difference between first and third or fourth.
    Better get voting guys and girls....they need our help!!
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

This would make my day if true especially after the Caroline revelations in the DM this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/caM4LBWRQ0c

Frankie and Kevin In this weeks The Saturdays flip/video blog. Their so cute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie is now BOOKIES FAVOURITE (:o!!) on some sites :D :

http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/strictly-come-dancing/winner
  • Options
    CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be voting solely for Frankie tonight on my 8 BBC accounts ;-);-)
  • Options
    JDarcyJDarcy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I'll be voting online and chucking a few phone votes in, been trying to convince everyone I know to vote for them (nearly all of them already support her, they just don't generally vote)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll use my three online votes for them tonight. I'm still not convinced that using multiple accounts actually works, but I'll give it a try.

I'll be doing like 20 phone votes on top of that too :blush::p